Flooding!!

Mo Reviews

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jezz had it nailed down, was experienced in the process has probably done more than pretty much anyone else when he's saying 3 hours and £250 cash to do it. Even then it's £250 labour, so you'd need to tack on the matrix and sundries (aircon regass, coolant etc)

The issue now is it's a long process for anyone less experienced, also I think some might decline or give a 'hassle' price, because frankly they can fill their time with as profitable jobs for far less hassle. There is a chance of collateral damage to dash pieces, wiring being disturbed and causing issues after the job is done, if ever a job said "major ball ache" it's this one.

Update:

The floormat I had removed from the passenger side footwell has a slightly sweet smell; however, having driven the car this afternoon, albeit without using the AC, I can confirm that there was absolutely no signs of a leak!! From my understanding then, this does cast some doubt over the theory that it may be the heater matrix as one would expect it to leak, whether or not the AC is in use?

Edited by Mo Reviews
Spelling. (see edit history)

Update:

The floormat I had removed from the passenger side footwell has a slightly sweet smell; however, having driven the car this afternoon, albeit without using the AC, I can confirm that there was absolutely no signs of a leak!! From my understanding then, this does cast some doubt over the theory that it may be the heater matrix as one would expect it to leak, whether or not the AC is in use?

If its got a sweet coolant smell/taste about it I can't think of anything else it could be I am afraid. Possibly a coolant leak elsewhere that's tracking down to the lowest point maybe. Soak a bit of white kitchen roll with it to give you an indication of the colour. I am not sure if 4 life coolant has the same sweet taste as normal anti freeze, but the simplest way normally is to wet your finger with it and have a taste. I know it sounds a little bizzare.

I would unclip the plastic from the door sill and at the front pop (push in the central button and it should just come out) the retainer to remove the whole plastic piece. Then you can fold back the carpet to access the ecu cover.

Then check the radiator is completely full, and the coolant expansion tank has some coolant in it. Then drive around for a time with the heaters on full, stop when up to temperature and carefully feel the in and out matrix rubber pipes in the engine bay, careful both should obviously be hot hence the caution. A noticeable temperature difference means the matrix is partially blocked/flow is restricted through it.

If after a long'ish drive, during which you were always getting nice full heat from your blowers, you suffer no noticeable coolant loss (compare when fully cooled) then it can't be leaking. Obviously leaving the carpet folded back will help spot anything, often the leak is enough to have steam/water noticeably enter the cabin.

I would assume it is coolant. Its just a mini radiator. Maybe its the calm before the storm ie. Slight leak you noticed then shazam the floods will come. I think they go bad becuase of the lack of regular coolant changes. I had a 20 year old radiator go on me because of the plastic. But the core...dare i say was mint the fins were strong! No stains either. The heater core is full alloy so id imagine once the coolant system was free from degraded coolant and contaminents...in theory they could go on much longer...

I would assume it is coolant. Its just a mini radiator. Maybe its the calm before the storm ie. Slight leak you noticed then shazam the floods will come. I think they go bad becuase of the lack of regular coolant changes. I had a 20 year old radiator go on me because of the plastic. But the core...dare i say was mint the fins were strong! No stains either. The heater core is full alloy so id imagine once the coolant system was free from degraded coolant and contaminents...in theory they could go on much longer...

Mine was changed at the correct times so who knows, always had Toyotas coolant in it

I am with DNK, pressure test the heater system and eliminate this most popular failure mode.

I had a wet carpet and i traced it to the door seal, it was very difficult to trace, as the water gets in, and can be no where near where it gets onto the floor pan carpet.

I have owned my car from new in 1995 and always used Toyota "Forlife", so this should avoid the cooling system failing/leaking.

Good luck. Herbie.