The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension Bushes

Brian_C1

Hi all, I have my car booked in for an underneath restoration beginning of November and I'm starting to gather bits for the job.

I know there's various threads across the forum and I'm hoping my ball joints on the arms are in good condition (I'll reassess when they are removed during the process) but for now I plan to just do all the bushes on the arms and everywhere else underneath and the place doing the job will vapour blast all the arms and metal work underneath.

I'm basically looking for a full list of bushes required underneath the car for full refurb both front and rear, OEM Toyota numbers if possible and OE quality parts if not available or are hugely expensive. I know Febest do some bushes for the rear of the car but is there anyone else or a one stop shop for them.

I'm not going down the road of poly bushes, I'd rather OEM rubber or a good quality OE alternative rubber.

TIA,

Brian.

Edited by Brian_C1 (see edit history)

May i ask why no to poly? I used them on mine and never looked back

https://www.strongflex.eu/en/supra-iv-93-02/1650-216228b-full-suspension-bush-kit-5902553522419.html

I also used the same company for my rack bushes

I'm not totally against using them but from reading on the forum some users say they wore out very quick

I'm also not too keen on all the bright colours, I'd be more interested in black poly-bushes if I went down that road.

Mines been on 2 years ish. They where a massive difference, but then any update on 25 year old bushes would be. Can’t say a bad word against them. I never really thought about the colour I figured they where under the car anyway. I don’t drive hard by any means but my car is pushing 400 bhp again I have no complaints.

I’m unsure of the price difference with oem

You are talking a lot of money to replace all the bushes and you need to replace all the frame bushes, arms, links, shocks, wheel bearings and bars to restore a car to ride as it would have when it first left the factory floor. I did all that with my car and spent over £9k on parts and £11k in total with a good whack just on the OE bushes and arms when actually the only parts I found well past their best were the rear anti-roll bar badly worn and the rear diff onto frame bushes spongy. Its got to be best to just replace these kind of parts as needed, otherwise where do you stop - probably somewhere way past just replacing bushes?

I probably have some lists I sent off with part numbers when I was seeking out quotes so if you do decide to go ahead I can look those out. They won't include things like arm bushes though as I just went for new arms and as far as I am aware Toyota never supplied those bushes separate from the arms anyway.

Mines been on 2 years ish. They where a massive difference, but then any update on 25 year old bushes would be. Can’t say a bad word against them. I never really thought about the colour I figured they where under the car anyway. I don’t drive hard by any means but my car is pushing 400 bhp again I have no complaints.

I’m unsure of the price difference with oem

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear some positive feedback as its an option if the search for a full compliment of rubber bushes fails

I am not a fan of the coloured bushes (purely aesthetically) but are all the oem ones still available from toyota?

Also aren’t the black poly bushes hard or for track use?

alot of them are I believe from the likes of AMAYAMA and the ones that aren't were never offered like the bushes in the arms. I'm the same, if I'm going to the trouble of doing the work I'd rather it looked OEM, as the rest of the car is OEM.

I'm not sure there are any separate standard bushes, the GS300/aristo had a few but I think the supra they were all integral to the arms?
Yep supra suspension arm bushes were built into the arm so those ones won't be available but any other bushing underneath they stocked at some point

You are talking a lot of money to replace all the bushes and you need to replace all the frame bushes, arms, links, shocks, wheel bearings and bars to restore a car to ride as it would have when it first left the factory floor. I did all that with my car and spent over £9k on parts and £11k in total with a good whack just on the OE bushes and arms when actually the only parts I found well past their best were the rear anti-roll bar badly worn and the rear diff onto frame bushes spongy. Its got to be best to just replace these kind of parts as needed, otherwise where do you stop - probably somewhere way past just replacing bushes?

I probably have some lists I sent off with part numbers when I was seeking out quotes so if you do decide to go ahead I can look those out. They won't include things like arm bushes though as I just went for new arms and as far as I am aware Toyota never supplied those bushes separate from the arms anyway.

I don't plan to replace my arms if the ball joints are in good condition won't know until they are stripped and checked but I plan to replace any bushes or other suspension components I can including the bushes in those arms if I can find a set of rubber ones. Andrew Vlamos in Australia used to do an excellent full set of rubber bushes for around $1000AUD which is reasonably, some bushes were interchangeable with a Soarer.

Sheefa (Greg) sold a set of the arms in the last 12mnths iirc which listed all those part numbers if you search the for sale section

/QUOTE]

I'll check that out thanks!

OEM/Pattern parts, numbers and prices when I was doing my underside a couple years back. Prices have likely crept up a little since

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=215848&stc=1&d=1479899480

Very good list thanks for that, I'll definitely use it for the bits outside of the arms and order up those from the cheapest places I can find now.

https://www.strongflex.eu/en/content/6-red-or-yellow

They do offer black but its stiffer and costs more.

Yeah I seen that alright, but won't be going with stiffer than road versions, I have a feeling majority of black Bush kits are a stiffer version to the road kits, unless somewhere has an 80SHA hardness black version which I don't see why isn't possible as you can buy polyurethane products ranging from flexible rubber to stiff bushes in black

Looking at the OE Parts Diagrams they do not list the OE arm bushes, rear strut bar bushes separate, you need to purchase the whole arm/strut bar ; TRD did do bushes separate but it was eye watering money for some of them ; all discontinued -- give you an idea poly bush equivalent was 90 gbp , TRD I was quoted 400 gbp

I got the last set of TRD rear subframe bushes, and rear strut bar for reasonable outlay, 100 gbp but you can buy the OE Subframe rears and the Differential mounts

Due to this I got all new arms, diff mounts , rear subframe bush mounts, 3 years ago, to replace the balljoints , you need to buy the whole arm!! ; later I had the SuperPro Poly bush put in the lower fronts with offset sleeves, to give me extra camber adjustment; ride quality , noise , i did not notice any changes

The lower rear arms are discontinued , I got the last set from a dusty warehouse in Saudi ; these where at the time , the most difficult to source

I would not recommend any solid diff, subframe mounts; it will rattle the fillings out of your teeth

Whiteline do a black bush , for road use; I did hear the myth poly bushes do not last on the road , I think its just that, hearsay

https://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.php?make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&model_final=SUPRA+JZA80&vehicle=1%2F1993-2002

Looking at the OE Parts Diagrams they do not list the OE arm bushes, rear strut bar bushes separate, you need to purchase the whole arm/strut bar ; TRD did do bushes separate but it was eye watering money for some of them ; all discontinued -- give you an idea poly bush equivalent was 90 gbp , TRD I was quoted 400 gbp

I got the last set of TRD rear subframe bushes, and rear strut bar for reasonable outlay, 100 gbp but you can buy the OE Subframe rears and the Differential mounts

Due to this I got all new arms, diff mounts , rear subframe bush mounts, 3 years ago, to replace the balljoints , you need to buy the whole arm!! ; later I had the SuperPro Poly bush put in the lower fronts with offset sleeves, to give me extra camber adjustment; ride quality , noise , i did not notice any changes

The lower rear arms are discontinued , I got the last set from a dusty warehouse in Saudi ; these where at the time , the most difficult to source

I would not recommend any solid diff, subframe mounts; it will rattle the fillings out of your teeth

Whiteline do a black bush , for road use; I did hear the myth poly bushes do not last on the road , I think its just that, hearsay

https://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.php?make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&model_final=SUPRA+JZA80&vehicle=1%2F1993-2002

Yep Toyota never done standard non-TRD replacements. Although Febest make replacements for the some of the arms, the Soarer also has the same bushes so they can be used in places if Febest don't explicitly say they have Supra bushes.

I've one last idea on getting original Toyota parts so I'll see what comes of that, if not I'll probably buy what rubber bushes I can and see whats left to replace and make a decision on black poly bushes for those.

E2A: On the lower rear arms, what is the difference between the pre-facelift and the facelift, as the facelift ones are still available. Also the front upper arms seem to be the same, prefacelift discontinued but facelift still available

Edited by Brian_C1 (see edit history)