The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adding MKV’s to the club

mplavery

It’s the MkIV owners club. It’s in the name surely?

Err yea thanks .. member since 2005 and never noticed that:rolleyes:

I do actually... lol

Nice bit of German engineering aye!

Shame really, would Boost posts, members up on here for sure and Lee P doing some interesting stuff with his MKV

Anyone on any other forums for MKV’s ? Any recommendations?

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Err yea thanks .. member since 2005 and never noticed that:rolleyes:

I do actually... lol

Nice bit of German engineering aye!

Shame really, would Boost posts, members up on here for sure and Lee P doing some interesting stuff with his MKV

Anyone on any other forums for MKV’s ? Any recommendations?

Getrag make boxes for many manufacturers, what's your point?

- - - Updated - - -

The GT86 was called a spiritual successor to Toyota’s first MR2 but they didn't call it an MR2. Therein lies the rub. This car has been produced by BMW and Toyota have clearly done as little as possible to make this car any different from the hairdressers soft top BMW sell. They have done little more than slap a new, old style badge on the car and made it a hardtop.

The proof can be seen with recent part failures, failing with known BMW issues. Then there is the BMW recall on seven MKV's due to bad welds on seatbelt mounts. So bad it is rumoured a repair is out of the question. The cars are supposed to be scrapped and the customers given new vehicles. Clearly Toyota reliability and high standards are a thing of the past.

By all means produce the car in a joint venture. But when the linage of the MKIV and it's predecessors can be traced back to the 2000GT don't use the Supra name to sell it. Call it something different.

The MKV is as much as Supra as Bruce Jenner is a woman.

For once, we actually agree on something.

This!

I don’t see the problem, Toyota teamed up with Subaru to make the GT86 and it’s one of the best handling sports car money can buy.

Lots of manufacturers team up with each other to make cars, it’s nothing new.

I personally like the MKV and can’t wait to see further progress with it.

The difference is; Toyota actually owns a stake in Subaru. Parent/sister company dealings are normal. You only have to look as far as the VAG rear 'unibrow' light design to see that in action. What isn't normal however is when a manufacturer makes a car for another, then the other just slaps their badge along with, arguably, it's most iconic name on it!!

Edited by Mo Reviews
Spelling (see edit history)

The GT86 was called a spiritual successor to Toyota’s first MR2 but they didn't call it an MR2. Therein lies the rub. This car has been produced by BMW and Toyota have clearly done as little as possible to make this car any different from the hairdressers soft top BMW sell. They have done little more than slap a new, old style badge on the car and made it a hardtop.

The proof can be seen with recent part failures, failing with known BMW issues. Then there is the BMW recall on seven MKV's due to bad welds on seatbelt mounts. So bad it is rumoured a repair is out of the question. The cars are supposed to be scrapped and the customers given new vehicles. Clearly Toyota reliability and high standards are a thing of the past.

By all means produce the car in a joint venture. But when the linage of the MKIV and it's predecessors can be traced back to the 2000GT don't use the Supra name to sell it. Call it something different.

The MKV is as much as Supra as Bruce Jenner is a woman.

Absolutely. Nailed it

The difference is; Toyota actually owns a stake in Subaru. Parent/sister company dealings are normal. You only have to look as far as the VAG rear 'unibrow' light design to see that in action. What isn't normal however is when a manufacturer makes a car for another, then the other just slaps their badge along with, arguably, it's most iconic name on it!!

Again. Nailed it

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest people check out this video:

The guys great - just show that Toyota know what they’re doing tho - bmw have already shown the potential of the b58 in their 1 and 2 series. Toyota obviously wanted the inline 6 twin turbo that follows the 2jz and why try compete with bmw to make something that just might not live upto the competition

Either that or Toyota just wanted sales so slapped a supra on the car and hoped people would buy it...

I think it’s good people are starting to accept the mkv, but hopefully don’t lose sight of the mkiv

• 1 month later...

Part of the problem is that we are mkivsupra.net, so I'm not sure mk5 owners will head our way.

There was a discussion around renaming the club to supraforums.co.uk or something like that. But thats a major rebrand and would involve mk2, mk3, mk4 and mk5 in theory.

So I couldnt really see how we can get round the issue of mk5 owners not joining the club as its mostly mk4.

The US Supraforums added a MKV sub section which caused a lot of pretty arguments due to it being a BMW. On a personal note, this place is relatively chilled out and it would be nice for it to stay that way. I don't think adding the MKV to the forum would be of any great benefit but it doesn't stop any MKV owners posting up a build thread.

Let’s face it, the forum has died down a lot in the last few years as the mkIV becomes more scarce. This forum has been very valuable to me over the years so anything that drives progression and development gets my vote. Regardless of what, who or how the new Supra was developed we should welcome the fact that it is being worked on by our major tuners and that the aim is to replicate the success of our marque.

I miss the days of the original ‘this forum is going downhill’ and Hovis threads

I also see no issue with opening the forum to all Supra marks.

It's progressive and likely to improve forum activity and sponsorship that will benefit all members.

There are few builds these days as the mkiv becomes an ageing and appreciating classic.

It would also be fair to say, regardless of the comments we all make about the mkv Supra, once it's been around a few years and prices have dropped many of the old mkiv owners will likely own a mkv. Wouldn't it be great to retain those members?

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

Never. :spank:

The MKIV will likely be worth more than the Zupra in a couple of years...

You're only lying to yourself ;)

Once these hit the £20k mark, plenty of tuning options available, it will be a contender. I'm not saying it will ever replace the mkiv, but I think it will still draw people in.

Anyway, it's the best BMW on the market.

You're only lying to yourself ;)

Once these hit the £20k mark, plenty of tuning options available, it will be a contender. I'm not saying it will ever replace the mkiv, but I think it will still draw people in.

Anyway, it's the best BMW on the market.

The fundamental problem is; the Zupra does not appeal to me from any angle.

As for the best BMW, I personally believe the M2 Comp is the best BMW currently on sale.