The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help choosing a new TV

Tyson

I am getting a new TV for the living room which will be used to play my Xbox on occasionally.

It is an absolute minefield out there with loads of different manufacturers offering their own special HDR enhancements and other bits of technology that they make their own fancy name up for. Plus there are hundreds of different model numbers for each manufacturer and a lot of the time it is not clear what it means so I’m at a loss at the moment !

My absolute maximum budget is £400 and I don’t want to go smaller than the 42 inch I already have so does anyone have any recommendations ?

Tried to see reviews on it and didn't really find too much, on Amazon the reviews are for all sizes on that particular TV page. Some cheaper Panasonic's are not Panasonic! But rebadged just beware. Go to Richer Sounds and have a look, it's good to see and usually they're knowledgeable people and have good deals. My LG has been good for 6 years ( non smart 42") decent quality for then.

I think the important thing to remember when buying a TV is that once it's in your living room it's not going have multiple other TVs either side of it with all their different modes to compare it to.

So you won't notice the difference and as long as you've bought a half decent one it will still look great no matter which one you pick lol

Maybe they've improved since I last bought a TV, but the biggest thing for me was to go in and have a go with the remote. Both the remote itself and the operating system/menus can make a big difference to usability. Bit different if you're just gonna have it permanently on sky and then just use the sky box remote but things like Freeview guide, source selecting etc can be really clunky on some TVs.

Samsung or pioneer.

Hmm not so sure about Pioneer tbh. Last I knew about Pioneer was that Dixons acquired the right to use the Pioneer badge and they were being made by a Chinese Co., not that much isn't made in China these days. Pioneer themselves pulled out of the TV a long time ago and the last range was the excellent (at the time) Kuro range. I still have a 50" Kuro in my holiday house and its still going strong, but after having a LG Oled for the last few years, I really find it a struggle to watch now.

Panasonic and Sony are pretty poor compared to LG and Samsung imo. I oversee the installation of quite a few new large expensive TVs throughout the year as part of my job. We like Samsung and LG, not only do they produce top notch reproduction but tend to be reliable, normally work out of the box, most have DVB sat tuners built in, hook up ok with hideous Crestron systems with CEC control and most of all are normally priced well. My first LG Oled 55 cost £2.5k only 5 or 6 years ago and isn't even 4k, now you can pick up a stonking TV for less than a third of that.

Look out for a Samsung and I don't think you will regret it.

AVForums have decent reviews up (https://www.avforums.com/tvs/reviews/) the guys that do the reviews are impartial too which helps. I know LG share screens with Panasonic but I don't know if this is for all of their panels or just their flagship models.

HDR is a great addition if you want films and games looking at their best.