The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra wont give key back.

The Raven

Auto TT.

So today i took the car out when i stopped at home i went to turn her off but the key wouldnt go round to the position to give it back. I re checked i was in park.....nope. wiggled the key.....nope. After about 3 minutes of trying it gave it back.

Any ideas? I put some WD40 in the barrel in case it had some grit stuck. But its very very annoying and dont want to get a new barrel and end up with two keys.

Have you asked it nicely? :D

When mine did this it was the steering lock, so try wiggling the steering wheel while wiggling the key.

Another thing that can happen is that the wafers inside the actual lock snap in half, in which case you'll need to take the ignition barrel out (not too hard). You can repin it to the old key if you have the right wafers, or just remove the broken wafers altogether.

Have you asked it nicely? :D

When mine did this it was the steering lock, so try wiggling the steering wheel while wiggling the key.

Another thing that can happen is that the wafers inside the actual lock snap in half, in which case you'll need to take the ignition barrel out (not too hard). You can repin it to the old key if you have the right wafers, or just remove the broken wafers altogether.

Sorry wafers? lord knows where i will get a whole new lock set from

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Update, Broke her out of her winter slumber and decided to fix this issue.

Took very little time to pop the old barrel out and put new one in. It all works fine going to see if i can get the old one re worked so i can go back to having one key

:thumbs:

Did you try unplugging the solenoid on the auto shifter mechanism?

I changed out my shifter mech recently, and found that the ignition key wouldn't release. I unplugged the solenoid and it's now fine

/QUOTE]

Yes and on removal of the barrel the key is still playing up even when removed from the car, I suspect a failure of the mechanism inside the barrel itself. I will update once i find someone who can fix it. I think as they get older we will see more of this issue

• 10 months later...

And it’s back to the same issue today... couldn’t  turn the car off for a good while then it works again no problems.

Gaz what am I unplugging please?

Im right in thinking if this is a solenoid Issue disconnecting the battery should release the key? 

I can wait till it does it again and try it to rule it out if so. 

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)