The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Supra standalone query?

Shaleskin

Evening all!

I've currently got an emanage ultimate as a piggyback on my car and it's causing me grief that I just want rid of it. I've seen there's some ECU's which can be used for controlling the auto box which seem to be £2k+, little steep for me unfortunately. Is there a way to use a standalone ecu like the ECU master black with the auto ecu still in place to control the autobox, effectively just removing the engines standard ECU?

Is this possible or has anyone done something similar?

Cheers :)

From what I have seen the link plug in does not support the auto box.said it does in title but reading spec didn't might have been a typo though.

OP

I have heard the aem v2 destroys boxes as it does have a soft gear change capabilities this was some time ago they may have updated the software best to check on the aem forum.

I hear alot of problems getting the autobox to run right with the standalones also best would be to go with one that's been fitted and proven many times so the issues in mapping can be ironed out. But I'm a single auto running a piggy it's easy just to let the piggy control the engine and stock control.the box will save you a alot of cash and grief

- - - Updated - - -

From what I have seen the link plug in does not support the auto box.said it does in title but reading spec didn't might have been a typo though.

OP

I have heard the aem v2 destroys boxes as it does have a soft gear change capabilities this was some time ago they may have updated the software best to check on the aem forum.

I hear alot of problems getting the autobox to run right with the standalones also best would be to go with one that's been fitted and proven many times so the issues in mapping can be ironed out. But I'm a single auto running a piggy it's easy just to let the piggy control the engine and stock control.the box will save you a alot of cash and grief

I believe the aem v2 stand-alone can control the auto box.

I've heard this to be the case but not sure if it still suffers with the way it changes gear?

What you're describing is piggybacking, an ECU to control some engine functions but leaving the rest in place. Never heard of ECU master, but I do know you get what you pay for. Can get a Link plug in for less than 1500 quid, a great spec ECU for the money.

Just had a look and seen the Link G4+ on Garage whifbitz site for a price I could do if it would work with the autobox. Anyone using this on their auto's?

OP

[

If you don't mind me asking, what piggy are you using and do you have hot start or other issues?

Thanks guys. :)

Evening all!

I've currently got an emanage ultimate as a piggyback on my car and it's causing me grief that I just want rid of it. I've seen there's some ECU's which can be used for controlling the auto box which seem to be £2k+, little steep for me unfortunately. Is there a way to use a standalone ecu like the ECU master black with the auto ecu still in place to control the autobox, effectively just removing the engines standard ECU?

Is this possible or has anyone done something similar?

Cheers :)

We normally fit a Link G4 Storm as a piggy back leaving the stock ecu controlling the gearbox, so its effectively stand alone apart from the gearbox control. We can do the Ecumaster Black like this now, we've just started fitting them. But they do need hardwiring in so its time consuming to fit, about 3k by the time you buy the ecu, sensors, labour to fit and map.

I've heard this to be the case but not sure if it still suffers with the way it changes gear?

Just had a look and seen the Link G4+ on Garage whifbitz site for a price I could do if it would work with the autobox. Anyone using this on their auto's?

If you don't mind me asking, what piggy are you using and do you have hot start or other issues?

Thanks guys. :)

I have a fic 8 which is a simple piggy back the only issue I have is if the car is left for half hour to a hour and had time to cool after a run upto temp it sometimes coughs and splutters on the first start attempt and then start straight up next time. I could correct this by adjusting my map but its not that much of a problem.

what problems are you having with the ultimate ? is there a forum for the ecu ? I know that my piggy had a mapping problem that 3 well know mappers did not fix but took me a couple of hours research on the aem forum to find the issue cause and resolve it with a firmware upgrade for fuel strategy.

We normally fit a Link G4 Storm as a piggy back leaving the stock ecu controlling the gearbox, so its effectively stand alone apart from the gearbox control. We can do the Ecumaster Black like this now, we've just started fitting them. But they do need hardwiring in so its time consuming to fit, about 3k by the time you buy the ecu, sensors, labour to fit and map.

If you don't mind me asking, with the link G4 setup you do, is it as simple as plugging the ecu in and then a few wires need to be relocated a bit like how the emanage ultimate is setup or is it a little more involved? I'm desperate to get away from the emanage now. I'm comfortable doing the wiring if needed but just wanting an idea of what needs to be done with it. :)

what problems are you having with the ultimate ? is there a forum for the ecu ? I know that my piggy had a mapping problem that 3 well know mappers did not fix but took me a couple of hours research on the aem forum to find the issue cause and resolve it with a firmware upgrade for fuel strategy.

I've been doing research for so long now on it i'd rather have something a little solid. One issue is the hot start isn't consistent even if I apply the trick that Ian_C did years ago to create a column in the airflow table to read 500rpms and lower, to add fuel to compensate. Without changing anything some days it's fine, others it just keeps cranking.

Other strange one is from cold, you start to pootle off and the AFR's start a little rich which is fine, then starts going leaner and leaner until it wants to stall and is >19 afr. Once it's warmed up a little and it runs fine. I'd like to go with bigger injectors than my current 650cc and with the emu is being I'd like to work with something with more options and a more reliable unit. /rant over haha

If you don't mind me asking, with the link G4 setup you do, is it as simple as plugging the ecu in and then a few wires need to be relocated a bit like how the emanage ultimate is setup or is it a little more involved? I'm desperate to get away from the emanage now. I'm comfortable doing the wiring if needed but just wanting an idea of what needs to be done with it. :)

No, its much more involved than that, for an extra cost we can supply a wiring diagram with it though or even better a pre terminated wiring loom which you would need to then wire into the ecu loom.