The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting New UK Callipers

tayr

Hi Guys

As some of you may have seen from previous threads i've purchased new UK front and rears.

I kind of want to get them painted a different colour to black.

I've been offered to have them painted at between £100-150

As they are new, is it relatively safe just to split them a part and put them straight back together again? Or shall i completely sack off that idea and just paint them with a brush on the front faces

Do i need to remove any of the pistons or anything or can i just cover them up with some tape?

If they’re brand new I would personally just paint the faces and the front facing half of calliper if you know what I mean.

You could get paint in the bores if you remove the pistons and seals etc. If you were rebuilding then from scratch and have to refurb bores and stuff then I would suggest painting apart but you’re not so take the easy and logical route!

If they’re brand new I would personally just paint the faces and the front facing half of calliper if you know what I mean.

You could get paint in the bores if you remove the pistons and seals etc. If you were rebuilding then from scratch and have to refurb bores and stuff then I would suggest painting apart but you’re not so take the easy and logical route!

/QUOTE]

Thanks mate - that's kind of what i wanted but know that a "professional" job is always better than me with a brush. I'll just take my time i suppose.

As with the decals that are already on there. Haven't looked yet but are they painted on? Do i just paint over those or do i need to scrub them off?

They are normally just a sticker applied bud and you can get brand new ones in whatever colour takes your fancy from eBay. I’ve used a few over the years and they’ve been spot on. Uber9 is the sellers name, they’re the best quality.

ATTACH]234020[/ATTACH]

IMG_0726.png

They, as in the safety people, always say you should never split 4 pot calipers as you can introduce fluid leakage between the banks of calipers when they are rejoined.

Not if you fit new seals

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't you take your time and spray them or get them sprayed

Not if you fit new seals

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't you take your time and spray them or get them sprayed

i would like to get them sprayed but there is no guarantee that the sprayer wont split them apart and re-join them anyway or get paint where it shouldn't be. And i don't really fancy fitting new seals when the brakes are already brand new.

I think i'll hand paint them this time round but when they come round to needing a refurb, split them and get them sprayed properly

You can respray the calipers yourself or brush paint without splitting. any 3rd party painting or coating the calipers is going to want them stripped down and you aren't going to then be refitting the original rubbers back in - they usually tear coming out and also often tear going in so best left alone if possible. You can get the piston boots on eBay for not a lot of money and push those into the bores over the piston and recessed boot that are fitted. That way you won't be painting up over the rubber boots and pistons and have only minimal fine brush touch up to do around the upper edge of the piston bore.

I don't see why they can't be easily masked up and left complete to spray them, you have to do

that if you split them and mask up the mating faces as well so its no advantage imo

I've done some and wouldn't be splitting them again unless they have had the pistons removed and been

media blasted

mikes calipers 022.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I’ve got some foliatec so I’ll use that. Do I really need to sand them though??

As for the decal that’s already on there, I take it they just peel off? They look like they’re painted on (I.e can’t see any lift or difference in height)