The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why have mk4 supras not been on "wheeler dealers" etc.?

herbiemercman

20" wheels, large offsets, lower profile tyres, wide arch body kit and wallpapered.

That alone must encompass the top 3 in the; how to fmuck up a Supra list?

This draws the attention of idiots that the Club could do without, but apparently, that's alright because it was free!

If that's the best that Jimmy de Ville can come up with, Quest TV definitely needs a new Grease Monkey.

Preferably, one who doesn't think it cool for a "middle-aged" man to gesticulate like a teenage Rapper.

Edited by David P
Correcting the spelling of "de Ville" (see edit history)

lol, its an entertainment show not a car build show. Would you rather they turned out a stock looking supra with a massively built engine that pretty much gets ignored at meets and does nothing to help the club?

The club has to survive from people knowing the url, if that means putting it on the side of a bus I would do it. Putting it on a car that everybody looks at is the perfect way to get it out there. It is not to everybody's taste, many will hate it for all the things you list, but compared to a bland looking silver supra it will do the advertising job very well.

It is what it is, I wont be changing it any time soon as it will be famous once the programme comes out. Once the wrap fades it will be toned down massively as it will have done its job by then.

lol, its an entertainment show not a car build show. Would you rather they turned out a stock looking supra with a massively built engine that pretty much gets ignored at meets and does nothing to help the club?

The club has to survive from people knowing the url, if that means putting it on the side of a bus I would do it. Putting it on a car that everybody looks at is the perfect way to get it out there. It is not to everybody's taste, many will hate it for all the things you list, but compared to a bland looking silver supra it will do the advertising job very well.

It is what it is, I wont be changing it any time soon as it will be famous once the programme comes out. Once the wrap fades it will be toned down massively as it will have done its job by then.

Well said.

:D Regarding the GWG " aka club car " I drove it down to the NEC from the Goblins garage and the car go a lot of attention all good ( thumbs up from car and van drivers passing ) and lots of people looking at it when we stopped for lunch on the motorway services, then when we got to the NEC for the show it was put on the stand in full view prime position and we had more good reports than bad to be honest from both old and youngsters

At the end of the day it is a marmite car, the wrap was designed by Helen Stanley for a specific theme ( the program airs in January will explain ) it gets the Club noticed and " out there " which what we all wanted in the project

Regarding the ride with the 20" wheels it is a hard ride but nothing too uncomfortable I didn't push it tho as it was chucking it down most of the way down :p

Cheers

-Ian-

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I should add my twopenneth as the car is sat on my drive!

I get that the car is not to everybody's taste but no 2 Supras have ever met with identical positive responses so this doesn't bother me one bit. It's grown on me and I now love it. Yes it gets a staggering amount of attention from all quarters - young kids love it and I've whizzed it around to a few kids' houses for them to sit in etc and it makes their day so for that alone it's worth it. I get stopped a lot by all sorts of people asking about it and it gives me a chance to talk about the forum, the club and the programme so it's a fantastic advertising vehicle in many ways for the club - don't knock it because you think it may attract the 'wrong' type of people, you'd be surprised how many above ASBO age people stop me to talk about it. Don't knock it David, look at the positives this car offers.

I drive it to work some days and intend to use it a heck of a lot and get it out there and noticed. It needs to be louder though to match the loud looks - yesterday I was outside a college and some yoofs were shouting "Rev it!". Their faces were a tad disappointed when I did! :D

In terms of how this transformation came about you have to hand it to Ian, Darren and Branners for making this happen - I don't know of any other car club that has had this happen and it's testimony to the incredible passion and hard work that these guys put into the club that events and things like this even happen at all - I take my hat off to all of you.

How does it drive? I think it was built for looks first and foremost so yes it has compromises but then so does adding anything to affect handling over and above the stock package. There is some fouling on lock etc but I've had that with smaller wheels and non-stock suspension before so this is a common area for me! It actually drives really well on the move, handles well and the suspension is more than fine. There will always be tweaks but that's the great thing about having a car like this, the work is never done!

I've got some great pics taken by a local 'tog' which I'll add once the programme has aired - don't want to spoil their thunder at this stage.

As Branners has mentioned, I'll be adding some forum graphics etc to make this a true forum promo car which, in my opinion, makes for a superb advertising opportunity.

And yes Frank, my mid life crisis has been going on since the early 90s and shows no signs of fading yet!

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

Thought I should add my twopenneth as the car is sat on my drive!

I get that the car is not to everybody's taste but no 2 Supras have ever met with identical positive responses so this doesn't bother me one bit. It's grown on me and I now love it. Yes it gets a staggering amount of attention from all quarters - young kids love it and I've whizzed it around to a few kids' houses for them to sit in etc and it makes their day so for that alone it's worth it. I get stopped a lot by all sorts of people asking about it and it gives me a chance to talk about the forum, the club and the programme so it's a fantastic advertising vehicle in many ways for the club - don't knock it because you think it may attract the 'wrong' type of people, you'd be surprised how many above ASBO age people stop me to talk about it. Don't knock it David, look at the positives this car offers.

I drive it to work some days and intend to use it a heck of a lot and get it out there and noticed. It needs to be louder though to match the loud looks - yesterday I was outside a college and some yoofs were shouting "Rev it!". Their faces were a tad disappointed when I did! :D

In terms of how this transformation came about you have to hand it to Ian, Darren and Branners for making this happen - I don't know of any other car club that has had this happen and it's testimony to the incredible passion and hard work that these guys put into the club that events and things like this even happen at all - I take my hat off to all of you.

How does it drive? I think it was built for looks first and foremost so yes it has compromises but then so does adding anything to affect handling over and above the stock package. There is some fouling on lock etc but I've had that with smaller wheels and non-stock suspension before so this is a common area for me! It actually drives really well on the move, handles well and the suspension is more than fine. There will always be tweaks but that's the great thing about having a car like this, the work is never done!

I've got some great pics taken by a local 'tog' which I'll add once the programme has aired - don't want to spoil their thunder at this stage.

As Branners has mentioned, I'll be adding some forum graphics etc to make this a true forum promo car which, in my opinion, makes for a superb advertising opportunity.

And yes Frank, my mid life crisis has been going on since the early 90s and shows no signs of fading yet!

I have to admit I gave this stick to begin with as well but I do think it’s good for the club and it’s definitely better than before (Those flames :lol:) plus that rear wing seems quite impressive as it’s functional.

It would be good to see the car in the metal at some point. Let me know when you’re out and about in it Ellis :D

I watched the Viva episode the other week and i just see possibly the poorist car show yet, stick a few bits

on car and hey check this out.

FOOSE and Co have nothing to be worried about

In response to your comments Dunk Yes it is a poor relation to " Chip Foose and Kindig etc " from America they all have Fantastic budgets and have to time to do their brilliant builds, The Goblins do not have 5% of their budgets, Yes some of their "builds " are not as good as we have come to expect with the American shows, Having got to know the three Goblins Jimmy, Helen and Ant all have their own particular talents and to my knowlage it is the only UK based "custom car" show apart from that Chop shop mess down in London, The others like Fuzz Townsend etc who "restore" cars not customise them

Just to add the three presenters are very approachable and friendly and hope there will be a fourth series but reading between the lines it might not be happening but fingers crossed

Cheers

-Ian-

Watched Goblin works last night (fiat 500) and noticed in the starting titles the Matt black Sup reversing into their garage.

I almost fell off my chair.

I suspect it will be normal ott stuff for this program (definitely not Chip Foose) but it's good to get our cars and the club out there. Much the same when top gear did the comparison between the IV and the V.

Well done all involved and to the owner, nice write up.

Look forward to watching the episode