The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New-bee!

R34Ben

Hi guys thought I’d say hello as I’m hoping to gather plenty of info from the seasoned veterans here. I’m a complete newb to the Supra scene but have always admired from afar.

Go easy on me as I have come over from the Skyline world and wish to build/buy my ideal Supra TT. I’m very used to the RB engine and its ‘quirks’ but would like to experience the 2JZ now.

I am looking at building one up from either a pre-loved example or even from a bare shell. So any pointers as to where I should look for to buy parts etc, please feel free to mention.

Regards

Ben

Welcome Ben, some parts are becoming rare and/or expensive.

I think if you are after a stock looking car you'd be best served getting one with all the bumpers etc intact.

Prices have hiked a lot in recent years, but not to R34 levels so perhaps it'll seem cheap to you!?

Best of luck with the initial search.

Your about 10 years to late to enjoy building a shell. Parts have rocketed in value. All the little clips and brackets youd want new from toyota have mostly been discontinued. And used parts are quite hard to come by in the condition youd want/ availability. Its doable but will be stupidly expensive if you want a nice condition car. My advice is look for a complete supra to clean up

It'd be very expensive to build a Supra from Supra parts these days.

If you can find a good shell then you'd be best looking to an Aristo donor car that ran a similar drive train and a LS300 donor car that used common sub frame and similar suspension parts and a BMW manual gearbox if you prefer that to an Auto. Then you could end up with something that looks like a Supra, drives almost like a Supra but wouldn't be as valuable as a Supra. You'd almost be better just buying a Supra as NA Auto prices aren't that far off a good rolling shell price these days. Then you could sell the bits you don't want to put towards buying the donor cars or parts you do want. Forget a shell build.

Welcome Ben, some parts are becoming rare and/or expensive.

I think if you are after a stock looking car you'd be best served getting one with all the bumpers etc intact.

Prices have hiked a lot in recent years, but not to R34 levels so perhaps it'll seem cheap to you!?

Best of luck with the initial search.

Thanks for the advice, yes most classic Jap cars are heading this way. Which is good news for many but for the people that want to actually own/drive the cars it’s proving quite difficult. But definitely not cheap.

Your about 10 years to late to enjoy building a shell. Parts have rocketed in value. All the little clips and brackets youd want new from toyota have mostly been discontinued. And used parts are quite hard to come by in the condition youd want/ availability. Its doable but will be stupidly expensive if you want a nice condition car. My advice is look for a complete supra to clean up

Thanks for that, I thought it may have been cheaper to build but looking at buying parts separately could become a head ache.

It'd be very expensive to build a Supra from Supra parts these days.

If you can find a good shell then you'd be best looking to an Aristo donor car that ran a similar drive train and a LS300 donor car that used common sub frame and similar suspension parts and a BMW manual gearbox if you prefer that to an Auto. Then you could end up with something that looks like a Supra, drives almost like a Supra but wouldn't be as valuable as a Supra. You'd almost be better just buying a Supra as NA Auto prices aren't that far off a good rolling shell price these days. Then you could sell the bits you don't want to put towards buying the donor cars or parts you do want. Forget a shell build.

I think you could be right.

As above don't underestimate the cost of building one now, so many pirates out there offering parts at crazy prices, you'll be best to buy a complete car and tidy it. But not at 2k :D

But one thing is sure, you won't have to build the engine every 5 minutes lol

Do I sense a little dig at the mighty RB? :D think you could be right about finding a complete car.

(Just to add, in the 10 years of Skyline ownership I only required one rebuild so not too shabby lol)

Welcome. Where in Hampshire are you from

Hi! I’m based in Southampton.

:hello: good luck!

Thanks!

Hello and welcome.

I came from skylines as well. Supra is so much better :D

Hope you find the right car for you :)

Thanks mate...but I think it’s just the engine that’s better lol