The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone got a Tesla

jackso11

Piece of junk I know i someone that went back to a bmw 530d i personally have been in a few and the build quality is poor plus I dont care what anyone says it will never be as cheap as running a diesel over a long term period if you included purchase price then price of batteries plus eventually you will get stung for charging it
Re the build quality it is questionable but on the savings I couldn't disagree more. It will be FAR cheaper over the long term. I fill up my 335d twice a week that's £150 in fuel so £600 a month. I also pay around £250 tax a year.

The full Tesla charge at home is around £10 and Superchargers for better models like the S are free depending on reg date etc.

My monthly payments (now paid off) on the BMW were £483 a month for a brand new £43k car.

So add that into the fuel, insurance, tax and servicing (which servicing averages £600 per annum) and the numbers are quite obvious. That's taking into getting a brand new Tesla 3 basic model let alone a second hand one.

Re the build quality it is questionable but on the savings I couldn't disagree more. It will be FAR cheaper over the long term. I fill up my 335d twice a week that's £150 in fuel so £600 a month. I also pay around £250 tax a year.

The full Tesla charge at home is around £10 and Superchargers for better models like the S are free depending on reg date etc.

My monthly payments (now paid off) on the BMW were £483 a month for a brand new £43k car.

So add that into the fuel, insurance, tax and servicing (which servicing averages £600 per annum) and the numbers are quite obvious. That's taking into getting a brand new Tesla 3 basic model let alone a second hand one.

/QUOTE]

You do a fair bit of driving per week mate

Piece of junk I know i someone that went back to a bmw 530d i personally have been in a few and the build quality is poor plus I dont care what anyone says it will never be as cheap as running a diesel over a long term period if you included purchase price then price of batteries plus eventually you will get stung for charging it

Never be as cheap as running a diesel? I’m afraid that statement just reminds me of my grandad saying computers will never catch on. There is absolutely no angle you can look at it that makes a diesel a cheaper option, no way at all. Even if you say you don’t do many miles. Just take it on a single journey cost, £10 for the fuel for the Tesla and £80 for the fuel for the diesel, lease costs or monthly payment if you bought the car will be about the same, tax and maintenance on the diesel more....

/QUOTE]

You are not looking at the big picture as I said you also need to include purchase price how much is a tesla easy 80 grand, plus I also mentioned that one day they are going to charge you a lot more for that electric your putting in

You are not looking at the big picture as I said you also need to include purchase price how much is a tesla easy 80 grand, plus I also mentioned that one day they are going to charge you a lot more for that electric your putting in
Haha you don't have a clue. Work out basic maths on a Tesla 3 as I stated before then come back to me with better response.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

Ok so you can now get a tesla 3 for 35 grand its still a piece of junk and I ain't convinced you can keep your milk float
Haha so you're argument has gone to absolute pot yeah?

Tesla 3 is supposed to compete with Exec Performance Saloons at yes a higher price range. If the Tesla 3 was available back in 2016 I would of bought that with most of the trimmings for £43k and would be quids in now.

So you're argument is flawed. We're not talking about buying a Micra or a shitty daily. Like for like it's a no-brainer and a FAR better cost effective option. Hell the Tesla 3 Performance version wiped the floor of an M3 on every test (track, drag, reliability) except for drifting.

I haven't got one mate but I am seriously thinking of changing that's all and I've done plenty of research.

Haha so you're argument has gone to absolute pot yeah?

Tesla 3 is supposed to compete with Exec Performance Saloons at yes a higher price range. If the Tesla 3 was available back in 2016 I would of bought that with most of the trimmings for £43k and would be quids in now.

So you're argument is flawed. We're not talking about buying a Micra or a $#@!ty daily. Like for like it's a no-brainer and a FAR better cost effective option. Hell the Tesla 3 Performance version wiped the floor of an M3 on every test (track, drag, reliability) except for drifting.

I haven't got one mate but I am seriously thinking of changing that's all and I've done plenty of research.

/QUOTE]

I dont think my argument is flawed at all it's just I refuse to believe that electric cars are the answer and its annoying to me when people dont look at the big picture how these car are made for example all the products used to make this car are using equipment that will be using oil to make power in order to manufacture this car.

Then you have the problem of recycling batteries and as we all know when they go on fire there still on fire three days later, plus as I mentioned before that electric your using one day will get just as expensive as fuel where do you think the electric comes from.

Dont get me wrong it would be good for the environment for cleaner emissions but electric cars ain't the answer

And yes I do know something about this as I work in the oil industry in power generation

I’m looking forward to buying one one day and being able to summon it from home to pick me up if I’ve been out etc.

Plus they are talking about registering them as part of an autonomous taxi network so it could be out working for you while you are in bed. Don’t fancy doing the school run in it the next morning after it’s been out the night before running about god knows who though, but the technology will throw up some interesting new things. (A bit like it’s customers :) )

I’ve noticed the fire risk thing though.

They seem to be extremely hard to extinguish once on fire. I think it’s due to battery cells continuing to individually rupture due to the heat the store. I’ve heard they can take hours and hours and the only real way to be sure is to fully submerge them in water (like the fire brigade used to do to cool down acetylene cylinders)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following electric cars market with interest, as I said few years back, that if range will go over 300 miles I'll consider buying one. More and more cars are getting close to this range, plus new inventions like HET engine (https://newatlas.com/linear-labs-hunstable-electric-motor/60974/) making it even more inetersting. Add incoming solid batteries era and soon we will see cars with range of 1000 miles on quick 15-20 min charge. I personally have a weak spot to new Honda EV as a city runaround :)