The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A jdm SZ .... I think

Mkiv jdm

With the current state of part prices i'm not sure if this will still apply and this isn't a dig at NA owners. Best bang for buck used to be pull the engine and fit the GTE as you are already starting off with a stronger engine and 400HP.

Other options are to build the NA engine to take power. I believe Noz (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?30470-Noz) has built a bit of a single beast using an NA engine.

Do you have a power figure and budget in mind?

Go NA-T NA engines are nice but nothing compares to turbo whistle especially with t51 mod

If you are not afraid to send money abroad, sometimes you can have a bargain and buy second hand kit for 2jz ge for 2k euros. A guy from Polish supra MK4 club sold couple of weeks ago full kit with ecumaster DET3 piggyback and ebay turbo and ebay intercooler for 7000pln thats less than 2k euros

even with second hand parts you are looking in 5k+ area with single turbo. don't forget about fuel injectors, clutch, some oil coolers, and other small parts

Edited by sebas (see edit history)

Are you auto or manual.

5k-10k would be a good target with second hand parts if you cant do the work yourself.

Personally. I'd advise trying to hit low 300s range with a small T3 t30 turbo.

Everyone always goes over size like T61 T4 (like I did to begin with).

300bhp supra with rapid response would be so much fun NAt.

Closer you get to 400bhp on a manual the less reliable the transmission will become. If you pop a w58 box you might as well have sold the car and bought a TT auto then gone BPU. As fixing a blown gearbox if you arent doing the work, will stack up. Espcially given you've already uprated the clutch and flywheel so it would be out for a second time.

If you're auto 400bhp be easily safe.

Many people have proven 400hp on w58 for years. Others have struggled on countless boxes. It's a gamble.

If you dont have much money. I'd do all the mechanical work. Get a plug and play ecu. Upgrade all the sensors myself and get a pro to do the mapping. Minimal labour costs and maximise expenditure on equipment that way.

I was ok with my N/A for one year… the 2JZ-GE is torquy but you really miss that kick in the ass after 4000tr... so I've gone wild without expecting it x)

The N/A option is good for an Everyday (or a few days /Week) use, the 2JZ-GTE single option is, to my taste, too aggressive to be everyday driven…

The TT option is also good, but expensive ?

Maybe the NA-T option is the best compromise between these two worlds ? Never been in an NA-T Supra though, could be more expensive than a TT swap if you do it properly...

Edited by WayneW (see edit history)

Only way to make an NA faster is to add a spooly boi or 2. There's many different ways to go about it which depends on what's available, budget and what you've got to work with already. Good advice been dished out already so see what you think.

General note from me is if you ever see yourself wanting more than 400hp, you might as well skip a TT swap and just go NA-T as you'll be spending twice when you single turbo the TT swapped engine. Just single the NA engine instead.

I was ok with my N/A for one year… the 2JZ-GE is torquy but you really miss that kick in the ass after 4000tr... so I've gone wild without expecting it x)

The N/A option is good for an Everyday (or a few days /Week) use, the 2JZ-GTE single option is, to my taste, too aggressive to be everyday driven…

The TT option is also good, but expensive ?

Maybe the NA-T option is the best compromise between these two worlds ? Never been in an NA-T Supra though, could be more expensive than a TT swap if you do it properly...

My 603hp NAt is enjoyable driven daily lol..

Only way to make an NA faster is to add a spooly boi or 2. There's many different ways to go about it which depends on what's available, budget and what you've got to work with already. Good advice been dished out already so see what you think.

General note from me is if you ever see yourself wanting more than 400hp, you might as well skip a TT swap and just go NA-T as you'll be spending twice when you single turbo the TT swapped engine. Just single the NA engine instead.

Amen to that.

Above 450hp is more difficult. You always want more. Always.

Thanks very much all of you for your reply’s . No I would be happy to have 300-400bhp it’s a auto box aswell . NA is grand but a friend of mine has a UK spec TT and the extra kick it has really makes the difference. If I went for the likes of the T3 etc pull you have to swap out much stock on my GE? Also what exhaust would be free flowing and not deafening. I bought it with hks induction + a straight stanless s pipe blitz system but it’s way to loud for me , any advice on keeping it free flowing without being stupidly loud . ?

400hp doesnt need TT gasket. Mate. I ran over that for years on stock compression. Others have too buddy.

700hp doesnt need to be forged. Few big power boys running 700+ on stock engine on GTE block. Same principles.

Throw a headgasket on there and get a decent mapper. Job done!

I'll be throwing on some pre spool nitrous 25-50 shot on my 600hp 1.5bar stock bottom end. Not sure itll love that at 2900rpm LOL but 700hp all boost should be fine.

Nice if you can forge it though. If you've the cash!

400hp doesnt need TT gasket. Mate. I ran over that for years on stock compression. Others have too buddy.

700hp doesnt need to be forged. Few big power boys running 700+ on stock engine on GTE block. Same principles.

Throw a headgasket on there and get a decent mapper. Job done!

I'll be throwing on some pre spool nitrous 25-50 shot on my 600hp 1.5bar stock bottom end. Not sure itll love that at 2900rpm LOL but 700hp all boost should be fine.

Nice if you can forge it though. If you've the cash!

I know that pistons/rods 'can' take 700hp, but this week I've seen two non built blocks go up in smoke at 560hp and 680hp. The engines are 25 years old now and need a refresh before tripling the power lol. I'm only saying 700 because that's roughly the limit I believe of the E46 M3 box I currently have...

I also want to future proof mine so when I can afford a T56 box or whatever the next capable 1000hp+ manual box is that isn't a daft V160 price & age, I can just wind up the boost on a new map and the engine will be fine :) ..I'm getting a good deal on forged pistons/rods - £1300, worth it to be worry free instead of having the spend a weekend in the future taking the block out and re-building it again imo

I'm staying away from the nitrous, I'll go full Fast and Furious are kill myself haha

Yeah I'm hoping mine doesnt pop at 600 if I'm honest. Pretty major if it did go.

1300 is a bargain to be fair.

I think we all dream of the T56. Gone are the days I consider a v160. Dont forget the diff situation would need addressing.

700hp could eat a diff if driven hard.

I'm paranoid driving hard. Which kind of ruins it sometimes. Fear of something breaking.

Forged T56 and a bigger ford diff would allow me to enjoy mine down the strip.

Yeh the T56 is possible for me, it's the exchange rate which is holding me back, if the pound gets stronger the cost is fair. But yeh the Ford rear end is a hard chunk of money to swallow!

I know Fosta popped his A02B at 800ish ft/lb (?), so I think my A02B will last for a little bit. I don't do hard dig launches or drifty stuff, just want a properly set up fast, reliable road car :), rolling from 50mph is more my kind of thing..