The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How To: Valve Stem Seal Replacement

TLicense

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL well because I was taking my time, and as you can tell, taking lots of shots with the camera (There's quite a few that didn't make it into this thread!) it took me close to 20 hours to do the job. I should think if I were to do the job again it would probably take me about 10-15 hours. So I can see how pofessional mechanics who are charging £50-60/hour can charge £600 for the job, then there's the price of the parts on-top.

Personally I wouldn't charge anyone beyond £300 plus parts, at the end of the day it's just spannering and being methodical about how you work.

I've just asked my usual garage for a quote for this so we'll see, but I vaguely remember Dude charging £400 for it (that could be wrong though).

To be honest the whole point of posting this was that you could do it yourselves! It's not a difficult job, and if you follow the steps as I've written them down it would be pretty hard to go wrong to be honest!

Just get the correct tools for the job and then take your time and be methodical.

Oh as for my facilities. I did the whole job with the car on my parents driveway. OK I do have a reasonably decent set of tools, but I didn't really use anything ,other than the special tools I mentioned at the start, that a hundred quid at halfrauds wouldn't get you. From what I remember I used:-

10mm spanner

14mm spanner

17mm ring spanner

Mole grips

Adjustable spanner

1/4 inch ractchet driver

10mm deep socket (1/4inch drive)

12mm deep socket (1/4 inch drive)

1/2 inch ratchet driver

22mm socket (1/2 inch drive)

16mm spark plug socket (1/4 inch drive)

6 inch extension (1/4 inch drive)

2 inch extension (1/4 inch drive)

Stanley knife blade (to clean the old sealant off the head)

Torque wrench (1/4 inch drive - 20Nm to 100Nm IIRC)

Axle stands

2 tonne trolley jack

Medium sized plastric mallet

9 inch long screwdriver

Scribe for getting the rubber remains from the valve stems

Medium sized pliers.

Can't think of much of anything else, but generally just things that the average home mechanic has. Nothing special!

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...
Before you start the parts you need to order are:-

Valve stem seal (Inlet) 90913-02088 12 off at £3.53 each

Valve stem seal (Exhaust) 90913-02123 12 off at £4.93 each

So now you'll be ready to fit the new seal. Make sure you fit the correct one. They are different inlet to exhaust. The inlet ones have a bronze finish to the outside of the seal, whereas the exhaust one has a silver/grey finish.

Is this right?

I've got twelve of 90913-02088 "Seal, Valve Stem Oil" and twelve 90913-02123 "Seal, Valve Stem Oil"

but the colours are the other way around. 02088 is grey and 02123 is bronze.

Which are the intake seals and which are the exhaust ones?

Is this right?

I've got twelve of 90913-02088 "Seal, Valve Stem Oil" and twelve 90913-02123 "Seal, Valve Stem Oil"

but the colours are the other way around. 02088 is grey and 02123 is bronze.

Which are the intake seals and which are the exhaust ones?

Can you not check on the EPC Jake? If no one replies I'll have a look when I get home if you can't.

Yup my mistake,

02088 is the exhaust seal and should be grey

02123 is the inlet seal and should be bronze.

Thanks Tony.

Can you not check on the EPC Jake? If no one replies I'll have a look when I get home if you can't.
Sorted now Ben - cheers anyway.

Huh? They should be different colours mate.

A bronzey type colour and silver.

The EPC lists just 1 part number for both inlet and exhaust, but it's a different number to the above. (90913-02090) with a qty of 24, so I guess if you get those then they'll fit either :shrug:

Jake, are the holes in the stem seals slightly different sizes? Only I got mine from ebay and can't tell which is which until I open up the head!

there was a thread on supraforums about the ebay seals. apparently they are all the same size but someone did use them with success. i'd only buy these from mr T to be honest

• 2 months later...

Just working on this at the mo, bought some Ferrea valve seals from Dusty. Just taken out the spark plug on no. 6 (think that's the right number - one at the far end anyway! :blush: ) and it' sliterally dripping with oil :( Also noticed all th eends of the plugs are white - is that okay?

And why hasn't this been made a sticky / faq thingy?

I'd just like to add a bit of advice for anyone attempting this:

DON'T buy a cheap tool such as THIS. It will only screw things up and end up bending, having spent 3 hours trying desperately to replace the first set of keepers, only to see one of them ping away into the front garden never to be seen again (resulting in 48 hours of sulking).

DO buy the proper tool from HERE (

• 1 year later...