The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible to remove autobox on axle stands?

auzzam

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions on how straightforward & safe it is to remove and change the autobox using a jack with axle stands.

Has anyone on here done it? What clearance would the car need off the ground - I can see the jacks and axel stands vary from 300mm, 600mm and some even higher!

Just wanted to know which ones I should invest in.

Thanks

I took the full engine out on axle stands. The problem with just doing the auto box would be the weight and lifting it back up / aligning it. You would need the clearance height of the box plus maybe another 100-200mm for wiggle room. So the car would need a decent height. Probably near truck axle stand size

I've got some axle stands from SGS, model jsr6 they go very high and are very heavy duty. Was going to use them for the same purpose but never got around to it but I measured that they'd work for the W58 at least.

Don't get a cheap gearbox jack like the Draper/sealey ones, they're bloody useless.

If you are able to remove & refit the transmission yourself, you will be quite capable of doing the easy job of removing & fitting a new seal.

Yes the job is doable with the car on axle stands and use of a small trolley jack to lift the box out and in.

Top Tip: Engage your brain and read Mr T's. instructions on how to do it.

Workshop Manual How-To pages here. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=131&do=discuss

Whilst your here David

I’m doing a full fluid change on my tiptronic

Can you recommend a good oil please

Thanks in advance

I like to use the Toyota ATF Type IV and add a bottle of Lucas SS.

However, first please learn how to use this additive correctly, how to here.... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=216&do=discuss

Easiest way to full-flush here...... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=188&do=discuss

Top Tip: As you can see from the above extracts, everything that you may ever need to know about Supra Auto & Tiptoe boxes is on display for all to see in the Transmission Group, which saves me having to repeat myself like a F parrot.

Please note that these links don't work using Crapatalk.

• 2 weeks later...
auzzam,

You are a fine example of the ignorance, selfishness & laziness that is/has degrading/degraded the forum.

When folks can't even be arsed to say thank you, please tell us why should others even bother to answer your questions?

Er David the op's two posts after his thread starter both start 'thanks' !? So maybe he hasn't said anything to you personally? But I can't see he deserves this sort of response at all?

• 3 weeks later...
I like to use the Toyota ATF Type IV and add a bottle of Lucas SS.

Take two bottles into the garage? I just want to flush and go! :D

Anyway David, I asked my local shop how much ATF I needed and the spec's he pulled up said only 1.5 litres so I bought 5 just to be sure. Now you're saying I need 8 for a TT.

A partial flush on T.T. box is 2 litres and a full-flush is 8 litres.

Thanks for clearing that up, if you'll pardon the pun. Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good product for absorbing Mobil 1 from my concrete garage floor? A bottle got punctured and leaked all over the place. I was going to use copious quantities of washing up liquid, water and a scrubbing brush which will work as a final degrease but there are powders and cloths for it as well. Any suggestions? I'd rather not pour petrol on it and burn it out but it's tempting....