The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What tyres do you run?

Noz

I have Michelin pilot sports. Run flats sadly. 345 30 19. Lsd diff.

Traction isn't holding 600hp (in the dry) unless in fourth.

Cant red line in third!

Been looking at R888R but due to the width I have to import them.

Any other guidance on tyres? What do people run with 500hp and over? I get issues at low boost which is around 520hp. High boost and its ridiculous what the wheels spin at.

I think my tyres are my first plan of attack. Being the easiest to fix initially. Advice is really welcome.

I need to upgrade the S6 syvecs if I want traction control. So I'm hoping I can change the game with tyres and then work towards another ecu long term to S7 or expanded unit for thr S6.

You're not going to like this but the 30 profile is too small and the wheel size is too big. A larger rear profile will give you more sidewall, better grip under acceleration and more predictable handling. You need more side wall on your tyres if you want to put the power down.

As you have modified your Supra so much the best advice on how to cure this problem will come from Chris Wilson.

The S6 will work with the expander but the S6-Plus won't.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 PS4 245/40/18 on the front and Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/40/18 on the rear but the car is only BPU.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Tyre info added. (see edit history)

The 30 profile is surprisingly equal tonal 265 40.

The 35 profile due to the width looked like a 4x4 tyre when fitted lol.

Sounds like I'm going down the right path though. Thanks guys.

My son has just put 40 profile 18s on the back of his :taped: I was sure it wasnt going to look right when he said he intended to go this way, but after a bit of faff with the arches it looks and drives lovely. So much so I am thinking of going this way myself, I have a brand new set of Vred sessanta 35s to replace the same on the back of mine at the moment, but now I have seen and experienced the 40s I may change direction.

It's going to be harder with the 19" rims. You see all the US drag cars that pop j spec brakes on the rear and run those 15" (I think) rears with huge sidewalls........they are doing that purely for traction. You have 19" which limits the sidewall and runflats which limit sidewall flex

So you have a decision over how important is max traction? keeping the 19" traction will never be optimum, but something like R888's in a narrower higher profile 285/35 (does that work diameter wise) should see a big improvement?

I have a 13J wheel. So 285 isnt an option.

Shane, the profile of 40 is only relative to the tyre width. To me a 30 on the 345 looks like a typical 40 on my old 265 tyres. A 35 profile looks like a 4x4 tyre.

30 profile on 345 tyre gives 103.5mm. Whereas a 35 onna 285 gives 99.75. So I have a larger sidewall in theory.

Mot stretching the tyre makes it better which I haven't done.

Having a run flat really screws it up too.

13J is crazy :D and 19" and runflat..........so if you are not changing the wheels, and that seems unlikely all you can do is don't have runflats and change to those semi slicks perhaps, but then it'll be an aquaplaning liability possibly with 300+ widths?

Has any heard from Chris Wilson lately? I worry this thread might have affected him :D

Just grabbed a bargain on the flea bay.

Brand new unused. 325 30 19 R888.

It's a difficult balance driving wheels that are meant for a show pony and finding something drivable.

I'm certain these will do the trick. Just wont be allowed any rain days.

I run R888Rs and they are amazing. Those eBay jobbies you got will be a game changer trust me [emoji108]

/QUOTE]

You've loads more HP than me bro. What tyre size do you run. Do you have traction control, does it kick in? Got so many questions lol..

Any tips on what pressure to run them.

What gears do you hook?

What MPH do you really start feeling like you fan plant your foot. I basically cant plant on first three gears currently!

You've loads more HP than me bro. What tyre size do you run. Do you have traction control, does it kick in? Got so many questions lol..

Any tips on what pressure to run them.

What gears do you hook?

What MPH do you really start feeling like you fan plant your foot. I basically cant plant on first three gears currently!

315/30/18

I do have traction control but I leave it off, it only kicks in when wet.

In the dry it will hook up from second and even most off first when they are hot.

Run them at 32psi

I think you won’t get quite the same traction on 19s but should be worlds better than where you are now.

Mine are so grippy, that after fitting, the car went A LOT faster but actually felt slower as it there was no drama whatsoever. So now I’m going for more power to see if we can get that scare factor back [emoji23]

315/30/18

I do have traction control but I leave it off, it only kicks in when wet.

In the dry it will hook up from second and even most off first when they are hot.

Run them at 32psi

I think you won’t get quite the same traction on 19s but should be worlds better than where you are now.

Mine are so grippy, that after fitting, the car went A LOT faster but actually felt slower as it there was no drama whatsoever. So now I’m going for more power to see if we can get that scare factor back [emoji23]

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply mate.

Ive seen various other comments about the 315/325 on 19s and many say similar so I'm sure it will be great.

So excited!

32psi. Will go for that!

How do you quantify warm tyres. I usually drive the car gentle until it's got 75°c oil temp anyway. As I dont have a built bottom end I'm just trying to be an gentle as I can.

Sadly wheel size reduction is not an option. Built by arches around the wheels I personally built. So I need to just do the best I can with the current diameter.

I find what you say interesting though and I'm certain it's the wall height rather than tyre diameter that influences that situation.

Though that alsonsuitsnmy desired outcome I know the wall height makes a big impact.

Hopefully my improved compound will he enough to satisfy the issues in having.

I find what you say interesting though and I'm certain it's the wall height rather than tyre diameter that influences that situation.

You have been a member on here long enough to know what does and what doesn't work with regards to putting the power down. But you keep telling yourself that if it makes you sleep better at night :p