The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket inlet/intake manifold

Crash Bandicoot

Hi all, I’m taking my engine out as part of a freshen up over winter, while it’s out, I’ve decided to go for an aftermarket inlet manifold, I’m not looking at one of the “bolt on” eBay jobbies for £200... through eBay, there is a few from Australia “wildcat industries” for around £600 and the “np boosted” ones form canada.... that’s more my budget region.

Can’t really justify a plasmaman one for £1200+

I’m Currently running

GTE hks t04z full single turbo kit

Has anyone got any feedback on what one to go for?

The cheap £200 manifold have an acceptable plenum design/finish given they are copies of greddy and cost peanuts. Biggest problem with them is the awful throttle bodies they are supplied with. Massive issues with reliability, leaking air, TPS irratic readings, sticky throttles etc. Avoid like the plague and use a Q45 throttle body or similar instead.

The NP boosted manifolds for ~£500 are actually pretty good. I had my doubts at first but have installed and tuned a few, and the throttle feels like stock & so far no issues with reliability or daily driving with them. Only 'issue' is that if you use the stock IACV and install it on the port they build into the plenum, then you will find clearance between IACV & the oil filter housing/cooler very tight. This can make getting your hands down there a nightmare. Otherwise, for the money there is no better "bang for buck" inlet manifold. After this prices skyrocket and you are paying for brand names Hypertune, Sleeper Design etc.

I have no data to suggest which inlet flows the best, or the most evenly between cylinders. But most should be fine if you arent tuning your car to the limit.

Whilst on the subject, this is an interesting video to watch regarding inlet plenum performance. Sometimes bigger dosen't mean better. But it looks cool so spend away.

Mike, hats off to you, this is the exact feedback I was looking for. Good comparison video too. As I’m not on a built motor “yet” I won’t be revving too high, so basically I’m expecting to loose some low end torque in place of a better looking engine bay. I can live with that. I’m leaning towards the np boosted (although I’d most likely paint it to suit the aesthetics of the rest of my engine bay. Thanks again :thumbs:

Just as an extra brand that's a bit closer to home to consider, SSI in Ireland do an intake that looks quite nice whilst also being well priced. I think it's a little more expensive than £5-600 but comes with a fuel rail and can be bought through a UK vendor. So you'll save on any import taxes and clearance fees :)

Just as an extra brand that's a bit closer to home to consider, SSI in Ireland do an intake that looks quite nice whilst also being well priced. I think it's a little more expensive than £5-600 but comes with a fuel rail and can be bought through a UK vendor. So you'll save on any import taxes and clearance fees :)

One of the guys on here had his car in with Greg in protuner , Greg was impressed with it ; no leaking from the throttle body butterfly , is common with the cheaper units

offhand, if I’m moving bits around in the bay, will I need the longer throttle cable option (found on future motorsports site for the ssi intake) or can I reroute the oem cable to fit ok?

You do need a longer cable , Celica St205 cable (781802D390) or what Bijal has , PHR do a cable too

I cannot find the thread on here but it was a white Supra ; remember his first dyno session with greg, his front main seal went on the oil pump

You do need a longer cable , Celica St205 cable (781802D390) or what Bijal has , PHR do a cable too

I cannot find the thread on here but it was a white Supra ; remember his first dyno session with greg, his front main seal went on the oil pump

Shawn's?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?318991-Shawn-s-UK-3-4-V160-Single-Ridox-Widearch-with-Red-Leather-Interior-Project-)/page41

Crazy money for a throttle cable but does make the job easy. There's always the option of having a bash yourself

Shawn's?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?318991-Shawn-s-UK-3-4-V160-Single-Ridox-Widearch-with-Red-Leather-Interior-Project-)/page41

Crazy money for a throttle cable but does make the job easy. There's always the option of having a bash yourself

Nope , wasnt that car; nearly sure it was a 6266 or 6466

Celica cable I got from Toyota was 180 euro

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)