Thread: New-bee!

I'm a newbie
    Feedback

New-bee!

Hi guys thought Id say hello as Im hoping to gather plenty of info from the seasoned veterans here. Im a complete newb to the Supra scene but have always admired from afar.
    Go easy on me as I have come over from the Skyline world and wish to build/buy my ideal Supra TT. Im very used to the RB engine and its quirks but would like to experience the 2JZ now.
    I am looking at building one up from either a pre-loved example or even from a bare shell. So any pointers as to where I should look for to buy parts etc, please feel free to mention.

Regards

Ben

I'm addicted now! Club Member
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Welcome to the fold Ben, you won’t go wrong on here buddy.

All the best with Supra ownership I’ve got somebody coming to view my shell tonight so you can buy rolling shells (projects) just keep your eye out.
    It's nice to be important...But it's more important to be nice!!

I'm a newbie
    Feedback
    Thanks drew. Hope you don’t mind me asking, but on average what does a good condition shell go for?

I'm addicted now! Club Member
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Not a problem bud and There are a good few contributing factors Ben. But anything from 2k to 6k really.

Kind regards,

Drew.
    It's nice to be important...But it's more important to be nice!!

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    Welcome Ben, some parts are becoming rare and/or expensive.

I think if you are after a stock looking car you'd be best served getting one with all the bumpers etc intact.

Prices have hiked a lot in recent years, but not to R34 levels so perhaps it'll seem cheap to you!?

Best of luck with the initial search.
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Posting is my life! Club Member evinX's Avatar
    Feedback
    29 (100%)
    Your about 10 years to late to enjoy building a shell. Parts have rocketed in value. All the little clips and brackets youd want new from toyota have mostly been discontinued. And used parts are quite hard to come by in the condition youd want/ availability. Its doable but will be stupidly expensive if you want a nice condition car. My advice is look for a complete supra to clean up

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    It'd be very expensive to build a Supra from Supra parts these days.

If you can find a good shell then you'd be best looking to an Aristo donor car that ran a similar drive train and a LS300 donor car that used common sub frame and similar suspension parts and a BMW manual gearbox if you prefer that to an Auto. Then you could end up with something that looks like a Supra, drives almost like a Supra but wouldn't be as valuable as a Supra. You'd almost be better just buying a Supra as NA Auto prices aren't that far off a good rolling shell price these days. Then you could sell the bits you don't want to put towards buying the donor cars or parts you do want. Forget a shell build.

Do Luck owning Club Member Swampy442's Avatar
    Feedback
    51 (100%)
    As above don't underestimate the cost of building one now, so many pirates out there offering parts at crazy prices, you'll be best to buy a complete car and tidy it. But not at 2k

But one thing is sure, you won't have to build the engine every 5 minutes lol
    I would gladly pay you 10 to never log onto this forum again, and I am serious. Scott M

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    I did terrible things to girls I had only just met, and they loved it.

Work... what work? Club Member tayr's Avatar
    Feedback
    Welcome. Where in Hampshire are you from

Me? Post? Never! Club Member Annabella's Avatar
    Feedback
    good luck!

Hardcore medallion man Club Member markssupra's Avatar
    Feedback
    11 (100%)
    Welcome
    My HKS GT 2835 Big Twins AeroTop project
    "ere, do you reckon we could gatecrash that spit roast over there!"
    quote Lee S, JAE 2008

Precision Industrial Cutting Tools for Metals, Metal Matrix Composites, Composite materials and Wood
    GZ TT Aerotop BPU. 313 RWHP. Engine Advantages 30/03/08, soon to be HKS Big twins
    GZ TT Aero R.I.P. 2004

Chair cover hire for weddings or occasions

What search button? Club Member ben_harmer32's Avatar
    Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Hello and welcome.

I came from skylines as well. Supra is so much better

Hope you find the right car for you
    1st Supra = N/A Manual (Silver) - Killed by a drunk drivier - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...-s-first-supra
    2nd Supra = Facelift TT auto (White) - Sold - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...s-Second-Supra
    3rd Supra = TT Auto Aerotop (Silver) - Sold - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...en-s-3rd-Supra
    4th Supra = N/A Auto Aerotop Fast and Furious Replica (Orange) - Sold - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...rious-Replica)
    5th Supra = TT Auto (Silver) - Current toy - http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...1-My-5th-Supra

PLEASE READ

I'm a newbie
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Welcome Ben, some parts are becoming rare and/or expensive.

I think if you are after a stock looking car you'd be best served getting one with all the bumpers etc intact.

Prices have hiked a lot in recent years, but not to R34 levels so perhaps it'll seem cheap to you!?

Best of luck with the initial search.
    Thanks for the advice, yes most classic Jap cars are heading this way. Which is good news for many but for the people that want to actually own/drive the cars it’s proving quite difficult. But definitely not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by evinX View Post
    Your about 10 years to late to enjoy building a shell. Parts have rocketed in value. All the little clips and brackets youd want new from toyota have mostly been discontinued. And used parts are quite hard to come by in the condition youd want/ availability. Its doable but will be stupidly expensive if you want a nice condition car. My advice is look for a complete supra to clean up
    Thanks for that, I thought it may have been cheaper to build but looking at buying parts separately could become a head ache.

Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    It'd be very expensive to build a Supra from Supra parts these days.

If you can find a good shell then you'd be best looking to an Aristo donor car that ran a similar drive train and a LS300 donor car that used common sub frame and similar suspension parts and a BMW manual gearbox if you prefer that to an Auto. Then you could end up with something that looks like a Supra, drives almost like a Supra but wouldn't be as valuable as a Supra. You'd almost be better just buying a Supra as NA Auto prices aren't that far off a good rolling shell price these days. Then you could sell the bits you don't want to put towards buying the donor cars or parts you do want. Forget a shell build.
    I think you could be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy442 View Post
    As above don't underestimate the cost of building one now, so many pirates out there offering parts at crazy prices, you'll be best to buy a complete car and tidy it. But not at 2k

But one thing is sure, you won't have to build the engine every 5 minutes lol
    Do I sense a little dig at the mighty RB? think you could be right about finding a complete car.
    (Just to add, in the 10 years of Skyline ownership I only required one rebuild so not too shabby lol)

Quote Originally Posted by tayr View Post
    Welcome. Where in Hampshire are you from
    Hi! I’m based in Southampton.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    good luck!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ben_harmer32 View Post
    Hello and welcome.

I came from skylines as well. Supra is so much better

Hope you find the right car for you
    Thanks mate...but I think it’s just the engine that’s better lol

Do Luck owning Club Member Swampy442's Avatar
    Feedback
    51 (100%)
    Im all my years of JZ ownership (Since 1999 on and off) zero rebuilds. RB ownership for a year, 2
    I would gladly pay you 10 to never log onto this forum again, and I am serious. Scott M

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    I did terrible things to girls I had only just met, and they loved it.

I'm a newbie
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampy442 View Post
    Im all my years of JZ ownership (Since 1999 on and off) zero rebuilds. RB ownership for a year, 2
    Wow, you must really know a lot about cars to have picked that one