The mkiv Supra Owners Club

OEM wider rear arches

evinX

I want to bulge out the rear arches on my supe, the shape it has at the moment looks great, but wider oem rear arches will look spot on for me. Now i dont want to go cutting out and welding the arches, the cars not old enough for that yet. Kind of thinking towards a fibreglass over fender bonded over the arch and use fibreglass filler to blend it into the the oem arch edging, door/boot/rear bumper/side duct lines and retain the rear hockey trim, there was a time when a few members used Nur Motorsport oem style arches but that seems to be a thing of the past. I have seen grams arches but people usually rivet them on, thats a no no for me. Whats out there thats oem style, and anyone got pics of supras with oem wider rear arches.

cheers

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

Fibreglass will crack

Grams is only 1 inch

Nur is only like 2 inches

I made my own metal wide body kit. 3.5 inches both sides. ZERO fibreglass....

Make your own. Only thing that looks any good in comparison (that is better than TRD) is GT300. Which is majorly square.

Fibreglass on a decent rear quarter would probably devalue you car. Just cut the metal, do it professionally and to a high standard. I would say 90% of bodyshops can't do this kind of work. It needs experienced panel beaters with hand craft experience. I done the front wings also.

Here's mine in rough black (wasn't final colour or setup). I even widened the rear vent location.

These are actually the first photo's I've actually shared publically. As it's not finished just yet. Look's totally different now, but only letting the odd photo out publically until it's totally done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=233755

attachment.php?attachmentid=233758

attachment.php?attachmentid=233756

20171216_103404 - Copy.jpg

20180113_200014.jpg

IMG-20171216-WA0023.jpg

20171207_123830 - Copy.jpg

IMG-20180202-WA0018.jpg

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Fibreglass will crack

Grams is only 1 inch

Nur is only like 2 inches

I made my own metal wide body kit. 3.5 inches both sides. ZERO fibreglass....

Make your own. Only thing that looks any good in comparison (that is better than TRD) is GT300. Which is majorly square.

Fibreglass on a decent rear quarter would probably devalue you car. Just cut the metal, do it professionally and to a high standard. I would say 90% of bodyshops can't do this kind of work. It needs experienced panel beaters with hand craft experience. I done the front wings also.

Here's mine in rough black (wasn't final colour or setup). I even widened the rear vent location.

These are actually the first photo's I've actually shared publically. As it's not finished just yet. Look's totally different now, but only letting the odd photo out publically until it's totally done.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=233755

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=233758

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=233756

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233758[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233759[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233756[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233757[/ATTACH]

That looks amazing mate. What i want but not to that extent of width. Did you cut and reposition the oem arch then?

Yes. I have 13J wheels with a -8 offset. So the wheels helped as a guide reference but just Datum off the car body and ensure the lines flow the same.

It's a mountain of work. Taken me quite a while to do it all. But worth the end result.

Ridox actually widen their front wings the same way. Extending the natural profile. You can see the front wing extends in it's natural curve location. As it's not a perfect curve over the bonnet to the front wheel.

Send me your WhatsApp and I'll private you some more photos of the build to help give you an idea.

Most kits require you to cut the arch anyway. As wider wheels would contact the current rear arch location. So you save nothing trying to leave it untouched. You're better to cut that oem body and reshape it keeping it all intact. Allowing natural shape but no fibreglass.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I have 13J wheels with a -8 offset. So the wheels helped as a guide reference but just Datum off the car body and ensure the lines flow the same.

It's a mountain of work. Taken me quite a while to do it all. But worth the end result.

Ridox actually widen their front wings the same way. Extending the natural profile. You can see the front wing extends in it's natural curve location. As it's not a perfect curve over the bonnet to the front wheel.

Send me your WhatsApp and I'll private you some more photos of the build to help give you an idea.

Most kits require you to cut the arch anyway. As wider wheels would contact the current rear arch location. So you save nothing trying to leave it untouched. You're better to cut that oem body and reshape it keeping it all intact. Allowing natural shape but no fibreglass.

Noz, the fender work on your Supra is amazing and probably one of the best and widest ones out there :thumbs:. The cost of that work in comparrison to alternatives though could very much sway a decision to go that way or not, and you have to run huge wheels and tyres which isn't for everyone.

Kev, if your arches are in good shape you could just roll or trim the lips and get the flushest wheels you can for a "wide look". Have a look in this thread where the widest wheels on stock arches are discussed. I have the NUR style arches from Grams front and back for an enhanced OE look on mine and had no cracking issues, and may never have but time will tell (2 years so far). The rear arches are a no going back route and take much body work to fit on. I have an album of progress pics if you fancy browsing here.

imageimage

Edited by Delboy52 (see edit history)

Cheers Mike, i remember your respray thread and the overfenders look good. Im quite tempted to do the 50mm in fibreglass but thatll mean new wheels just to get a bigger bulge or buy the 25mm and chop them up to get the lines i want. Ideas are flowing...something will happen

- - - Updated - - -

hehe only -8 in offset. mine is 13x19 offset -20 ;)

Noz, the fender work on your Supra is amazing and probably one of the best and widest ones out there :thumbs:. The cost of that work in comparrison to alternatives though could very much sway a decision to go that way or not, and you have to run huge wheels and tyres which isn't for everyone.

Kev, if your arches are in good shape you could just roll or trim the lips and get the flushest wheels you can for a "wide look". Have a look in this thread where the widest wheels on stock arches are discussed. I have the NUR style arches from Grams front and back for an enhanced OE look on mine and had no cracking issues, and may never have but time will tell (2 years so far). The rear arches are a no going back route and take much body work to fit on. I have an album of progress pics if you fancy browsing here.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/11/34.jpghttps://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/11/35.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback mate! There are a few wider ones out there for sure, any wider and I would have lost the OEM shape. All body kits though from what I've seen. No one's into fabrication these days!

The cost puts people off. Which is why no one's done it I suppose. As you very well know good friend! Shared my pain through the process lol..

It's good to see those arches I hand-delivered are holding up well, and the headlights! One of my favorite looking Supra's there buddy. Look's so clean. I hope mine looks that clean one day.

That was amazingly generous of you Noz to drive the extra 400 miles and drop those off. :ok: Thanks again for making sure they didn't get trashed in the post mate!

Plenty of interest but not enough demand for such custom work perhaps?

Cheers Mike, i remember your respray thread and the overfenders look good. Im quite tempted to do the 50mm in fibreglass but thatll mean new wheels just to get a bigger bulge or buy the 25mm and chop them up to get the lines i want. Ideas are flowing...something will happen

I'm only down the road from you in Milton Keynes if you fancy seeing what yours could look like with bigger arches.

Have you considered the Veilside arches? They would be revertable depending on how they're attached, and you might get away with not having to respray your car.

That was amazingly generous of you Noz to drive the extra 400 miles and drop those off. :ok: Thanks again for making sure they didn't get trashed in the post mate!

Plenty of interest but not enough demand for such custom work perhaps?

I'm only down the road from you in Milton Keynes if you fancy seeing what yours could look like with bigger arches.

Have you considered the Veilside arches? They would be revertable depending on how they're attached, and you might get away with not having to respray your car.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2019/11/36.jpg

I wouldnt want the veilside arches unless i went for the full blown kit. But my fibreglass 21years old days are done for me. My arch will need a recoat either way as my neighbours bin flew into it one fine windy night. Thinking of buying the grams and reshaping it. Bond it on and blend in. We need to meet up at some point havnt seen mr P in a good while