The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should i have swopped?

herbiemercman

Hello Dudes, I was in my local pub today and a guy admired my car and commented that he had seen it rocket up the hill outside the pub.

He used to be the local milk man and had a lovely local girl, 20 years younger that used to work for him.

His brother died and left him the wealth of him selling six Kentucky Fried Chicken places, £5M.

So he soon married the young girl who worked for for him and bought fancy cars.

Yesterday i parked my car outside the pub in front of his 2015 plate white Range Rover Sport, it looked great.

I went in the pub and he said how are you doing? he knows my brother and i build nursing homes, i said ok and i like your car, he replied, i will swop you for yours. I laught and he retorted, i am serious, i love those cars and i have since i had nothing.

I asked him what his car was worth and he replied circa £30K, and has only 45K on the clock, it is white and has all the "bells and whistles" on it.

He was serious and i had to explain that my car was sort of part of me, owned it from new and nurtured it as well as a recent power out put and aesthetic additions etc. He said it looks great and sounds great and he appreciated the time and money i had put into it.

I have an agreed value with "Adrian Flux" at £21K so my question is, would you have done the swop? because i would not. ! Herbie.

20160224_141959.jpg (673.7 KB)

20160224_141959.jpg

Don't be silly. That Range Rover will be worth £10k in three years time and £5k in another three. Your Supra won't lose anything like £20k in value over the next six years.

I bought a TDV8 L322 Vogue 2 years ago for 8% of its new price. Lovely drive, no issues just expensive to road tax and fuel. If anyone wants a Range Rover buy an older one then throw it away when it breaks.

Don't be silly. That Range Rover will be worth £10k in three years time and £5k in another three. Your Supra won't lose anything like £20k in value over the next six years.

I bought a TDV8 L322 Vogue 2 years ago for 8% of its new price. Lovely drive, no issues just expensive to road tax and fuel. If anyone wants a Range Rover buy an older one then throw it away when it breaks.

That I don't understand as they stopped selling the L322 in 2013 so how can you have bought a new one 2 years ago I own a 2015 vogue and that is the L405 which is the sdv8

I know the sentiment side of it but on the other hand you could easily sell the range rover for 30k, buy another na-t/tt auto for 15k, plunge remaining cash into it and make it something super special, I mean 30k would get you a very clean tt6, possibly even a uk tt6.

Question you have to ask yourself is.. if a forum member offered you a uk tt6 in vgc for a straight swap for your na5-t, would you take it?

I am half Scottish on my mother's side so like my two brothers i should have taken the RR, but if you have owned an materialistic item for 22 years from new it becomes an "Item" in your life, may be this is nonsense to non petrol heads like me, also my brothers have RR's, as well as my son-in-law in London, BUT they all like my car, especially now that at 450 BHP it can see them off, i sit in a well designed cock pit and my car is much lower down, more aerodynamic and lighter.

I have a big Merc. 7 seater Elegance est, car, real limo,and 285 BHP auto, AMG.this provides a different way of travel, had it from new cost £51K, i do not need a RR, also all the family do not own their RR's they are rented, that's not me. I like the cars i own and look after them this is part of my pleasure, im am not for trading up or down, i do not need it, and the guy with the white RR knows it. Herbie.

thats a very personal thing. i would never swap as im not into SUV's, and because of what Supras mean to me. the Range Rover wont be sought after either when it gets older. i have also heard that the quality of Range Rovers is not as good as it once were.