Noz

Do your Supra headlights fog up / condensation  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do your Supra headlights fog up / condensation

• All the time
    • Sometimes when it rains or wash the car
    • Rarely, minor
    • Never have a problem

I get the odd occasion. I'm going to start researching and developing a solution for this.

As even with brand new seals I've not sussed how to resolve it.

I've sealed every joint. I've left some joints open (rear projector rubbers). Added filters. Removed filters. Theres no one thing that sorts it.

I presumed disturbing the rear rubber seals may be the cause. Or the fog light o ring. Sealing everything can sometimes help but not resolve completely.

Would anyone else be interest in a plug and play kit that resolves this.

It will likely be air flow related with pumps and humidity sensor through the top plug to trigger operation. I'm currently looking into low powered mini vacuum pump (low cost) to see if I would be able to control the condensation.

If I can sort this issue it would be an amazing light bulb moment.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

mine would get a little foggy after a wash, or when in rain.

im not sure if i would buy a kit to get rid of the fog, it also depends on how much it fogs up, but i would have to see the kit/solution before making a decision. if its to much of a hassle to do, i probably just would live with it.

the headlights should not fog up in the first place, but maybe its a design flaw with the headlights.

Edited by Alex G (see edit history)

Could be:

1. Rubber grommet around light bulb is leaking (loose,broken, cut etc)

2. Wrong size bulb: o-ring not seal to bulb housing

3. Housing "breather" loose, broken, cut, wrong direction etc

4. Housings are opened (painted etc) and not properly sealed

Just a quick thought: since housing (when bulbs in place) should be quite sealed construction exept breather, i would try with air compressor ([low pressure) to put air in from breather and check where it leaks. If steam inside, water is getting in from somewhere

Edited by kaahari (see edit history)

I've never had this issue on my car, but for astronomy we use resistive heating elements to prevent fog forming on the lenses. These work by warming the glass to a fraction above ambient temperature so condensation can't form. Obviously not as good as getting the humidity out of the headlights altogether, but would something similar work as a simple solution?

e.g. here using nichrome wire http://www.deep-sky.co.uk/telescopemaking/tm16.htm