The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odometer & Speedometer Problem Help!

GreekSupra

Hello guys,

I am trying to figure this out so I need your help.

My odometer has 124.000km on it and counts still in km as I am driving, BUT the odometer display states 124.000 miles

(a friend of mine a year ago, did something in the display, it used to display KMs but he changed somehow to miles, but still records in KMs)

Now I don't know if odometer & speedometer are connected, but my speedometer face is in KM/h but reads Miles/Hour speed(GPS checked)!

I don't know if I have a converter or not in the car!

My goal is to make the odometer back to display 124.000km

My goal is to make the speedometer to display real KM/h

Let me know if anyone can help me or fix this.

The odometer is not as clever as you think :). It is simply a pulse counter. Whether it displays the word "miles" or "km" depends I think on a small wiring modification on the back of the odometer unit. I've never done it so I can't say exactly what you'd have to do.

It sounds like you have a speed converter fitted. I guess you have the original Speedo dial (complete with "kph" written in the middle), but the needle position is being scaled back by a converter. You can remove the converter by removing the dash panels (not difficult) and look for non-standard wiring.

Take your dash panels out, remove the combination meter (speedo, rev counter, etc). Behind where the combination meter used to be you will most likely find a small black box with 5 wires that Is connected to your wiring loom. This is a speedo converter. Remove speedo converter and put wiring back to original and reinstall dash. Your clocks and odo will now read kph

After doing this your car will be speed limited to 180kph. You will need to install a hks sld to remove the factory speed limit

The odometer is not as clever as you think :). It is simply a pulse counter. Whether it displays the word "miles" or "km" depends I think on a small wiring modification on the back of the odometer unit. I've never done it so I can't say exactly what you'd have to do.

It sounds like you have a speed converter fitted. I guess you have the original Speedo dial (complete with "kph" written in the middle), but the needle position is being scaled back by a converter. You can remove the converter by removing the dash panels (not difficult) and look for non-standard wiring.