The mkiv Supra Owners Club

technology upgrades - what has been done, or would be feasible?

Foibles

Hi all, hope this is not something of a boring thread starter...but I am curious to know what tricks of ingenuity members have performed or witnessed in terms of tech upgrades for the Supra? Probably more in the realm of electromechanical, rather than say...carbon wheels.

Obviously there is ICE stuff...so that is fine, but what about things like;

* Retrofitting F1 paddles to an old automatic shift (is it even doable?)

* Push button start

* Airbag sports steering wheels

* Push button hand brake (I know...that's just getting carried away now)

any slightly better ideas than this silly list?

I have always *dreamed* of an automated mechanism for the targa roof, but it simply does not appear to be viable (as opposed to feasible...I am sure a lorry of money might fix it, but there seems no easy, intuitive way)

Hi all, hope this is not something of a boring thread starter...but I am curious to know what tricks of ingenuity members have performed or witnessed in terms of tech upgrades for the Supra? Probably more in the realm of electromechanical, rather than say...carbon wheels.

Obviously there is ICE stuff...so that is fine, but what about things like;

* Retrofitting F1 paddles to an old automatic shift (is it even doable?)

* Push button start

* Airbag sports steering wheels

* Push button hand brake (I know...that's just getting carried away now)

any slightly better ideas than this silly list?

I have always *dreamed* of an automated mechanism for the targa roof, but it simply does not appear to be viable (as opposed to feasible...I am sure a lorry of money might fix it, but there seems no easy, intuitive way)

Paddle shifts have been done

Push button start can be retrofitted to any car, hardly groundbreaking.

Airbag wheels has been done, TRD option is nice.

Push button handbrake, not seen that done but with a bit of fabrication, why not.

For stuff that has been done, use search on here. You should find a good few threads.

EDIT:

* Retrofitting paddles to an old GTE automatic shift. Very do-able, will require a Syvecs ECU which also has a myriad of engine management functions. Or, for almost as much money you could use one of Burna's gear-change Gizmo's which has no other functions. (Note that GE transmission is very different)

* Push button start. Easy peasy.

* Airbag sports steering wheels. Only if car was built with airbag crash sensors, if so easy peasy.

* Push button hand brake. Don't waste your time.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

EDIT:

* Retrofitting paddles to an old GTE automatic shift. Very do-able, will require a Syvecs ECU which also has a myriad of engine management functions. Or, for almost as much money you could use one of Burna's Gizmo's which has no other functions. (Note that GE transmission is very different)

* Push button start. Easy peasy.

* Airbag sports steering wheels. Only if car was built with airbag crash sensors, if so easy peasy.

* Push button hand brake. Don't waste your time.

Lol Price is nowhere near the same as Syvecs, not the push button version I'm doing anyway. You can have a look it when I get time to bring my spare box over to you ;)

* Retrofitting paddles to an old GTE automatic shift. Very do-able, will require a Syvecs ECU which also has a myriad of engine management functions.

...not to mention the small point of actually programming the damn thing. The complexity of Auto box shifting maps have been discussed many times on here before.

...not to mention the small point of actually programming the damn thing. The complexity of Auto box shifting maps have been discussed many times on here before.

I have never programmed a box with a Syvecs, but have programmed several with a SupraStick and didn't find it complex at all, but that ECU is no use for the 5 solenoid GTE valve-body.