The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cd009 opinions

auzzam

Hi guys,

I'm currently have an auto TT that needs to gearbox seals done. This has driven me to weigh out my options if I was to keep the car long term.

I've been looking into the cd009 and have found a kit, but just wanted some opinions as there's a few points I don't really understand well.

1) the internet suggests that paired with the AUTO TT diff, first and second gear will be short. What does this mean in reality? And should I factor in getting a gs400 diff which seems to match better. I don't want to go through the whole conversion cost and find the car undriveable due to short gears.

2) the kit I'm looking at comes with LHD pedals, could this be modified to work on a RHD car? The seller suggests there have been supras out there that have used RHD pedals on LHD so in theory to him it should work.

One of the main drivers is it would potentially future proof my car if I want to go single power.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

Do you want to convert to manual? You can buy a replacement auto box for a few hundred quid... Or go built auto from SRD.

If I was going manual again I'd just get the T56 or R154

Yeah always fancied going manual one day, especially if I decide to take the car to track days.

The dsg one is nice, but out of budget due to needing the syvecs install too.

The 3.7 auto diff ratio is suitable as the Nismo 370Z is also paired with a similar diff and the same gearbox. However the Nismo is a high revving NA which needs the shorter ratios due to a lack of torque. A BPU Supra does not need such short gears because it would just be spinning the wheels. The normal Zeds were fitted with a 3.5 ratio diff. With a 3.2 TT6 diff the CD009 is the same as the Getrag as far as gearing goes. If you go down the CD009 route I would buy the automatic bellhouse adapter style kit, even more so if you already have the auto now. The plate adapter style does work and has the pro that you do not have to cut the bellhouse from the CD009 the con is that it just barely fits the tunnel and can only be installed/removed with the engine out of the car,

The 3.7 auto diff ratio is suitable as the Nismo 370Z is also paired with a similar diff and the same gearbox. However the Nismo is a high revving NA which needs the shorter ratios due to a lack of torque. A BPU Supra does not need such short gears because it would just be spinning the wheels. The normal Zeds were fitted with a 3.5 ratio diff. With a 3.2 TT6 diff the CD009 is the same as the Getrag as far as gearing goes. If you go down the CD009 route I would buy the automatic bellhouse adapter style kit, even more so if you already have the auto now. The plate adapter style does work and has the pro that you do not have to cut the bellhouse from the CD009 the con is that it just barely fits the tunnel and can only be installed/removed with the engine out of the car,

Thanks for this, didnt realise the adaptor plate versions required the engine to be removed. Could see this becoming a pain in the future.

The kit I was looking at was fitted to a sc300 2jz-gte and was an adaptor style. The seller mentioned he did not need to remove engine - but he did have to knock the tunnel.

Do you think it would be the same case on the supra?

I have as new V160 gearbox wrapped in the garage if you are interested, however its not cheap as I would eb looking to recoup the cost I spent on it. However would be cheaper than a conversion I would assume but you would not have the replacement option years down the line. But if you can drive and maintain it shouldnt be an issue :)

Thanks for this, didnt realise the adaptor plate versions required the engine to be removed. Could see this becoming a pain in the future.

The kit I was looking at was fitted to a sc300 2jz-gte and was an adaptor style. The seller mentioned he did not need to remove engine - but he did have to knock the tunnel.

Do you think it would be the same case on the supra?

I have not bashed the tunnel as it fits without having to do that (standard MT tunnel). I did however remove most of the protruding parts of the gearbox with a grinder, especially around the front of the bellhouse. I do not see my transmission coming off while in the car as you can't reach the fasteners on top or get them out even with the gearbox tilting backwards. The size difference between a W58 and CD009 is huge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=234068&stc=1&d=1576161501

attachment.php?attachmentid=234067&stc=1&d=1576161415

9b1f118c-1023-4a3a-b687-baddaccec43a.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg