The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's your daily driver?

Simo2007

After selling my M135i due to lack of use because I got the Supra, I'm currently running an inherited Peugeot 306 HDi with 192k on, and commuting 80 miles a day (round trip) is becoming increasingly difficult as it's manual and has no cruise control.

Whilst I'm never going to get rid of the 306 due to sentimental reasons I'm intrigued to see what you guys run on daily basis, that is of course, unless you daily your Supra!

(If anyone has any experiences on the following cars or has any suggestions these are under my consideration: Range Rover Vogue SDV8, Golf R DSG, A8 4.2 TDI, Tesla Model S (85), would really like adaptive cruise next to take the sting off the A1 and whenever I drive back to the Midlands)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 2 Supras so needed something cheap to run... so at first I did the clever thing and bought a Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSTwhich was magnificent, 300hp and all the luxury in the world and fantastic noise, but at best it would do 30mpg ...or 22. Doing 22k+ miles a year it was hurting so it had to go..

Now I have a '57' plate A4 2.0TDi (170hp) and have done over 22k miles and has averaged 42.2mpg since I bought it (calculated properly), it's a really good reliable mile muncher, all I do is service and fuel it with VPowerrrrrr!

The Range Rover was lovely to commute in, could load it with crap and take to it to the skip or turn up at a wedding in it, one of those all round cars that I miss, although reliability is an issue. My alternator went and it cost £525 but thankfully the aftermarket warranty covered it. But as I was px'ing it things started to go wrong and it was going to cost thousands, I was lucky to get rid when I did.

My next daily will either be the A6 Avant or Porsche Cayenne

1.6TDi MK2 Seat Leon for me. I used to have a 120 mile round trip for work every day so it was great for eating up the miles and happily sitting on cruise control.

Much shorter commute now so I think I'll look into a petrol car at some point next year. Can't fault the Leon though, just been serviced at it's normal intervals and has never skipped a beat. Took the mother of all beatings keeping up with 40 Supra's on last years Dragonball too! My Supra only made it 40 miles down the road before packing in :D

I’m personally driving around a ep2 civic type s - I mean it only cost me £800 but it does the job! More money to spend on the supra [GRIN][/GRIN]

If I had the money I’d be going for the Tesla out of those.

There's something satisfying about cheap motoring, I really enjoy driving my late grandfathers 306 around (even though I've replaced almost everything- head gasket, clutch, new suspension all around including rear beam, calipers etc). I have no doubt it will surpass 200k and maybe even 300k! Just need something a little more wafty/automated for the longer drives.

I got 2 Supras so needed something cheap to run... so at first I did the clever thing and bought a Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSTwhich was magnificent, 300hp and all the luxury in the world and fantastic noise, but at best it would do 30mpg ...or 22. Doing 22k+ miles a year it was hurting so it had to go..

Now I have a '57' plate A4 2.0TDi (170hp) and have done over 22k miles and has averaged 42.2mpg since I bought it (calculated properly), it's a really good reliable mile muncher, all I do is service and fuel it with VPowerrrrrr!

The Range Rover was lovely to commute in, could load it with crap and take to it to the skip or turn up at a wedding in it, one of those all round cars that I miss, although reliability is an issue. My alternator went and it cost £525 but thankfully the aftermarket warranty covered it. But as I was px'ing it things started to go wrong and it was going to cost thousands, I was lucky to get rid when I did.

My next daily will either be the A6 Avant or Porsche Cayenne

What year was your RR just out of interest? Good work on the A4, that's been mile munching! Which Cayenne would you go for? The last A6 Avant I went in was the black edition, it was only a 2 litre TDI but it was exceptionally smooth and comfortable!

1.6TDi MK2 Seat Leon for me. I used to have a 120 mile round trip for work every day so it was great for eating up the miles and happily sitting on cruise control.

Much shorter commute now so I think I'll look into a petrol car at some point next year. Can't fault the Leon though, just been serviced at it's normal intervals and has never skipped a beat. Took the mother of all beatings keeping up with 40 Supra's on last years Dragonball too! My Supra only made it 40 miles down the road before packing in :D

Those VAG 1.6 TDI's are super efficient aren't they, are they the bluemotion engines? There's a possibility I'll be having shorter commutes sometime in the future but I'd still want the comfort/luxury aspect when I drive back to the Midlands up to 2x a month, hence why a diesel isn't off the cards!

Edited by Simo2007 (see edit history)

What year was your RR just out of interest? Good work on the A4, that's been mile munching! Which Cayenne would you go for? The last A6 Avant I went in was the black edition, it was only a 2 litre TDI but it was exceptionally smooth and comfortable!

It was a 2008 RR, I bought it on that day we had that Beast from the East! It made light work of the snow storms and hilly roads and the air suspension was like a carpet. A4 has been good, bought it last August and its done 23k.. I would like a automatic tho so A6 Avant S tronic would be nice. If I get the Cayenne, it would be the 2011 facelift version, 3.0 V6 TDI which I believe is the Audi Q7 engine, 245bhp and decent mpg and acceleration - 60mph in under 8 seconds. I think the interior is nicer than the older shape RR's, I just wouldn't have another (old or new shape) due to being unreliable!

I first started having a second car when I got a longer commute......back in about 2007 ish (Supra's were daily drivers before that)

Started with XUD diesels, real cheap/basic and slumming it!

205 TD

405 TD

405 TD

XC60 (more disposable available so got a 'proper' car and another Supra in the space of a few years)

Replaced with a disabled adapted 2004 Alhambra (back to slumming it slightly but heated seat and front screen make it a practical workhorse if a bit (lot!) rubbish to drive - but makes the good cars feel even more special)

Sold one Supra recently and got a BMW 645 manual convertible (for less than a NA auto!)

So BPU auto Supra, manual V8 BMW soft top and practical tip run/dog walking/fishing/disabled backup vehicle has most things covered!! All old but sensible mileage and so far self maintained fleet (the BMW gives me some anxiety! but lots of the common issues are youtubed etc but I'm under no illusion that this could bite me at any point in time!)

I learnt a long time ago my daily should be something I shouldn't give a shit about as long as its got cruise and a good stereo so - Mazda 6 diesel sport here. Bit above budget because normally I say sub a grand with MOT :D

Re buying a Golf R, its one of the most stolen cars in the UK right now, just something to bear in mind. Ive also lusted after an A8 4.2tdi but the big bill potential scares the crap out of me

Subaru Forester STI. Really is a great all round car. Not having a commute means I don't have to worry about fuel costs. I purposely bought one with a few knocks and scrapes so I don't feel the need to be precious over it. Just for lugging the dog around and trips to the tip. Gives the Supra a run for its money too!

I will always recommend a range rover I've owned five and what's funny is I have always found them reliable my last one was a tdv8 sport and when I sold it I had 170,000 I can honestly say it never broke down and was well maintained.

I now own a 2015 sdv8 and its brilliant very comfy and quick for its size and touch wood no problems so far which is more than what I can say for my wife's mercedes glc

My Supra is my daily :) I feel guilty about driving it when the weather is bad but I don't have room for two cars. My drive to work is only 4 miles so I don't care about the fuel costs.

Previously I had an 02 Ford Focus which I had no complaints about, and then an 06 Landrover Freelander TD4 which drove and ran like crap but was very comfy.

You are lucky! Everyone I know who's had a RR has had some kind of failure of air suspension bags/sensors, turbos, electronics, supercharger going BOOM etc.

But when they're working perfectly - best car in the world :D

I guess I was everything that I replaced on my last range was wear and tear items like brakes wheel bearing the only actual fault I had was the oil return line from one of the turbos it sprang a leak on the flexi part of the pipe and that's it I did change all the air bags at around 160,000 and that was only done because one was leaking oil so I replaced all four

Mercedes sprinter 4x4 works hack I don’t have a daily anymore but I do have two supras so I shall become a hermit until that rare occasion of a dry day with no salt on the roads happens on a weekend and I can go out in one of them :blink: