The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID alternatives

ben_harmer32

i was under the impression HIDs were okay. If headlight washers were fitted they had to be working, other than that no issues.

Happy to be corrected..

Found this after a quick Google search...

"Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to

convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has

been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID

bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

Found this after a quick Google search...

"Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to

convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has

been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID

bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

Think it depends (like many aspects of the MOT system) on the tester on the day. I've had 2 tests done on different vehicles recently at the same place, both had HID conversions which were not self leveling, one passed without mention and the other didn't.

Think it depends (like many aspects of the MOT system) on the tester on the day. I've had 2 tests done on different vehicles recently at the same place, both had HID conversions which were not self leveling, one passed without mention and the other didn't.

Just not worth the hassle. What do HIDs do that LEDs don't other than fail regularly and potentially fail an MOT?

The LED's just don't have the reach/range in dipped beam on the Supra Headlights compared to HID's.

Not sure that's true any more - normal 35 watt HIDs produce something like 3000 lumens. Top end LEDs can now produce 8000 lumens (allegedly). The range and pattern of the light is controlled by legal limts so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers, and that doesn't change with the type of bulb used.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know, pinch of salt blah blah), LED capabilities surpased HIDs back in 2013.

edit: I currently use 35watt HIDs and passed MOT in May. If I needed to replace a bulb I'd give LEDs a go - for 50 quid a set it's cheaper than most Toyota branded parts I might want to refresh on the car, and can be reverted to halogen bulbs for MOT if needed.

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

Mines passed with HIDS

The supra has projector headlights which are what most HID headlamps are. the only thing missing on most supras is the self levelling and washers (except UKs)

I think the MOT guidance is more towards HIDs in normal reflector headlights which are just ridiculous and blind everybody.

Not sure that's true any more - normal 35 watt HIDs produce something like 3000 lumens. Top end LEDs can now produce 8000 lumens (allegedly). The range and pattern of the light is controlled by legal limts so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers, and that doesn't change with the type of bulb used.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, I know, pinch of salt blah blah), LED capabilities surpased HIDs back in 2013.

edit: I currently use 35watt HIDs and passed MOT in May. If I needed to replace a bulb I'd give LEDs a go - for 50 quid a set it's cheaper than most Toyota branded parts I might want to refresh on the car, and can be reverted to halogen bulbs for MOT if needed.

In OEM installs I agree entirely mate, but have you actually tried a set of cheap LED bulbs in a Supra headlight on dipped beam? We have, loads of different ones, and they are terrible compared to the HID's. LED's in the main beam though, they are amazing, hence why we wanted to try them in the dipped beam, but it just wasn't the same outcome sadly.

I replaced my HID's with Night Breaker bulbs which are a lot brighter than the original halogen bulbs and road legal in non levelling light units. I could have just refitted the original halogens as the car has never been out in the dark since but on the garage wall they looked to be not that much of a drop down from the HID's I removed.