The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Change of colour - increase or decrease value?

Nathanj1142

A question I’ve had for a while - and always one that bugs me - should I change the colour that my car is at the minute?

The paint on my 94 NA is 199 silver. I hate silver cars however i love the look of my car. Every panel has an imperfection and I think I’m going to get the whole car sprayed eventually with silver being the one of the harder colours to match.

Would I significantly decrease the value by steering away from silver - I know a lot of people don’t like it and my car isn’t exactly stock - so it wouldn’t be more than just another modification, however one of my criteria when looking for a supra was it being in its factory colour.

I’d be getting full glass out job, shuts and returns, and I would be paying a proper body shop to do it whether it’s silver or anything else.

If I was going different colour I’d probably move away from the factory colours and go for a darker gunmetal/black with bronze flake or something. Haven’t got to looking at colours yet lol

Thoughts?

My questions would be;

Do you plan on selling it in the near future?

How much really is the colour going to effect the resale?

If you like silver, why change?

Is the colour you're going for a "fashion" colour - i.e. will it still be popular in a few years

Different colour resprays put me off because even though you know the bodyshop is good. There are alot of cowboy bodyshops which don't do that good a job, and you only really notice when you get closer.

My questions would be;

Do you plan on selling it in the near future?

How much really is the colour going to effect the resale?

If you like silver, why change?

Is the colour you're going for a "fashion" colour - i.e. will it still be popular in a few years

I don’t ever plan on selling it - but it’s one of those you never know when it might come to it.

I don’t like silver because imo it doesn’t standout, although it is a supra, and i can’t really have any colour other than black as accents with it looking right. I like how it looks on my car but only my car - if you get where I’m coming from?

I would say a fashion colour would be the nardo grey from Audi - which is going out now anyways. I’m just going to go for something sleek metallic

Have you thought about a Liquid Wrap instead? It sprays on just like paint but can be removed just like a wrap. You can have some wild colours while not altering your original paint.

I think it's better than usual wrapping as the edges don't lift etc

Have you thought about a Liquid Wrap instead? It sprays on just like paint but can be removed just like a wrap. You can have some wild colours while not altering your original paint.

I think it's better than usual wrapping as the edges don't lift etc

I’m going to be getting a full respray anyways so might aswell change the colour then - but I understand what you mean.

It’s your car, so I’d say do as you please :).

Silver is not the most exciting colour for the Supra, so I don’t think many people would blame you. If it was a rare or unique colour then I’d perhaps advise you to hold off and keep the correct paint.

Just my 2p’s worth :).

If it's a good paint job I could see it improving value to the average buyer. If it's done well there'll be no concerns about corrosion or faded paint or clearcoat or whatever other issues are commonly found on old cars. I don't think the supra crowd are the same as the american classics crowd who have to have every single original part that was on the sale sheet.

I don’t think I would of done half the things I’ve done with mine if it was still silver if I was honest

when my supra was stock I wasn’t invited to do anything but since the change I’ve been invited to all sorts of shows inc shows abroad, features and videos .. never regretted one second of changing the colour

I honestly think my car worth more as it is now then when it was silver, definitely had loads more interest especially asking me if I’m

Selling

My car was painted almost 10 years ago and still get comments on how the love the colour on it

My advice, Do want you want to it and not to worry about gaining or losing money

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

As everyone mentions. If it isnt totally stock. Then you'll loose nothing.

Just dont make the car undesirable. Dont make it different for the sake of it and you'll be fine man. Some weird ass marmite colour may cause you issues if you ever choose to sell.

As everyone mentions. If it isnt totally stock. Then you'll loose nothing.

Just dont make the car undesirable. Dont make it different for the sake of it and you'll be fine man. Some weird ass marmite colour may cause you issues if you ever choose to sell.

I might go for marmite brown then! Lol

I don’t think I would of done half the things I’ve done with mine if it was still silver if I was honest

when my supra was stock I wasn’t invited to do anything but since the change I’ve been invited to all sorts of shows inc shows abroad, features and videos .. never regretted one second of changing the colour

I honestly think my car worth more as it is now then when it was silver, definitely had loads more interest especially asking me if I’m

Selling

My car was painted almost 10 years ago and still get comments on how the love the colour on it

My advice, Do want you want to it and not to worry about gaining or losing money

Your supra is the one I saw everywhere before I even thought about buying one! I think it’s probably more memorable because of the paint lol.