The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I Guess I'll Stop Lurking Here's Where I Am At

Gingerholo

I would suggest having the pictures open as you read, as its a journey

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aTm-Mb8jcQYH_qi4A0rJcXw3g8pfpARM?usp=sharing

I've decided to come out of hiding and embrace the fact that i've been utilizing this wonderful resource without giving anything back. I'm 23yrs old stationed overseas near Tokyo Japan, February 2018 i acquired a 1994 N/A manual JZA80 for ~$8,000(USD). Since then I makes me sad to admit that i have done hardly anything to it and it currently is not driveable, nor has it been due to my own machinations for about seven months now. I've recently seriously punished myself for not doing anything. I cant figure out how to reduce all my pictures sizes so im just going to put a link to an open Google File that anyone can view but no one can edit. I dont have a ridiculous amount of automotive experience however i have the drive to learn and i believe almost anything can be DIY'd, should it, sometimes no, but YouTube is a wonderful resource.

The first thing i did was remove the ugliest fin in the world off Lilith (her name). Along with removing the Goodyear "thing" and getting some secondhand 17's and .5" spacers, next was rotors, i had some really bad braking problems when i first drove it, but decided i could fix that pretty easily as bleeding would be the only "complicated" part. My experience in creating a japanese account and ordering rotors taught me to just ask someone to buy stuff for you. as even though the rotors i purchased (slotted Dixcels) were meant for the NA, they were wrongly advertised and i now have a set of rotors for a turbo'd model. great right? ugh. this really frustrated me because i paid an unnecessary premium for them and i took a step back. so i bought black ones off amazon! great decision right? i got concerned as i learned shortly after that the products there do not typically fit, let alone them fitting the RHD JDM version of the JZA80. so i'm sitting next to Lilith and i say, "screw it, i can at least find out if the calipers will fit. they did, they were beautiful.

Notice the were? Ha.... Ha... i took a huge step forward in appearance and a great step in the fight against rust.... oh the rust. my entire front subframe crossmember was bendable... with my hands. How else do you find parts in japan besides Yahoo Auctions though? i got Extremely lucky and obtained an entire front subframe assembly complete with stock coilovers, upper and lower control arms, and the bonus! the OEM calipers with the word "Supra" on them, super excited i bought the frame and its accessories for ~$600 including shipping. Two days later it arrived and i realized. I'm in trouble. That was six months ago. I'll admit it, i was lazy, i used the excuses "its too hot outside, the car is black, i dont wanna passout" and many other convenient situations to prevent me from doing it like "i need another person to move it". You know what it took for me to change it? One day of leave on a Friday, and a really pissed off attitude. In 6 hrs the new subframe was attached. seven or so days later, i replaced the hardware holding the subframe up with new hardware straight from Toyota (cost me about $50 after conversion). That was about a month ago. I wouldn't say no progress has been made since then as i have been cleaning old hardware and compiling part numbers for what i need to order to replace rusted beyond repair, or thread damaged nuts and bolts. Along with cleaning all the splash guards with PD-680 and applying a new coat of paint to them all. I'm prepping for putting the engine bay back together and filling all my fluids back up. I've repalced four Spark plugs with NGK 7090 platinums. With 4 more on the way as amazon sucks having an APO overseas is nice but stuff takes longer to arrive. While there are many other plans for this baby girl, my main priority is to get it JCI'd as its not legal to drive currently and it makes me extremely sad to see her covered all the time. If anyone has an OEM downpipe with the CAT laying around, let me know if you're willing to part with it, as they are very expensive and im willing to pay anything toyota doesn't want for it...lol