The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra crash

evinX

Jesus how bad is this comment around legislation in Russia!!!

"While it might be illegal to import a whole car from Japan, somehow it’s still legal to cut a car in half, import each half as car parts, and weld them back together wherever they end up, in this case, Russia"

Jesus how bad is this comment around legislation in Russia!!!

"While it might be illegal to import a whole car from Japan, somehow it’s still legal to cut a car in half, import each half as car parts, and weld them back together wherever they end up, in this case, Russia"

/QUOTE]

Pretty terrible. But if they are happy to use a prohibited chemical weapon (Novichok) on foreign soil, exposing innocent members of public to the deadly toxin, I highly doubt they are too worried about this.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

If done properly (chopping and joining at the manufacturers original seems), isn't a cut and shut supposed to be relatively safe? Stretch limos and cruise ships being two examples where this is carried out on a regular basis.

I dont think you can replace the strength of one single piece by welding two together.... and typically when it is done by a chop shop its done on the cheap and without a thought of the consequences. Those other cars/uses are not meant for high speed, mainly cruising.

I dont think you can replace the strength of one single piece by welding two together.... and typically when it is done by a chop shop its done on the cheap and without a thought of the consequences. Those other cars/uses are not meant for high speed, mainly cruising.

That is the point I am trying to make. If done properly. Welding two pieces of a car together in your mates back yard with no in-depth knowledge or thought into the rebuilding process isn't what I was referring to.

If all the joints are panel to panel, using the same kind of repair that manufacturers would use, done by a professional bodyshop using a jig then what would be the problem? If a damaged car can be rebuilt from the B pillar backwards what is wrong with using what is essentially a repair section welded to manufacturers standards?

This is a genuine thought and I'm not trying to condone the cut and shut method mentioned in the first paragraph.

Sure, looking at the pic its not a question I would even care about asking as I'd never want to own anything cut n shut :)

One original piece would bend, as you see those wrapped around tree, clearly the welds are weaker points compared to a single forged piece of chassis.