SUPRALOOPY

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
did this today. didnt seem to make any difference to the way it starts :( still have to crank it a few times before it fires. battery's only 3 months old aswell :blink: anyone one know what the prob could be??

Took me over 5 hours to get mine refurbed/fitted and then still didnt start! turned up to be some problems with the ignition itself, so check your ignition mate before anything.

Took me over 5 hours to get mine refurbed/fitted and then still didnt start! turned up to be some problems with the ignition itself, so check your ignition mate before anything.

any idea what sort of problems i should be looking out for with the ignition?? what was wrong with yours if you dont mind me asking? I checked for error codes but nothing came up.

thanks ;)

any idea what sort of problems i should be looking out for with the ignition?? what was wrong with yours if you dont mind me asking? I checked for error codes but nothing came up.

thanks ;)

Mine end up being a bad connection, so Mark had to check every single wire and found one with no power!

Not sure in your case though as you say it starts up but not the way it should, but again might be worth getting the ignition wires tested.

Good luck bud ;)

Mine end up being a bad connection, so Mark had to check every single wire and found one with no power!

Not sure in your case though as you say it starts up but not the way it should, but again might be worth getting the ignition wires tested.

Good luck bud ;)

Glad you got it sorted mas:)

Good luck bud ;)

thanks for getting back to me ;) looks like one of these days i'll have to check all the ignition wires :(

• 1 month later...
Guest beavis

Just wanna say that the info on how to get off the starter motor was spot on - made the job a lot easier knowing what I was facing.

Keep up the good work

• 8 months later...

I have the click of death on Supra B - started off intermittent a couple of weeks ago but now it's not starting at all.

Got the starter motor off tonight and will order the refurb kit tomorrow. I noticed that carl0s removed the starter completely from the solenoid - is this necessary?

• 3 weeks later...

I also had an intermittent click.Eventually I couldn't start the car at all.I've had the refurb kit for months just never got round to do it:rolleyes: Finally got the starter off yesterday,what an awkward job:( Refurbed and fitted it this morning and my Supra starts first time everytime.Thanx again everyone for all the technical stuff in this post.It certainly made things a lot easier:d

• 3 months later...

after a few clicky clicky moments recently i got this done today and would just like to thank all that contributed to this thread, if you are tackling this job you need about 750mm worth of 3/8" drive extension bars and a few wobble ones thrown in, you would be very hard pushed to fit 1/2" drive stuff in its that tight, at the base of all the 3/8" bars i used a 1/2" conversion piece so you can get the extra leverage with a 1/2" drive ratchet, as stated in this thread the 14mm head bolt at the top is a swine, take your time with it, if you round this off you will be in a world of hurt :blink:, for anyone pulling an engine or taking all the intake side off i would make this an essential job to do it would take about 20 minutes as opposed to half a day

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just want to check, is this the solution for the intermitent problem where I get "thwangggg" sound when I turn the key on (and the engine doesn't crank)? Is that what the 'click' sounds like?

I got that problem intermitently (actually, more often than not). And today it went to a whole different level when the starter actually got STUCK ON THE ON POSITION and keep whirring despite the engine starting. A quick jab at it with a rod stopped it. Dunno when it would happen again though. I'm scared now.

Just want to check, is this the solution for the intermitent problem where I get "thwangggg" sound when I turn the key on (and the engine doesn't crank)? Is that what the 'click' sounds like?

it will literally be a click and nothing... imagine the sound you get when the battery is flat and doesnt have enough power to crank the engine.

• 2 months later...

yeh mine was starting to click about 5 times before it finally went, sometimes it would try to start then stop on its own, ordered the stuff from mr t and installed them, very easy to do cant really go wrong at all, just follow the step by step pics and your easy on.

Gave it a good clean inside and out and have put it on a heater for it to dry, will try it off the car to make sure all is well then refit, again very easy, simple job but a nightmare problem when it happens, stuck in the middle of no where and its just clicking away lol. Cheers again for the boys who took time out to take pics and step by step info.

• 1 month later...
so if my car when hot is getting a little lazy to start would this be a sign of my starter needed some tlc, also the other morning i got in the car and it refused to fire until maybe 4th 5th attempt.

Yep, sounds like what happened to mine. Very intermittent at first but becomes more and more regular over time and could take a few attempts to get going. The refurb sorted it out and no problems since.

Guest Juzzo

I got that problem intermitently (actually, more often than not). And today it went to a whole different level when the starter actually got STUCK ON THE ON POSITION and keep whirring despite the engine starting. A quick jab at it with a rod stopped it. Dunno when it would happen again though. I'm scared now.

Same problem here! But jabbing the solenoid didn't help! Does anyone have any good advices what to do... eg. pull the starter assy of and refurb the solenoid contact or whatnot?