The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No ACT reading, misfire and no boost!

Mo Reviews

Right, barely made it home in my single turbo this evening, the car feels like it's misfiring, it certainly isn't boosting right, it's running super rich and I've also noticed that there is no ACT reading on the Toucan display. Any ideas guys? Could it be a dodgy sensor or boost leak perhaps?

Does the customer know what's up with it then? No test drives or anything before buying it?

Probably give it a good service if it didn't get one prior to leaving JM. Fluids, filters, plugs, compression test and test for boost leaks if you can get your hands on the equipment.

I think it was a high mileage car wasn't it? I guess things will be nearing the end of their design life.

Does the customer know what's up with it then? No test drives or anything before buying it?

Probably give it a good service if it didn't get one prior to leaving JM. Fluids, filters, plugs, compression test and test for boost leaks if you can get your hands on the equipment.

I think it was a high mileage car wasn't it? I guess things will be nearing the end of their design life.

To be fair, it was running ok when I collected it. This issue only presented itself on my way home yesterday and only after a pretty spirited run so my gut is telling me; a pipe has popped off or something... its done ~100k miles/kms so not astronomical for a 2JZ I wouldn't think.

I may pop over and see Darren over at Magnum Performance on Saturday, hopefully he'll be able to shed some light on the issue.

Edited by Mo Reviews
Spelling (see edit history)

I'd 100% be taking it back.

It was advertised on JM's website with JM import plates. it's them selling it. for 23k+ it would have to be perfect. Don't they check cars before selling them?

I assume they done some sort of check as the pictures would indicate that they at least had it on a ramp... speaking with my lawyer hat on, I could possibly argue that they are liable in tort and my decision to proceed with the purchase was based on their all clear... but that's not the avenue I'd look to pursue at this stage.

I think I'll wait to see what Darren has to say about the issue and depending on that, I'll make a decision on the next course of action. I just don't want to go nuclear and drive/tow a car circa 250 miles just because a pipe has popped off or any other trivial issue.

Surely you asked for a full report before you bought it? Compression test figures etc..

They were only advertising it on behalf of their customer rather than marketing it as one of their own import vehicles. In good faith, I didn't request a compression test but again, in fairness, it was running fine when I collected it.

I believe it stands for Air Charge Temperature... there was a reading on the toucan then all of a sudden, there was no reading and that's when all the issues started.

Your car has a Syvecs I believe.... IAT Intake air temperature is the ref for the same sensor as the ACT reading......so as the Toucan is not getting a reading it could well be the sensor gone and the Syvecs has a default/limp/overfueling? seems logical, but I've no direct experience.

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?347005-Syvecs-for-dummies

Your car has a Syvecs I believe.... IAT Intake air temperature is the ref for the same sensor as the ACT reading......so as the Toucan is not getting a reading it could well be the sensor gone and the Syvecs has a default/limp/overfueling? seems logical, but I've no direct experience.

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?347005-Syvecs-for-dummies

Makes sense. Hopefully it's just not getting a reading as the pipe its connected to has popped off or something! I will update this thread once I've had the car inspected at Magnum by Darren.

So, as promised, here's the update (spoiler alert - rant!):

I took the car to Magnum Performance this afternoon to diagnose/repair some of the issues I've been experiencing.

Darren put the car on the ramp and what we found threatened to ruin my day...

1- there was a heavy ATF leak coming from what, appeared to be, the sump. Darren was able to source a replacement which was delivered within the hour. Whilst waiting for the sump to arrive, he proceeded to remove the old sump only to discover that it was cemented with an unreasonably copious amount of silicone!! After considerable effort, the sump was removed. The new sump was then installed and sealed correctly. Unfortunately, as it transpired, the garage that carried out this install had failed to fabricate a bracket for the gearbox dipstick and over time, this eventually caused damage to the pipe leading to the sump, hence the leak.

2- due to the amount of time the sump took to remove, resulting from the bizarre way it was cemented in place, we didn't have much time left in the day to fully diagnose the ACT/boost issue; however, the following was noted:

1- there is a strong smell of fuel under the bonnet which appears to emanate from the inlet side. This is being drawn into the cabin causing all sorts of problems, as I'm sure you can all imagine...

2- the intercooler was left to hang from its pipework!!

3- the car is running rich at idle with an AFR reading of circa 13!

4- the engine breather on the turbo side has just been capped off causing the engine to breathe heavier.

5- there are a plethora of silicone joints which are almost resting on the manifold. Unfortunately, we didn't have the time to remove the surrounding pipework to inspect for damage.

6- there is evidence of smog coming from around the wastegate indicating a loose install.

7- the engine dipstick was left hanging as the installer failed to fabricate a bracket to fit around the SRD inlet causing engine oil to spew out and run along the exhaust.

8- the washer fluid tank has been replaced with a BAG(!!!!) as the original container clearly could no longer fit due to the aftermarket inlet.

9- there is a misfire at low and high rpms, suspected coil pack(s) issue.

I am not pointing any fingers here but it would appear from the evidence that although the parts used in this build are of high quality, the same cannot be said for the workmanship. I am unaware as to the identity of the installer; however, by the looks of it, it is an individual who not only lacks in competence but also integrity. Thankfully, the car is now in good hands. I have arranged to take the car again next Saturday to have the remaining issues addressed. Will keep this thread updated with further developments...

20191026_134511.jpg

20191026_134517.jpg

20191026_180704.jpg

20191026_180704.jpg

Edited by Mo Reviews
Spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
So, as promised, here's the update (spoiler alert - rant!):

I took the car to Magnum Performance this afternoon to diagnose/repair some of the issues I've been experiencing.

Darren put the car on the ramp and what we found threatened to ruin my day...

1- there was a heavy ATF leak coming from what, appeared to be, the sump. Darren was able to source a replacement which was delivered within the hour. Whilst waiting for the sump to arrive, he proceeded to remove the old sump only to discover that it was cemented with an unreasonably copious amount of silicone!! After considerable effort, the sump was removed. The new sump was then installed and sealed correctly. Unfortunately, as it transpired, the garage that carried out this install had failed to fabricate a bracket for the gearbox dipstick and over time, this eventually caused damage to the pipe leading to the sump, hence the leak.

2- due to the amount of time the sump took to remove, resulting from the bizarre way it was cemented in place, we didn't have much time left in the day to fully diagnose the ACT/boost issue; however, the following was noted:

1- there is a strong smell of fuel under the bonnet which appears to emanate from the inlet side. This is being drawn into the cabin causing all sorts of problems, as I'm sure you can all imagine...

2- the intercooler was left to hang from its pipework!!

3- the car is running rich at idle with an AFR reading of circa 13!

4- the engine breather on the turbo side has just been capped off causing the engine to breathe heavier.

5- there are a plethora of silicone joints which are almost resting on the manifold. Unfortunately, we didn't have the time to remove the surrounding pipework to inspect for damage.

6- there is evidence of smog coming from around the wastegate indicating a loose install.

7- the engine dipstick was left hanging as the installer failed to fabricate a bracket to fit around the SRD inlet causing engine oil to spew out and run along the exhaust.

8- the washer fluid tank has been replaced with a BAG(!!!!) as the original container clearly could no longer fit due to the aftermarket inlet.

9- there is a misfire at low and high rpms, suspected coil pack(s) issue.

I am not pointing any fingers here but it would appear from the evidence that although the parts used in this build are of high quality, the same cannot be said for the workmanship. I am unaware as to the identity of the installer; however, by the looks of it, it is an individual who not only lacks in competence but also integrity. Thankfully, the car is now in good hands. I have arranged to take the car again next Saturday to have the remaining issues addressed. Will keep this thread updated with further developments...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233693[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233694[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233695[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233695[/ATTACH]

So, following a subsequent visit, here is an update, in the same order:

1- the strong smell of fuel was due to a split fuel return pipe in to the fuel pressure regulator. This has now been replaced and I am pleased to report that the cabin no longer carries the intoxicating odour of unburnt fuel!

2- the intercooler has been realigned and fixed using the correct brackets.

3- the car needs a remap as it is running way too rich, possibly due to the cold weather.

4- a breather pipe has been installed to help let the engine breathe.

5- these have been repositioned and replaced.

6- the top of the wastegate was completely loose, this has now been tightened.

7- a new bracket for the engine oil dipstick has been fabricated and installed.

8- a fabricated tank is currently work in progress...

9- TBC.