The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Discs front stock rear grooved sports ?

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, Tomorrow i am replacing the rear discs and pads, which are stock, for sports discs, which are holed and grooved, and quoted to give improved braking.

The front discs are stock and were replaced a couple of years back.

My question is, or your opinions, on will this upset the braking balance ?

I do not think it will, but i would value other member's opinions. Herbie.

I’m running BBK up front with grooved discs and solid discs at the back. The pads are same all round. No issues for me

Are you not planning to match the fronts with grooved also? With the bias towards the front I’m unsure why you need such sporty discs at the back only if your not matching eventually?

I’m running BBK up front with grooved discs and solid discs at the back. The pads are same all round. No issues for me

Are you not planning to match the fronts with grooved also? With the bias towards the front I’m unsure why you need such sporty discs at the back only if your not matching eventually?

/QUOTE]

Hi Spunky, That is quite a sexy nom de plume, thanks for your reply.

I fitted the sports discs as they were on offer, including pads.

The front discs have twin pistons and i had the discs skimmed, the braking is very good, however i may replace them with the sports spec discs, especially if any members contradict my belief that all should be ok. Herbie.

Hi Guys, Just to close my question, re: will sports discs on the rear affect the braking balance.

I tried the braking in the wet and it is superb, so i do not need to shell out any more dosh for sports discs on the front. I should also point out that the reason for replacing the whole rear system was due to the caliper pistons starting to stick on and i had binding, and really hot discs. I cannot complain as the set up i replaced was stock and 24 years old,and 46,000 miles, the discs were really bad, i also replaced the flexi rubber pipes as degeneration of the internal rubber lining can also prevent the caliper pistons from retracting, as the broken down rubber pieces act like a non return valve and the pressure engaging the pads stays on. Herbie.