The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Poxy Headlight bulbs help.

chats

I have J-Spec car and learnt that the bulbs I need to upgrade from the present dim candles the car has are:

Dip 9005 (HB3)

Main 9005 (HB3)

Fog H3

Side W5W

The UK's use a 9006 (HB4) for the dips but these will not fit in the J-Spec bulb holders as the base is too big. The 9005's fit in the j-spec dip location fine but need to trim/file off the two little plastic locator tabs in the plug on the bulb.

NOW before I ruin the bulbs does anyone have pictures or diagrams exactly which bits to trim/file please!

Thanks

It's the little plastic bit in the middle the groove the plug and lamp slide over all will be clear when you try to plug it in

- - - Updated - - -

It's the little plastic bit in the middle the groove the plug and lamp slide over all will be clear when you try to plug it in

- - - Updated - - -

A little dremmel can be handy for the tab adjustment if required......just use the current bulb as a guide and trim a little by little.

The slot in the plug itself requires a sharp blade and some patience/care to avoid cutting yourself.....I'm sure there are some pics will search for you.

With a HB4 bulb there are three securing tabs, similar to the HB3. Two of the tabs are in the same position, the third isn't. So to make a HB4 bulb fit you need to remove the tab that doesn't line up with the bulb holder in the headlight unit. I've just uses scissors or snips to remove the one tab and with the two remaining you still have a good tight and secure fitment. Test fitting the HB4 bulb will show you which tab needs removing.

Yes they are a properly tight fit on the two tabs alone. Never had any issues.

PS - You can see that there is some overlap between the HB3 and HB4 tab opposing the connector but I thought I'd add in there is no point trimming that tab as what remains isn't wide enough to clear the hole when the bulb is rotated and locked in the headlight housing. I very carefully trimmed a bulb once so I know its a waste of time. Just remove the entire tab.

Edited by rider (see edit history)