The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flooding!!

Mo Reviews

So, I didn't manage to have a completely thorough look this afternoon as the new alarm installation took longer than anticipated. However, we had the car idling for over an hour whilst the work was being carried out and there was absolutely no signs of a water leak. I also had a look at the coolant level, which, surprisingly, appeared full!!

Here's a picture of the cap Scooter.

20191108_133349.jpg

I think the next thing to try, as kindly suggested, will be to pressure test the system and hope it doesn't explode in the process, until then, the mystery continues...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the extra pressure meant to do anyway? Aside from blowing up random components of the radiator system?

Lets the system run hotter without it boiling

A system under pressure can handle higher temperatures, and offers a higher static boiling point. ... If pressure is applied to the liquid, it must become hotter before it can boil. Pure water in a cooling system will boil (at sea level) at 212° F. At higher altitudes, atmospheric pressure is less than at sea level.

Lets the system run hotter without it boiling

A system under pressure can handle higher temperatures, and offers a higher static boiling point. ... If pressure is applied to the liquid, it must become hotter before it can boil. Pure water in a cooling system will boil (at sea level) at 212° F. At higher altitudes, atmospheric pressure is less than at sea level.

Right, so with a single turbo, wouldn't the system run hotter than a standard twin set up?

Update

So, ran a hose over the car today and there were absolutely no signs of any seepage. I also had the car running for over an hour with the AC on full blast and, again, there were no signs of a leak. Also, as far as I can tell, the coolant level is full, so I'm pretty much out of ideas now...

Just have to monitor the coolant closely, you'll be having to use the heater a lot in the coming months so you'll notice a loss of coolant of cabin heat. If your coolant doesn't go down but then the footwell gets wet again you are back to hunting a leak to the elements.

• 3 weeks later...

Taste the water, if it tastes very sweet it's engine coolant and the matrix is dead. Don't let a dog in the car they will lap it up and it's a killer, maybe to a cat, too. The air con can only produce water externally when in use and the water from the heat exchanger defrosts, a drain should take ot outside the car. the air con uses no water INTERNALLY. Often the water valve is sticking check everything it's not a job to tackle twice....