The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Torque Converter`s

MONKEYmark

hi

just been looking into ordering a Torque Converter from america.the level one TC you have to send your stock TC to america to get it upgraded. i did not fancy doing that. wanted to buy one outright to save the messing about. the level 2 is all in one price. but it is a 4000 rpm stall and with only having stock turbos think it might be overkill. dont want car to drive like a bag of nuts n bolts. just dont know how streetable they are. only person i have heard has one is leon. they are supposed to be a good mod for your car.

does anyone have any experience of been in a car with an upgraded TC. just dont want to buy the wrong one. got a private message from an american with a t66 and PRECISION INDUSTRIES TC 3500-3600 rpm stall. he was saying its one of his best mods he has done. think i will go with one of them. just waiting for a reply.

http://www.levelten.com/index.html

leon does level 10 make not heard of them or how good they are. just trying to decide what to do for best.

Sound Performance Torque Converter Level 1

ITEM # SP TC Level 1

The Level 1 if for up to 750hp with a stall of 3200rpm. This is ideal for stock twin turbos & small single turbos. This is a rebuilt & modified stock converter with new bearings, modified impeller, & turbine. This converter is sold with exchange only! When you order we will contact you regarding the exchange process.

Your Price $750.00

Sound Performance Torque Converter Level 2

ITEM # SP TC Level 2

The Level 1 if for HP levels from 750 - 1500 & features a high stall of 4000rpm's. It is recommended for any turbo the same size or bigger than the SP63. This converter features upgraded lock up clutch plates. They are the largest clutch plates available for this size of converter. Level 2 will also offer a CNC machined turbine hub, sealed Torrington bearings, furnace brazed impeller & turbine, anti-ballooning plate, reinforced turbine vanes, & heat treated Precision hubs. All converters are balanced & pressure tested.

Your Price $1,200.00

info on torque converter`s

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter4.htm

click below link for a mpg file of a bloke explaining how they work.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/mpeg/torque.mpg

PRECISION INDUSTRIES

http://www.converter.com/index.htm

The adverage gain on the 9 1/2-inch torque converter series is 2 tenths on 60 foot and up top 3/4 of a second on overall elapsed times in the 1/4 mile. The average horsepower gain is up to 40-50 horsepower to the rear wheels due to the torque multiplication and increased stall speed.

heres some more info not supra specific but intresting to read.

http://www.victrans.com/upgrades-prostall.html

VATS Mustang Pro Stall T/C

Help is here to increase the performance of your 5.0L Mustangs. In the past few months, articles have been published on how a bolt in "High Stall" torque converter can increase your performance. With a Canadian engineered and manufactured torque converter (T/C) by Victoria Automatic Transmission Service (VATS) Your 1/4 mile times can be improved by as much as 1/2 second while adding more reliability over the stock 5.0L package and creating a much more enjoyable and exciting vehicle to drive.

Improving Your Mustang

A common first step in modifying one's Mustang is to install 3.73 differential gears. After this step if your performance goals have not yet been realized, conventional thinking would lead you to engine modifications (headers, prom upgrade, nitrous, ect). In a standard transmission vehicle, the engine would be the next location for modifications and upgrades. However, in an Automatic OverDrive (AOD) Mustang the next weak link is the torque converter. The installation of a performance T/C can offer one of the highest bolt on performance per dollar gains available!

The Stock Converter

In the manufacture of a stock AOD torque converter at the factory, Ford used many "off the shelf components" to make up the matrix of the unit. In doing so they developed a T/C with good all around drive ability and fuel economy. High performance was not the only priority. With a torque converter custom designed for your application, drive line durability and performance are the key priorities.

VATS Mustang Pro Stall T/C

The installation of a VATS Mustang Pro Stall T/C will allow the engine to rev into its power band faster with less lag time and immediate acceleration ie: light to light, bye bye Chevys! This acceleration increase is achieved by a change in torque multiplication from 1.85:1 (stock) to 2.5:1 (VATS Mustang Pro). For example, a typical stock 5.0L engine producing 250ft/lbs. The stock converter would deliver (250 X 1.85) 462.5ft/lbs to the input of the trans. The VATS Mustang Pro would deliver (250 X 2.5) 625ft/lbs of torque to the trans. This Torque Multiplication increase is achieved by using a different style of stock stator.

the idea behind stall rates on TC's is to build boost before launch. if u wanna b launching at 4k rpm (which should provide good boost :) ) go for it. dont forget that on the street its generally gonna b revving to 4k before it really starts moving under slight / moderate loads.

u could also do to cool that tranny fluid as well. at 4k rpm ur gonna b putting alot of energy into the fluid which will heat it up in no time.

the higher the stall the better on the strip but the worse on the street.

u'll also use more fuel.

pooshda in the states has a 4k stall on stock turbos and he loves it apparently. might b worth talking to him.

thanks eyefi

think i will go with a PRECISION INDUSTRIES TC 3500-3600 rpm stall. the lad off the supra forums says you dont need to send yours to them so should save a lot of messing about. seen the prices of about $700. i will be mainly using supra now for weekends so should be ok on the fuel side. i know its going to get worse the more you tune it.

will look for that lads name and send him a private message. is it sort of like buying an uprated clutch for a manual car. you can hear the clutch rattle and car seems to feel a bit shaky.

so with a 4000rpm stall the car will have to high rev before you start to move.

do you know what a stock Toyota TC stall speed is.

thanks again

ps powerhouse racing do tranny coolers for $150 a couple should be enough and more for safety.

I think you've made the right choice there Mark. A built auto transmission with a high stall convertor is the ideal choice for drag racing, and unless you go really silly with turbos in the future (like a T78 or larger) the level one sounds good. I'm sure the board will be very interested to hear how you get on with it! I gues it's like putting a really butch clutch on a manual car, it is a compromise but you can usually learn to live with it OK.

i think the stock stall is about 2k. so look at how yrs drives now. if u set off steady on a flat surface u'll start to move from 1k revs. set off hard and the revs will jump to 2k as u start to move. its like a slipping clutch, if there's little load it will drive but as the load increases it will slip (going uphill for example), when the revs r below the stall speed. so in summary, yes the car will still move below the stall speed in certain circumstances

im not sure how u'd calculate yr cooling requirements for it. i'd talk to yr manufacturers about that. u dont want to be cooling the oil too much nor do u want to b carrying around the weight of an extra cooling unit and the extra fluid, especially at the front.

if u r going to get a single turbo u also want to consider when that would spool. if u get one that dont give useful boost until 4k and yr stall is 3.5k yr not gonna have a well matched setup and u'll not be leaving the line on boost.

u'll love it on the strip, they're supposed to take up to a second off yr times :)

might also be worth getting yr clutch bands serviced at the same time.

Go with the 3800-4k stall, that way if the power bug gets you, you won't need to change it.

As mentioned, cooler is a must.

Have you got some DRs? I remember you were looking into them, might as well if it's only going to be a weekend/drag car.

Have you chosen a turbo yet? Do a proper job with fueling etc.

What transmission are you going to get? The stock one won't hold a single turbo for long, especially with drag racing.

Guest Terry S

FWIW, I have driven a car with a 4k high stall & it's a frigging nightmare on the road. The 3.2k was fine.

Mark when are you trying to get this finished by??

Originally posted by Terry S

FWIW, I have driven a car with a 4k high stall & it's a frigging nightmare on the road. The 3.2k was fine.

Mark when are you trying to get this finished by??

hi terry

i am in no rush to get it sorted.been reading up on turbo kits and torque converters. going to get a torque converter for now. see how car handles when its back together. cant decide wether to jump in and try a 4000 stall or go with a 3200 or 3600 stall.

had an email off powerhouse racing

Hi Mark, thanks for your inquiry. We ship worldwide, and have many customers in the UK. These items will most likely cost about $90-150 USD to ship to the UK due to weight and dimensions. For international orders, we accept bank wire transfers until you have established an account history. We make several different levels of torque converter, all primarily designed for drag racing. Any of them can handle at least 800 RWHP in a racing atmosphere. I suggest the 3200 RPM Stall speed for your application. Do let me know if you have any questions. Thanks

Jarrett

PHR Sales

also got one from Precision Industries

The Multi-Disc converter (Level 2 as Sound Performance calls it) is the best choice. To keep it streetable you want to stay around 3200 to 3600 rpm stall speed. The reason for the Multi-Disc lockup though is that when you go to the track to race it you can lock it up at wide open throttle. The converter sells for $1,144.50 and we don't need an exchange for it. The ordering can be done through e-mail, although that is not secure. Perhaps Sound Performance can do that online if you purchase it direct for them.

Jack

Precision Industries

800-649-7866

was reading the link that eyefi posted about a guy with a 4000 stall and he loves it. just trying to decide wether to jump in and get a 4000 as its more of a weekend car now or drag racing. think i could live with it. i am also ordering a couple of powerhouse racing tranny coolers to be safe. the torque converter dounds like a lot of fun and hope it gets me out the 13`s

wanted to keep the stock torque converter just in case i dont like.

thanks for the info and replys