The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good news the new supra is a badged fake.

herbiemercman

Some of you dudes may already be aware from the "5th Gear" shakedown of the new Supra, it was a shock for me as the aesthetics were poor, as well as the bland interior, and most of all only 330BHP, it got a very bad rating by the four presenters and they said it is just a badged BMW, the engine and many of the interior parts etc., and comes in at £55K.

This in my opinion is good news for current MK4 owners in that this makes "real" previous Supras shine more.

What do you lot think? Herbie.

This is so boring now IMO, we all know it’s mainly a BMW. So what, get over it. Being it’s mainly a BMW doesn’t make it a bad car at all.

This!

A lot of people have bashed it without actually taking time to have a look at one or even take it out a test drive! I know countless owners that have changed their minds about the car after testing it. I’m currently in the waiting list myself for a test drive, the difference is I don’t mind the car and it’s actually growing on me

i own one, and yes, everything is BMW. but so what - we all wanted a new supra and this was the only way we could get one.

Yes, its not really a 'true' supra but its 0-60 in about 3.9 secs with pretty much every comfort and performance option youd want / can use and it performs incredibly.

If it was actually an out and out new BMW model everyone would be raving about how its better than the M2 Comp etc. Everybody is so negative nowadays. Just enjoy it for what it is

I agree with "5th Gear", this is a badged car, i think most people wanted a complete Toyota supercar to maintain the breeds reputation, i accept that BMW make good cars, and this is a good car, BUT it is not a true Toyota Supra in many peoples opinion.

My Son In Law has a BMW X5 and it was a great machine for me, but that is a "different ball game".

Yes i was late in finding out about the new Supra / BMW, and was so disappointed. Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

In this day in age with the war on petrol cars raging we are lucky to get another sports car to choose from.

Should it be called a Supra... IMO no, if they called it something else there would have been no issues at all, just like the Subaru and Toyota GT86/BRZ venture.

The reason for all they negativity is that Toyota had always built and designed their own cars of which in the 90's there was plenty to choose from, the MR2, Celica GT4 & Supra all of which covered the "sports car" market with some great innovations too. You had mid-engined two seater (MR2), an all wheel drive "rally" car (GT4) and a Sports cruiser (Supra). With the new supra no matter what Toyota Say they separated themselves from the design and bought a chassis and drivetrain from BMW and stuck different body panels on it, which to the Toyota purest is Jarring, especially for people who have owned the MKIV, this was Toyota's last true "pure breed" sports car and therefore previous owners expect nothing less from the next iteration of the car.

Like I said if they called it something else there would be no backlash... is the new "Supra" a good car?... well of course it is... its modern very capable sports car, but I think Toyota made the mistake of calling it the Supra.

In any case because of the backlash its only put the value of the MKIV up, so as MKIV owners we should be grateful that the new car is, lets say controversial.

Hi ManwithSupra, Very good post, you have put the situation quite well, and fits in with my thoughts on the subject, especially the bit about the "real" Toyota MK4 Supras we have becoming more sought after.

I must look at reviewing my "Agreed Value" with Adrian Flux. Herbie.

BON.&BUMP. LOUVERS.2019.jpg (630.8 KB)

BON.&BUMP. LOUVERS.2019.jpg