Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flooding!!

I'm part of the furniture Club Member Dnk's Avatar
    Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Such a catch 22 situation with these original matrix units being so fragile though isn't it.
    For sure, amazes me some are still working, mine failed a long time ago.

I just did a search and it was changed before 2009
    Last edited by Dnk; 08-11-19 at 11:08.
    Dunk

Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    I would assume it is coolant. Its just a mini radiator. Maybe its the calm before the storm ie. Slight leak you noticed then shazam the floods will come. I think they go bad becuase of the lack of regular coolant changes. I had a 20 year old radiator go on me because of the plastic. But the core...dare i say was mint the fins were strong! No stains either. The heater core is full alloy so id imagine once the coolant system was free from degraded coolant and contaminents...in theory they could go on much longer...

Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by evinX View Post
    I would assume it is coolant. Its just a mini radiator. Maybe its the calm before the storm ie. Slight leak you noticed then shazam the floods will come. I think they go bad becuase of the lack of regular coolant changes. I had a 20 year old radiator go on me because of the plastic. But the core...dare i say was mint the fins were strong! No stains either. The heater core is full alloy so id imagine once the coolant system was free from degraded coolant and contaminents...in theory they could go on much longer...
    Mine was changed at the correct times so who knows, always had Toyotas coolant in it
    Dunk

Work... what work? Club Member AdamAMG's Avatar
    Feedback
    Thanks for the advice chaps - I'll have a look and report back with some pictures this afternoon.
    I am currently on my fourth and fifth Supra relapse and desperately searching for a cure from this debilitating condition...

Most notable vehicular history:
    Grey Toyota Supra Big Single VVTi Built Auto Stage 2 // White Toyota Supra TT VVTi 6 Speed - stock...
    Black Audi S8 Plus; Black Porsche 911 991.2 Turbo S; Grey BMW 640d - modified to 450bhp; White Audi RS7 Performance - modified to 690bhp; White Tesla Model X P100D; Grey Tesla Model S P100D; White Audi RS6 Performance; Black Audi RS Q3; Grey Toyota Supra TT VVTi Tiptronic - BPU; White Mercedes GTS; White Mercedes CLS63 AMG S; White Mercedes C63 AMG S; Black Mercedes E63 BiTurbo AMG S; Silver Mercedes E55K AMG - modified to 650bhp; Black Toyota Supra Single Turbo Auto - modified to 620bhp; Black Toyota Supra TT VVTi Tiptronic - BPU

I'm addicted now! Club Member herbiemercman's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    I am with DNK, pressure test the heater system and eliminate this most popular failure mode.

I had a wet carpet and i traced it to the door seal, it was very difficult to trace, as the water gets in, and can be no where near where it gets onto the floor pan carpet.

I have owned my car from new in 1995 and always used Toyota "Forlife", so this should avoid the cooling system failing/leaking.

Good luck. Herbie.

Feedback
    So, I didn't manage to have a completely thorough look this afternoon as the new alarm installation took longer than anticipated. However, we had the car idling for over an hour whilst the work was being carried out and there was absolutely no signs of a water leak. I also had a look at the coolant level, which, surprisingly, appeared full!!

Here's a picture of the cap Scooter.

20191108_133349.jpg

I think the next thing to try, as kindly suggested, will be to pressure test the system and hope it doesn't explode in the process, until then, the mystery continues...
    I am currently on my fourth and fifth Supra relapse and desperately searching for a cure from this debilitating condition...

Grey Toyota Supra Big Single VVTi Built Auto Stage 2 // White Toyota Supra TT VVTi 6 Speed - stock...
    Black Audi S8 Plus; Black Porsche 911 991.2 Turbo S; Grey BMW 640d - modified to 450bhp; White Audi RS7 Performance - modified to 690bhp; White Tesla Model X P100D; Grey Tesla Model S P100D; White Audi RS6 Performance; Black Audi RS Q3; Grey Toyota Supra TT VVTi Tiptronic - BPU; White Mercedes GTS; White Mercedes CLS63 AMG S; White Mercedes C63 AMG S; Black Mercedes E63 BiTurbo AMG S; Silver Mercedes E55K AMG - modified to 650bhp; Black Toyota Supra Single Turbo Auto - modified to 620bhp; Black Toyota Supra TT VVTi Tiptronic - BPU

Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Stock is 1.1 bar so the 1.3 bar puts a bit more strain on the old system, approx 3 psi
    Last edited by Dnk; 09-11-19 at 17:12.
    Dunk

Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    Why is there any need for a 1.3 bar cap on a road car? That will just have the system under silly pressure constantly. Get a 1.1 back on there single turbo or not

Feedback
    What is the extra pressure meant to do anyway? Aside from blowing up random components of the radiator system?

Feedback
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAMG View Post
    What is the extra pressure meant to do anyway? Aside from blowing up random components of the radiator system?
    Lets the system run hotter without it boiling

A system under pressure can handle higher temperatures, and offers a higher static boiling point. ... If pressure is applied to the liquid, it must become hotter before it can boil. Pure water in a cooling system will boil (at sea level) at 212 F. At higher altitudes, atmospheric pressure is less than at sea level.
    Dunk

Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnk View Post
    Lets the system run hotter without it boiling

A system under pressure can handle higher temperatures, and offers a higher static boiling point. ... If pressure is applied to the liquid, it must become hotter before it can boil. Pure water in a cooling system will boil (at sea level) at 212 F. At higher altitudes, atmospheric pressure is less than at sea level.
    Right, so with a single turbo, wouldn't the system run hotter than a standard twin set up?

Feedback
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAMG View Post
    Right, so with a single turbo, wouldn't the system run hotter than a standard twin set up?
    Not really, probably cooler if the turbo is oil cooled only

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Feedback
    Anyone know where I can get one? The usual suspects only seem to stock the high pressure caps...

Feedback
    Thanks buddy; ordered.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234