The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New noise

mc92

Yes it's another one of those mystery noise threads. I'm getting a chirping kind of noise I think from the rear end at the top end of the rev range under hard acceleration. Sounds a bit like a turkey. I have made a video, the noise is available just after 0:13ish. I had a peep under the rear end and the only physical deformity I could see is that the rear anti-roll bar bushings are a bit tired. I'm taking it to the garage next week but any other thoughts are welcomed. Thanks for any help.

If it is the same ignition breakdown cause that Ben had leading to unburnt fuel entering into the exhaust it's unlikely to be coil packs as you have your car down as a NA5. It could still be over fuelling from poor ignition, lead or plug failure. So if it is something that only occurs when the car is running at normal temperature (including in the exhaust) it'd be a good idea start looking into you distributor, leads and plugs.

I can't hear anything? Is it the clanking?

Clanking is my keyring lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I shall pull the plugs at the weekend if the weather's nice. I washed my engine bay a few weeks ago so maybe that has something to do with it.

Clanking is my keyring lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I shall pull the plugs at the weekend if the weather's nice. I washed my engine bay a few weeks ago so maybe that has something to do with it.

Could be that if you didn't particularly protect the valley area.....there is no drainage for any fluids that find their way down there.

I find from experience that cleaning an engine can be done without power jetting water, it can, and will get into places you do not want it. Diesel engines are not a problem but petrol engines with all the potential for problems should not be subjected to water, why do you think cars have the plastic undercovers under the engine? Herbie.

• 2 months later...

Small update:

I changed the plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor with no effect. The old plugs looked fine, the rotor was a bit worn. Small amount of oil in the plug wells but nothing else.

Also tried a different ECU with no effect.

Got it booked into a garage next week and hoping they're not as clueless about non-OBD2 cars as most places seem to be these days. If they can't find anything I'll try a new igniter since I think that's the only part of the spark system I haven't replaced yet... After that I'm not sure where to look, sensors maybe? It's not gotten any worse at least :D