• 1 month later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest swanzsupra

Ordered mine from toyota £19.23 . Only took 2 days to arrive. Job done no more clickety click ! Great guide and obviously the part no's made life so easy .

• 2 months later...

Just to update this if anyone finds it useful. I had the single click of death in the video below.

UCU1WKebfQE

I followed SupraLoopys guide and it sorted the problem as well. Both parts of the kit together cost me £19.47. I am crap at this stuff, so if I can do it anyone can. although I think you should add hard liqor and hard hats to the tools needed, possibly with a packet of haribo starmix or tangfastics also for seeing a bitch of a job through.

Cheers

Dave

• 5 months later...
Followed this at the weekend, great guide. No more clicky click! Thanks Supraloopy!

Glad we could help with a technical document. Having been here since 2007 is it perhaps time to join up as a full member and help repay the club for the technical info you have from the forum?

• 3 weeks later...

Another happy customer here :) Thanks for the guide, it was very helpful, even for the likes of me whose socket set is nearly as clean as when I bought it :D

Also, big shout out to Jive for lending me some flat tarmac to jack the car up on, and for lending me a few hours of his time off work to help out. Beers are on me next time I see you dude! Well, maybe the first couple...

Also, big shout out to Jive for lending me some flat tarmac to jack the car up on, and for lending me a few hours of his time off work to help out. Beers are on me next time I see you dude! Well, maybe the first couple...

Glad to have helped out mate and just glad that between the two of us we could fix it :)

Don't forget to post the pic of that bit that fell off when we took the starter motor off up on here to see if it's important!

• 5 months later...

Just received my starter refurb kit in the post. I just have a few questions.

Does I need to be under the car at any stage to get the starter off? I'm not too familiar with the layout of this area. Dave also recommends a 3/8" long ratchet bar, does it have to be 3/8" for access or is 1/2" ok?

Cheers

Dan

I would say 1/2" is what is required, with a couple of long extension bars and at least one wobbler joint in the middle if your extensions are not wobblers, and a wobber joint on the end, and yes, the whole lot will be done under the car with you reaching over the gearbox from the rear. Your long extension bars will be going along the top of the gearbox towards where the starter is.

Cheers gents! Doing this tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on. Might take some more pics as some one this thread aren't available anymore.

Well that's a coincidence.. maybe a little late, but I went hunting for a hard drive in an old PC, and found a backup of the websites that I lost a while ago, so all the big pictures, including the pictures of the long multi-extension wobblers, are back in post #11 near the start of this thread.

We're moving office and changing IP addresses on Friday though so they'll probably drop off again for a little bit.

• 9 months later...
Guest KRYP10NYT

Hi.

I am new to this.

My starter does not drag. It simply makes a single click and after a few tries it starts. Sounds like the contacts or a stuck solenoid ????

The starter removal guide is brilliant but i am going to ask a really stupid question.

You say to not reomove the bolts.. How do u take out the starter without removing the bolts???? What bolts exactly am i not suppose to totally remove ???

Thanks

How to overhaul starter motor contacts

PDF Version - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=105239&stc=1&d=1265988279

Ok this is my how to overhaul your starter contacts:

1. jack up the car and support safely on axle stands.

2. diconnect the earth terminal of the battery (make sure you know your radio code)

3. to the nearside of the car at the back of the engine you will find your starter motor(just before the gearbox)

4. there will be an electrical connector and a thick cable going to a 14mm nut on the starter, Remove both.

5. you will see one of the bolts that hold the starter in, the other is a bit more tricky, it is located just above and to the right and has a bracket attached(you will see this with a torch or leadlight)

6. using a long exstention bar about 12-18 inches long and a 3/8 drive rachet take a 14mm wobbly end socket or use a normal socket and a universal joint adapter and going in from just above the gearbox you should get on the bolt quite easy. try to undo the bolts while pulling the starter backwards so as not to take the bolts out of the bellhousing.

7. you will now have the starter out and ready for overhauling. ther are three 7mm nuts on the starter undo these carefuly as there is a sprung loaded throw in switch in there that you have to take out(this just slides out).

8. now you will see the contacts, on the outside of the starter there will be a wire connecting the starter to the solenoid, remove the nut and move the wire out of the way. now you are ready to take one side apart, undo the nut that holds the contact in place and study how it comes apart!!! replace the old parts with the new, do one side at a time so you don't get the parts mixed up.

9. remember the bit that slides out, clean the edge of this as this is your main contact as it throws in.(see piccy)

10. put it all back together and bolt it back to the car, reconnect the battery and and you should not get the click click again:yes:

hope this helps and if you have any questions just pm me..

Guest Budz86

Difficult to explain but once you get under there it will become obvious. The bolt holding it in place is from the back, not the front as on most things. You can undo it and leave the bolt in place and almost slide the starter off (with a bit of a jiggle!).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great write up. Done this today and was so easy to do and I'm like a cow with a banjo when it comes to working on the car. Kit cost about £20 all in (all bits included) and took about 1-2 hours to sort from start to finish. Thank you very much to OP.