The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Odometer problems need help!

Marcus.supra

So my odometer stopped working and i have resoldered it 2 times and everytime, it starts counting for about 5km and then stopps again. I have done the splice mod on the connector on the back also have tried putting it back to original and also tried removing my speedo converter but it didnt solve anything.

The car is a jspec 94' and my odometer isnt looking like the once i see on the internet, it got a extra 2 solders on the top and nothing between them, and then i also found that on one place there is absolutely something that has broken of OR if this is a difference between miles and km units?? Otherwise if that isnt the case i need to know what has been there so i could solder one on and try that.

So question is, is my soldering that bad that it only works so short or is there missing parts on the PCB? Also would like to know if anyone knows the part number for the odometer pcb or price for one

received_630273460833144.jpeg

received_409447466401429.jpeg

received_2455751528081417.jpeg

Screenshot_20191018-102922__01.jpg

I have a jspec unit sitting in a box in the garage (original km unit removed from my car in 1998 when it was converted to miles) that I could photograph the back of that unit. I did a stock take on all my Supra spare parts a week ago, so it could take some finding again but if it helps you let me know and I'll try to find it amongst the pile of spares.

I have a jspec unit sitting in a box in the garage (original km unit removed from my car in 1998 when it was converted to miles) that I could photograph the back of that unit. I did a stock take on all my Supra spare parts a week ago, so it could take some finding again but if it helps you let me know and I'll try to find it amongst the pile of spares.

It would help a ton, please do!

The speed sensor on the gearbox. It's the speed sensor's signal that makes the odometer count up.

Stevie_B, when i had a code 42 problem and was searching like mad, over the years i saw alot of info from yourself that helped me alot, ever thought about doing a dedicated thread to code 42 will all the vital info and causes and maybe get a mod to sticky it? i did one on my laptop but not sure if itll have all the knowlede that you do

But then would it count just sometimes? And wouldnt my speedo be affected by that? is there a way to test and diagnos this?

Test with a different sensor but first change the odometer. Mine did that when I changed box. Everything else worked as it should, just the odometer didn't count up until I replaced the sensor.

Stevie_B, when i had a code 42 problem and was searching like mad, over the years i saw alot of info from yourself that helped me alot, ever thought about doing a dedicated thread to code 42 will all the vital info and causes and maybe get a mod to sticky it? i did one on my laptop but not sure if itll have all the knowlede that you do

Thank you, it's really good to hear the info has been useful. Work's very busy currently, so I only grab a few minutes on the forum on occasional evenings. But I'll try to get some time to make a sticky.

Test with a different sensor but first change the odometer. Mine did that when I changed box. Everything else worked as it should, just the odometer didn't count up until I replaced the sensor.

That's interesting - maybe it was the other speed sensor (there are 2) that was giving the speedo the signal to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, it's really good to hear the info has been useful. Work's very busy currently, so I only grab a few minutes on the forum on occasional evenings. But I'll try to get some time to make a sticky.

That's interesting - maybe it was the other speed sensor (there are 2) that was giving the speedo the signal to work.

Just want to share I am currently experiencing the same problem.. on the day of collection dealer told me the Tachometer doesn't work...some soldering was done to try to cough it back into life.....and now the temp is reading higher, fuel gauge is reading lower.... not sure about the boost guage.... but is f**ked.

Anyway dealer is searching for a new one which is good. Joys of a 18 + year car ownership...

I suggest to maybe apporach these guys to take a look at it.....

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/

have a look to see if https://jp-carparts.com/ have the parts.....is pricey but hey is a toyota part

Edited by Stephen88 (see edit history)