The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension upgrade

Darren

So I know there’s a few old posts on suspension options (and I’ve searched a lot!) but I’m still interested in feedback on current options? And obviously some of you have been running the upgrades long term now so opinions may have changed?

I have a 98 TT bpu that I’ve owned for 17/18 years (it slept for 10 or so but is now road legal). Currently it has stock suspension that seems soft and wallows. I’m only doing about 1000 miles a year but would like to renew the suspension.

Options in my price range:

Tein basis £356 (do current model Tein still have a bad rep?)

Tein street advance £410

HSD dualtech £645

BC BR £692

Bilstein German (can I run with stock springs?) £600 ish plus springs if required?

Koni with stock springs?

Any info appreciated

Just go for some nicely priced KYB oem subsitutes. If you get coilovers and dont drive much and they start to leak youll probably be out of warranty haven driving very little on them. The only coil overs i would consider based on price and good reviews would be BC. Teins through the years have been notorious for leaks.

I vouch for what frank says, brilliant set up.. unrivalled unless you want to spend big money in my eyes.

Also check what bignum is running, I'm sure it was something similar (he is the fastest round the nurburgring in a supra)

Not anymore mate I think Simon aka Bignum is now running the VERY expensive Nitrons.

I’m also in the same boat on what to do

I have the factory bilsteins (came on car from japan). I’ve recently bought the eibach pro springs and think that’s 25-30mm might be too low and I don’t want to mess with the handling / geo.

It does need a bit better handling but I don’t want to put them on if it’s going to make it worse. Not fussed on the height. Also don’t want to ruin / break the shocks if they’re old and won’t take the extra “lowness” (still an ameteur on lowering etc)

I run BCs, just installed stanceparts air cups on them to give me the lift when I need it but other than that I run the car pretty low.

Have yet to test the car on the air cups as car is currently off the road, but never had a problem with my BCs for the 6 months I was using them. Significantly better than the worn out factory bilsteins I had on previously.

I run BCs, just installed stanceparts air cups on them to give me the lift when I need it but other than that I run the car pretty low.

Have yet to test the car on the air cups as car is currently off the road, but never had a problem with my BCs for the 6 months I was using them. Significantly better than the worn out factory bilsteins I had on previously.

Forgive me for perhaps a silly question, but are you guys running the BC Racing BR series coilovers, the ones with the type RS rubber top mounts like in the link below?

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/bc-racing-3131.html

Can you still buy new Eibach springs for the mkiv ? loved them on my car but they are pretty firm when combined

with stiffer roll bars and 19" wheels

Fine if your cars not a daily

Looks like Whifbitz sell them :)

God knows how harsh other set ups are when compared the Eibachs looking at the spring rates table

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267488-Coilover-Spring-Rate-Register&highlight=spring+rate

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Forgive me for perhaps a silly question, but are you guys running the BC Racing BR series coilovers, the ones with the type RS rubber top mounts like in the link below?

Should probably have mentioned, sorry - I believe I’m on the BR RAs which have the pillowball top mounts. Friend got me them direct from BC for £750

Edited by Nathanj1142 (see edit history)

Should probably have mentioned, sorry - I believe I’m on the BR RAs which have the pillowball top mounts. Friend got me them direct from BC for £750

/QUOTE]

No problem at all I was just curious, so it's almost a solid top mount (rose joint) and it's still better than the old Bilsteins on the car? This is exactly what I need! I may go rubber top mounts though just for a little more comfort.

No problem at all I was just curious, so it's almost a solid top mount (rose joint) and it's still better than the old Bilsteins on the car? This is exactly what I need! I may go rubber top mounts though just for a little more comfort.

I mean I don’t drive the car as a daily so that may be why but I found the pillowballs really comfortable still. I also had the dampers up in the ‘hard’ range. Everything else on my suspension is stock - arms, bushes etc..

I mean I don’t drive the car as a daily so that may be why but I found the pillowballs really comfortable still. I also had the dampers up in the ‘hard’ range. Everything else on my suspension is stock - arms, bushes etc..

/QUOTE]

Awesome mate thanks for letting me know, most likely go down one of those two routes next year, should make the ride much nicer.

Mine is booked in at Whifbitz tomorrow for full BPU and BC Racing coilovers the RA with top pillowball mounts. I'll let you know how it feels Simon when i get the car back.

Had Tein Flex Z on other Supra SZ which i didn't rate at all, far too bouncy on a softer setting, far too hard as you get to mid range or harder settings. Made the ride very uncomfortable on long journeys.

Mine is booked in at Whifbitz tomorrow for full BPU and BC Racing coilovers the RA with top pillowball mounts. I'll let you know how it feels Simon when i get the car back.

Had Tein Flex Z on other Supra SZ which i didn't rate at all, far too bouncy on a softer setting, far too hard as you get to mid range or harder settings. Made the ride very uncomfortable on long journeys.

Thanks Paul, we chatted on facebook last week about your wheel offsets on the rotas, will you still be okay to grab them when it gets done? Be keen to hear your thoughts on the BC’s too!

Thanks Paul, we chatted on facebook last week about your wheel offsets on the rotas, will you still be okay to grab them when it gets done? Be keen to hear your thoughts on the BC’s too!

Yes of course mate. I'll ask them to jot the offsets down on the Bola B1's. Can you message me on FB about 11am to remind me on to ask them as that's when i hope to arrive their?

I don't know if it's the best option per se but I do know that going to the yellow bilsteins from the black stock shocks (same springs) reduced wallowing. I wanted the same ride height or certainly not a significant lowering so this way suited my needs.

So how is the ride height with the bilstein and stock springs? One other old thread said their car was much higher on this set up?!

Would certainly like some feedback on this setup!

Just go for some nicely priced KYB oem subsitutes. If you get coilovers and dont drive much and they start to leak youll probably be out of warranty haven driving very little on them. The only coil overs i would consider based on price and good reviews would be BC. Teins through the years have been notorious for leaks.

Cheers kyb was always quality but I had not seen them in uk? I’d not be adverse to those either

Would certainly like some feedback on this setup!

Of course mate, I'll post up when i get car back. it's 3.5hr drive back from Whifbitz with a stop for me so i should hopefully have good idea. But I'll also post an update when drove it a week or two.