The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Check those hidden areas, Another Rusty Supra

safcdixon

Hey guys, Ive recently bought another supra project that was going to be rebuilt, it had been kept dry stored for about 3years during this time, it was partially stripped down as an ongoing na-t w58 project etc

The following pics will show why its vital the areas behind the sill covers, hockey sticks, sidepods, spats and sideskirts if fitted need checking.

This car was motd last in 2015 with one advisory for corrosion to the underside, so it can spread very quickly even if the car is parked in a dry area.

Ouch, that's bad

Are you going to get it all repaired?

Unfortunately not I think its a bit far gone if im honest, I did one a couple year back it was a ballache from day one and this is worse so Il be stripping it, Ive got my old tt shell still in storage so most parts will be going into storage for that rebuild

Hi Saf, I have owned my car for 23 years from new and i had a concern recently about the possibility of having the situation you have, but may be not as far gone. See my thread attached. Just a recommendation on rust proofing, i have been a "Waxoyl" fan for many years, i trated my cars every 3 years and to date have had no issues with corrosion. Herbie.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?354247-Fibre-glass-cills-comando-body-kit-part-inside-corrosion

Hi Saf, I have owned my car for 23 years from new and i had a concern recently about the possibility of having the situation you have, but may be not as far gone. See my thread attached. Just a recommendation on rust proofing, i have been a "Waxoyl" fan for many years, i trated my cars every 3 years and to date have had no issues with corrosion. Herbie.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?354247-Fibre-glass-cills-comando-body-kit-part-inside-corrosion

I must admit, i do cringe when i see people advising not to use anything on the underside to protect it. The bad stuff is the traditional black bitumen based underseal. The good stuff is wax based. Waxoyl does offer some protection but the Bilt Hamber stuff is even better. Most of the problem areas are box sections and cavities that rot from the inside where the steel has little or no protection from the factory. The only way to treat them is with a good cavity wax. Even if there is already surface rust in there, the Bilt Hamber stuff has corrosion inhibitors that will arrest it and stop it spreading further.

With endoscopes now so cheap even for half competent ones you can cause yourself much angst for little money by peering into box sections through grommet holes.

You can get 1080p scopes off Ali express for 5 quid delivered. Bluetooth and work on smartphones

Mine is currently up with James hart, he’s just finishing my complete underbody treatments amongst a few other things

Luckily mine was already very good underneath, no signs of rust.

Even so I couldn’t recommend it more! Keeping these untreated is a bad idea!

Also endoscopes are a great idea I use the iPhone one and it’s great for checking those non inspected areas

There you go, spend a fiver to spend 2K on fixing stuff you would have been better ignorant of ;)

I have a cheap fleabay one that connects to my phone and it has been useful during my rear end rebuild, rust repair and treating, but the depth of focus is very very limited, and yes it will go through a hole, but beyond that you have no control to look up/down etc.

I have an optical medical one, but it's fragile and the power supply (two big halogen bulbs and a hefty transformer in a steel case) weighs a ton and if it's knocked when on a bulb often goes. But it will focus and has a 45 degree head so I can see piston tops or valves and seats, and it will focus over a fair range. I would imagine some of the better digital ones are much easier to use and tougher these days. What I *DO* want is an X-Ray machine and my pal who is a vet is getting rid of their old one that's in storage. He's a bit worried about the `elf n safety issues so it may have to be sold as parts (with a fag packet re-assembly manual) ;) I know it still works as he's X-Rayed me a couple of times when queuing at accident and emergency didn't appeal!

Microscopical cracks? Xrays? You lot have to be kidding. Cars are made up of pressed peices of metal spot welded together. They will rust and crack in places no matter what. And to anyone who thinks their 23 year old plus supra is mint. I have news for you. Lol this isnt air crash investigation and engine blade metal work here. Its a mass produced product from 1993.

What could be done to cure any microscopic cracks in the metal though?

Cut it out and refabricate.

Many race cars in higher end formulae have to have various parts crack tested regularly. These bits are often very expensive and hard to source, or require jigs making to recreate them. Catching stuff before it fails altogether can save a lot of money.Repairing them or making a jig or accurately measuring from a cracked but otherwise intact part is far easier than looking to recreate a now mangled bit of metal, sometimes crack testing even saves lives.

Having said that the FIA have an ongoing issue with late formula cars that use carbon fibre parts whch can fail catastrophically with no warning, with nothing showing amiss on an X-ray. An elderly X-Ray machine is also very useful for reverse engineering potted electrical stuff.

In any case, anything dangerous running on 50kV plus is just cool to have

Mine is currently up with James hart, he’s just finishing my complete underbody treatments amongst a few other things

Luckily mine was already very good underneath, no signs of rust.

Even so I couldn’t recommend it more! Keeping these untreated is a bad idea!

Also endoscopes are a great idea I use the iPhone one and it’s great for checking those non inspected areas

I've seen yours a few times at James. It's looking good and in reliable hands.