The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Dash Cam?

David P

The High Street in my home town is only just wide enough for 2-way traffic and there is permanently a line of parked cars along one side.

Yesterday, I was passing through at around 25mph and a woman in a black Mercedes 4x4 swung open her door and stepped out in front of me. Because of oncoming traffic, my only option was to hit the brakes. I managed to stop without making contact, but she ended up sitting on the bonnet, it was sooo close that I had to reverse for her to be able to close the door.

Following which, she pretended that it never happened and walked off.

I was very tempted to inform her what she was, but knowing my luck she would have turned out to be the wife of a Senior Civil Serpent!

Consequently, I think the time has come for me to invest in a £uckw1t-cam dash-cam.

I have no idea which one to buy, recommendations welcomed?

I've got a Nextbase 312GW in my daily after too many near misses. Had it a couple years now and no issues at all with it.

It has a very good 1080p camera, and has built in WiFi so i can download videos directly to my phone if needed (via the Nextbase app). Only used the phone download a couple times so far, including when a neighbour's moped was stolen one evening, and it was very easy to do (as was stealing the moped!).

Next base 412gw 512gw or 612gw although of the bunch the 512gw is the best choice set at 1080p 60fps.

What's the difference you may ask?

Well the 412gw and 512gw are pretty much the same but the 512gw has a better night time picture given a slightly more expensive Sony sensor.

The 612gw claims 4k however it only hits a measly 30fps which is simply not quick enough for driving i have found 60fps is the minimum target you want to hit.

Conclusion get a 512gw set at 1080p 60 fps ahhh yes and don't be a bell sprout and hang the wire and plug into the cigarette lighter simply buy the hardwire kit and slip that bitch in the fuse box.

Job done.

Thank you for the input(s). :)

A Nextbase 522GW front & rear camera with Nextbase 128GB SD card & a hard wire kit are now bundled up in my watch list whilst I wait to see if any Black Friday deals come along.

These are already claimed to be priced 22% below RRP? and/or, I regularly get a 10% off for over £50 purchases promo from ebay.

Either/or/and, it's looking favourite to be my Christmas present for me. :think:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

What on earth do you need 4k for in a dashcam? You're not making hollywood movies, just gathering basic video evidence in case of an incident...

A Nextbase 112 is about £22 on Amazon; only does basic 720p video on SD card but it's cheap, simple and adequate. Get a second one to cover the rear view and you're sorted. GPS and wifi are nice features, but pretty unnecesary really.

What on earth do you need 4k for in a dashcam?

Resolution.

There will be the one time you need it and can't quite clearly see a reg because it was blur'd or slightly out of the cameras range to reliably show the plate.

4K every time and as higher frame rate as you can afford.

Resolution.

There will be the one time you need it and can't quite clearly see a reg because it was blur'd or slightly out of the cameras range to reliably show the plate.

4K every time and as higher frame rate as you can afford.

This is where the Blackvue and Thinkware are in a league of their own.