The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hid kits

Boyne

I had the 55W fitted to my Supra in the past and they work fine with the current wiring so long as they have the canbus ballast. Binned since the new MOT regs came into force in the UK which meant the aftermarket fitment of HID is an automatic fail item so on nightbreaker bulbs now which seem perfectly adequate as an upgrade to the traditional halogen bulbs.

Check the regs in Ireland as they will no doubt be different. But 55w and temp of 4300k. Zero need for any relay as they are plug and play (sometimes you might need to reverse the polarity). Also when I have fitted them, I just bought the cheap £20 odd set of eBay, always worked with no failures.

If they are a fail I would be tempted to still fit them and change at MOT time as they take appx 2 mins to swap over (after practice). HID are far superior to any halogen bulbs.

I don't think the issue is with the ballasts. You can no longer diverge from the manufacturer's specifications. I.e. if your car came with halogen lights from factory, you have to stick with halogen lights. What you are referring to with the headlight washers used to be acceptable but has since been superseded.

I had to replace my HIDs with halogens for the MOT. I asked what was wrong with the HIDs. I was told by the tester that there was no problem whatsoever with the light output, beam pattern, brightness, colour temperature; it was just the fact that the headlight unit had not been designed for HID bulbs.

Even thought the correct beam pattern can be produced with decent HID bulbs and standard projector headlamp units fitted to many cars, a blanket instant fail was brought in if HIDs were fitted to headlight units not designed for them. The tester himself thought it was a stupid rule.