The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rota wheel fitment experts required!

Simo2007

I'm 99% settled on some wheels (finally). I'm going to get the Rota Grid Drifts inspired by this image:

They are actually 19's on this car, but I'm after the concave effect on the front wheels. I understand most Rota Grid Drift packages to fit the Supra are 18x8.5J ET35 for the fronts and 18x10J ET38 for the rear, but the fitments on these fronts don't have the concave aspect.

My questions is... has anyone fitted 18x9.5J ET30 onto the front and will these clear the bigger stock front brakes? I'll be sticking with the rear as above at 18x10J ET38.

I'll most likely be getting 245/40/18 tyres for the front and 275/35/18 on the rear. I want to keep my arches stock but I plan to add coilovers in the future for a slight drop in ride height.

Excited to get these ordered!

Can't help you with your question but this page can give you a good idea on the difference between wheels

If you know your current wheels widths and offsets you can compare to the Rota's, also the difference in tyre sizes

https://www.willtheyfit.com

I've already used willtheyfit but that can't tell me about the bigger brake clearance, or whether the fronts will rub on the arch, but thanks anyway Dunk!

A quick search has revealed a whole host of threads, I'm sure the details you require will be in one of them - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=6728587 :)

Honestly I trawled through for about 4 hours last night searching on both here and supraforums and thought I'd just ask specifically on a new thread... I think some people have ran similar fitments to what I want, but not the same wheel design.

Honestly I trawled through for about 4 hours last night searching on both here and supraforums and thought I'd just ask specifically on a new thread... I think some people have ran similar fitments to what I want, but not the same wheel design.

Have you spoken with Paul @ Whifbitz or Rota themselves to see if they can advise?

All the info you could possible require has been provided in the link I posted. I searched specifically for Rota and Grid Drift wheels. I found various offsets, wheel widths and tyre sizes with photos of the wheels fitted to various cars.

Have you spoken with Paul @ Whifbitz or Rota themselves to see if they can advise?

All the info you could possible require has been provided in the link I posted. I searched specifically for Rota and Grid Drift wheels. I found various offsets, wheel widths and tyre sizes with photos of the wheels fitted to various cars.

Your link doesn't work Frank. Did you use any accents or hyphenations in your search?

Will continue trawling through, found one guy who used a 18x9.5J ET38 on the front...

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?315755-Finally-time-for-my-SUPRA&highlight=rota+grid+drift

...with bigger brakes and a 245/40/18 but still nothing on the 18x9.5J ET30. If anyone knows this off the top of their head and is willing to save me some pain please let me know :D

Will continue trawling through, found one guy who used a 18x9.5J ET38 on the front...

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?315755-Finally-time-for-my-SUPRA&highlight=rota+grid+drift

...with bigger brakes and a 245/40/18 but still nothing on the 18x9.5J ET30. If anyone knows this off the top of their head and is willing to save me some pain please let me know :D

That will teach me for being lazy! :rlol: I have a look and see what I can come up with.

Not sure if you know but most issues come from spoke design rather than offset. Also, have you considered tram lining issues?

Found this about their GTR wheels.

I'm running rota GTR's 18" 9.5J ET 30 with 255/35/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. Car is on standard shocks but has tein s tech lowering springs, rears are fine, the fronts stick out a little bit more but they don't catch on full lock or anything and just clear UK brakes. I was under the impression that the lower the ET number the further they stick out from the arch as im sure ive read that the stock wheels are ET 50. I have some coilovers going on soon and just had the arches rolled so may have to get smaller stretched tyres and abit camber to help it fit but apart from that ive had no dramas

Noticed from the link in your post are using mkiv.co.uk Maybe that is the problem? Does this link work - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330686-Full-set-of-0-miles-Rota-Grid-Drift-alloys-(18x9-5-ET-30-20)

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Link added. (see edit history)

Not sure if you know but most issues come from spoke design rather than offset. Also, have you considered tram lining issues?

Found this about their GTR wheels.

Noticed from the link in your post are using mkiv.co.uk Maybe that is the problem? Does this link work - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330686-Full-set-of-0-miles-Rota-Grid-Drift-alloys-(18x9-5-ET-30-20)

Yeah I'm completely aware of the fact the spoke design is important hence I'm after the Rota Grid Drifts to encompass larger brakes, however the offset is important to me as I don't want to roll the arches! Ah yes I have to use the .co.uk extension for the forum so it doesn't come up in VBB format! Link works fine in VBB. That link specifically shows the guy selling them but I cannot find any pictures with them on his car in his previous posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Using stretched tyres and more camber to fit wheels is no in my book, CW must cringe when he reads this stuff :)

Yeah this is something I would like to avoid!

Edited by Simo2007 (see edit history)

Using stretched tyres and more camber to fit wheels is no in my book, CW must cringe when he reads this stuff :)

I'm in full agreement, the form over function appears to be an acceptable trade off to some.

Ah yes I have to use the .co.uk extension for the forum so it doesn't come up in VBB format! Link works fine in VBB. That link specifically shows the guy selling them but I cannot find any pictures with them on his car in his previous posts.

No idea what you just said, i'm a dinosaur where all that stuff is concerned :D Regarding the wheels I would suggest therein lies your answer.

Monsween (Kieran) had these wheels fitted to his car when he sold it - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?276580-UPDATED-(Pg4)-After-4-years-I-finally-get-new-wheels

18" 9.5 with 255 fronts and an ET35 with a 10.5 and ET35 with 285's.

More photos here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?276580-UPDATED-(Pg4)-After-4-years-I-finally-get-new-wheels&p=3485394&viewfull=1#post3485394

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Links added. (see edit history)

I'm in full agreement, the form over function appears to be an acceptable trade off to some.

No idea what you just said, i'm a dinosaur where all that stuff is concerned :D Regarding the wheels I would suggest therein lies your answer.

Monsween (Kieran) had these wheels fitted to his car when he sold it - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?276580-UPDATED-(Pg4)-After-4-years-I-finally-get-new-wheels

18" 9.5 with 255 fronts and an ET35 with a 10.5 and ET35 with 285's.

More photos here - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?276580-UPDATED-(Pg4)-After-4-years-I-finally-get-new-wheels&p=3485394&viewfull=1#post3485394

Really appreciate your efforts Frank, thank you, but he states 'Car still needs the arches rolled so not moving it until that's sorted.' in post 14. I've tried to message him on Insta so hopefully I hear something...

No worries, are you stuck on a particular size or look. Is that the reason for the higher ETs?

Yeah as I mentioned in my initial post, the 8.5J that are definitely compatible don't have the concave effect as in the first photo I posted.

For anyone following this thread, I've had 2 updates regarding the ET38 and a ET35 9.5J Rota Grid Drift on the front; they don't require an arch roll, but they do both require a 5mm spacer to clear the bigger front stock brakes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ET38 + 5mm spacer = ET33, and ET35 + 5mm spacer = ET30, this is where my logic is arising from using an 18x9.5J ET30 if anyone was wondering...

Minor update, I've reached out to a few people on Facebook...

One chap running 18x9.5J ET30 front with 265/35/18 which clears 8 pot brakes fine and no spacers, 18x10J rear with 285/35/18, but rolled arches due to tyre widths.

Trying to establish whether I'd get away with the above fitments but with 245/40/18 on the front and 275/35/18 on the rear...

Or whether to just buy Josh's BBS LM's for sale :D