The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hks Evc Iv

Wez

Hello Guys,

I have a HKS EVC IV, got it cheap and was wondering what settings are best to use, I have heard that it is not recommended for the supra but have also seen that some people are using it without problems, why is it not recommended.

I saw the below post regarding the settings

--------------------------------------------------------

I have set the stock boost to 0.9 bar as that's all I can seem to get out of it while running the third gear test despite having a de-cat and FCD.

Having found the stock boost I have set the controller as follows, Low boost 0.9, High boost 1.1, Scramble boost 0.10 (1.2bar) which is set to 30 seconds and I have set the warning to 1.3 bar. The only problem I have is setting up the offset mode.

---------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone offer anymore information on this.

Regards

Wez

:baa:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Wez

Hello Guys,

I have a HKS EVC IV, got it cheap and was wondering what settings are best to use, I have heard that it is not recommended for the supra but have also seen that some people are using it without problems, why is it not recommended.

:

Wez,

There are no 'specific' settings that can be applied to any boost controller. Every car will be different.

You could copy someones figures to get you in the 'ballpark' but I certainly wouldn't advise it unless you are going to keep a very close eye on boost levels. Even if the boost does just happen to sit on what you want it to be it doesn't mean your boost curve couldn't be better.

It has to be said that setting up a boost controller on a Mk4 is something of a black art (trading between offsets and peak boost levels) and even I don't fully understand it. Thats why I got the boys downstairs to sort mine out!

The only people who don't reccomend EVC's are people who can't set them up properly.....a word of advice; never use the 'learning' function on Mk4's.

Cheers

Nathan

TDI PLC

Hey Nathan,

Thanks for the info, I got it cheap from a friend who had real problems with it on his MKIV. He sold the unit to me and went for a bleeder T mod instead.

He was experiencing very high boost on one turbo and then a huge drop and then more boost, not very smooth boost curve at all, was a while ago now so can`t remember all the details.

I think that he was trying to use the learning mode, but I did notice in the english instructions that this was not recommended, I haven`t fitted it yet as I am in the process of getting a boost gauge and EGT done.

Kind Regards

Wes

:cool:

• 1 month later...

Doing a search on Supraforums and came up with this info, may help someone:)

Functions:

Setting the volume knob: Whenever you make an adjustment the settings, you may see a flashing L, turn the knob down (counter clockwise), then it will show a flashing H, turn the knob up (clockwise). Turn it back and forth as instructed until it sets itself.

Mode: Allows you to change EVC settings. Hit once for Offset.

2 times for Scramble boost, amount to add to the preset boost (i.e., 0.2bar).

3 times sets the length of time for the "added" scramble boost to last (0-30sec.)

4 times for Overboost Warning Mode. (***This is very important, if it hits higher than the overboost setting, the unit will shut down to stock boost. This will keep you from blowing up your car***) Always set this after you reset the EVC. Put it 0.1 to 0.15 higher than the high boost you are planning on running.

Alt: Switches between high and low boost mode. Lights up Green in Low, Red in High Mode.

Power: Duh!

Scramble Boost: Activates Added boost for the period you set with the mode button.

Resetting the EVC: Hold the top 2 buttons along with the lower right button to reset it. (Mode, ALT, and Scramble)

Tuning for Supra:

Turn the power on and reset the unit.

Turn the knob and set your stock boost.

(if you don't know it, set it at 0.65, hit the scramble button, and then go to redline in third gear. This is your Max stock boost. reset the EVC and then use this number)

Hit the scramble button and then add 0.15 bar to your stock boost (i.e., if your stock boost is 0.9 then enter 1.0) then hit scramble again.

Important: Hit mode 4 times to set your overboost.

Boost will now be set at you stock boost in low mode. Hit ALT to switch to High Boost mode and enter in how much boost you want.

Go do a 3rd gear pull and see if you get the desired boost. If it makes more boost than you want then reset the unit and add 0.5 more to your stock boost (0.2), if you get less, then add 0.5 less (0.1) etc.

If you can only get so close, you will have to use the Offset feature.

Hit the mode button once, and you will see 100. If you are overboosting, turn it up (between 101-150) if you are underboosting turn it down (between 99-50)

TTC Tuning:

Reset the EVC.

Hold down the ALT and Scramble Buttons (the 2 right buttons)

This will put the EVC in Learning Mode and display a L on the screen.

In third gear, accelerate until the EVC beeps and displays an H. (this may or may not be to redline.

Again in 3rd gear, from the same RPM as the first pull, go all the way to redline and let off. The unit should then beep and show your stock boost. Go ahead and set your overboost and then your desired boost level.

If you don't get desired boost (assuming its realistic), or it didn't go from L to H, you need to start from scratch.

If you still don't get the desired boost, you can use the offset button explained above to fine tune things.

If you can't get the unit to go from L to H, then you are either doing something wrong (i.e., not following instructions or are in Sequential mode). or you have some sort of vacuum or boost leak that is making boost inconsistent, keeping the EVC from learning your boost curve.

I take no responsibility for your actions, but as long as you set your overboost correctly you shouldn't be able to blow up anything. For the record all test pulls should be done on a closed racetrack.

• 9 years later...
Doing a search on Supraforums and came up with this info, may help someone:)

Functions:

Setting the volume knob: Whenever you make an adjustment the settings, you may see a flashing L, turn the knob down (counter clockwise), then it will show a flashing H, turn the knob up (clockwise). Turn it back and forth as instructed until it sets itself.

Mode: Allows you to change EVC settings. Hit once for Offset.

2 times for Scramble boost, amount to add to the preset boost (i.e., 0.2bar).

3 times sets the length of time for the "added" scramble boost to last (0-30sec.)

4 times for Overboost Warning Mode. (***This is very important, if it hits higher than the overboost setting, the unit will shut down to stock boost. This will keep you from blowing up your car***) Always set this after you reset the EVC. Put it 0.1 to 0.15 higher than the high boost you are planning on running.

Alt: Switches between high and low boost mode. Lights up Green in Low, Red in High Mode.

Power: Duh!

Scramble Boost: Activates Added boost for the period you set with the mode button.

Resetting the EVC: Hold the top 2 buttons along with the lower right button to reset it. (Mode, ALT, and Scramble)

Tuning for Supra:

Turn the power on and reset the unit.

Turn the knob and set your stock boost.

(if you don't know it, set it at 0.65, hit the scramble button, and then go to redline in third gear. This is your Max stock boost. reset the EVC and then use this number)

Hit the scramble button and then add 0.15 bar to your stock boost (i.e., if your stock boost is 0.9 then enter 1.0) then hit scramble again.

Important: Hit mode 4 times to set your overboost.

Boost will now be set at you stock boost in low mode. Hit ALT to switch to High Boost mode and enter in how much boost you want.

Go do a 3rd gear pull and see if you get the desired boost. If it makes more boost than you want then reset the unit and add 0.5 more to your stock boost (0.2), if you get less, then add 0.5 less (0.1) etc.

If you can only get so close, you will have to use the Offset feature.

Hit the mode button once, and you will see 100. If you are overboosting, turn it up (between 101-150) if you are underboosting turn it down (between 99-50)

TTC Tuning:

Reset the EVC.

Hold down the ALT and Scramble Buttons (the 2 right buttons)

This will put the EVC in Learning Mode and display a L on the screen.

In third gear, accelerate until the EVC beeps and displays an H. (this may or may not be to redline.

Again in 3rd gear, from the same RPM as the first pull, go all the way to redline and let off. The unit should then beep and show your stock boost. Go ahead and set your overboost and then your desired boost level.

If you don't get desired boost (assuming its realistic), or it didn't go from L to H, you need to start from scratch.

If you still don't get the desired boost, you can use the offset button explained above to fine tune things.

If you can't get the unit to go from L to H, then you are either doing something wrong (i.e., not following instructions or are in Sequential mode). or you have some sort of vacuum or boost leak that is making boost inconsistent, keeping the EVC from learning your boost curve.

I take no responsibility for your actions, but as long as you set your overboost correctly you shouldn't be able to blow up anything. For the record all test pulls should be done on a closed racetrack.

Will this setup work on a mkiv supra tt with evc 5?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Guest supra&starlet

do you have pictures of where you hooked up the HKS EVC IV under the hood?? I have been trying to get mine to work forever but i just do not understand where i get my hoses to hook up. My HKS EVC IV has settings on it already it just doesnt control my boost at all, its hooked up wrong under the hood