The mkiv Supra Owners Club

S/Plugs

Supra Pilot

Anyone had the pleasure of changing S/Plugs on an N/A mkIV?

Or know exactly whats done?

Don't laugh and say it's only plugs, it's a piss..... the N/A's are made up differently to the TT with regard to a simple plug cx.

It requires removing the whole of the throttle body plus other bits.....

I have not done this myself, but would like too soon just for a check.

I would like to know where exactly to remove(sections) on the (throttle body---intake manifold) and if it will require new gaskets(o-rings) on re-fittment etc etc.....

Anyone?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Supra Pilot

Anyone had the pleasure of changing S/Plugs on an N/A mkIV?

Or know exactly whats done?

Don't laugh and say it's only plugs, it's a piss..... the N/A's are made up differently to the TT with regard to a simple plug cx.

It requires removing the whole of the throttle body plus other bits.....

I have not done this myself, but would like too soon just for a check.

I would like to know where exactly to remove(sections) on the (throttle body---intake manifold) and if it will require new gaskets(o-rings) on re-fittment etc etc.....

Anyone?

eh??

Please could someone post pictures I can't see how this can be!!

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

eh??

Please could someone post pictures I can't see how this can be!!

eh hem Alex? What were you saying m8......:moo:

Matt you're the man:thumbs:

I can figure out what to remove(it's alot) to get to the plugs, but there are 3 sections to the throttle body and intake manifold to seperate, which carries gaskets joining them.....

Thats my worry!

I don't want to seperate anything with gaskets etc. in case the gaskets tear or as the usual they are bonded and will need to get feked to remove, in which case I will need to get gaskets, then how available are they, when available, blah blah, blah......

could be unnecessary downtime with the machine, all for the sake of my curiosity and idleness!

So what I was mainly after was someone thatsactually done it or seen it etc first hand....... or even just removing the intake and throttle set up section?

Thanks again Matt;)

Dom

Question; How long do N/A plugs last? (approx)Mine were done in a service about a year ago, less than 10k ago.This was done by Toyota before i brought my car,plugs cost around £12 each!!! as i have the receipt.At what sort of mileage or time span would i expect them to be changed,as i'm not looking forward to getting them changed. Al.

P.S. sorry for jumping in on your post.Al.

£12 a pop? Sounds like they might be platinum, in which case they're probably good for 50,000 miles. Certainly advisable to go with platinum plugs on the NA, with the hassle of changing them. I think Toyota don't include a plug change in every NA service, so logically they would have fitted platinum (unless they didn't know what they were doing - always a possibility). Better check though - I think maybe you can get to a couple of the plugs to check without all that disassembly hassle?

Al, there is NO life span really on most plugs..

I have seen plugs used on cars from 100miles to 100000 miles of use and can still go on.

Good design, plugs are.

Obviously their charatristics and value will change(degrade) over time and useage, so for better performance(consistant) and function, plugs should be cleaned etc or replaced as necessary.

Plugs deterioration is basically down to the state and condition of your engine.. if your engine is burning oil or fuel mixtures not correct, incorrect timing and a few others, these will determine your plug life........

Dom

Originally posted by Supra Pilot

Here's a shot of the engine bay so the TT guys can get an idea.

Good God!!

I can't remember that in Gareth's old NA but I guess it must have been like that...

Why on earth did toyota put the intake over the engine...where it will get really hot before entering the engine...

I could think of a better way to package it...but hey, it works

Respect to those who change the s/plugs regularly on an N/A!!

Guest Martin F
Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

Why on earth did toyota put the intake over the engine...where it will get really hot before entering the engine...

Same as they did with the MKIII Turbo.

Just out of curiosity, can I assume that changing plugs on a TT is easy.

Just that my Dad has been speaking to a guy down the pub who has a Supra and he was told that he was trying to change the plugs on it and could not work out how to get at or change the last two.

I assumed it was a NA so told my dad to give him the link to the pages earlier in this thread but apparenly it is a UK spec car.

I have never changed my plugs myself or indeed watched anyone else do it but not heard of anyone having difficulties.

Anyone know what he may be on about.

Guest Martin F

Doesn't matter if it's a UK spec or Jap spec, changing the plugs is the same on a TT.

There are two plugs which are a bit of a PITA, No's 3 and 5 if i remember rightly. To get at these you need to remove the two vent hoses between the cam covers, which have a tendency to break or split. Best to order these up first, and somebody should be along very soon with the correct part numbers.

:D