The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone got a Tesla

jackso11

Has anyone on here got a Tesla? We have had lots of them in for repairs at Autodoc and as all the owners agree the build quality is terrible, panel gaps all over the place, factory paint cloudy as anything, plastics very flimsy....but....we respect customers cars so have never driven one further than in and out of the car park/workshop. Today Enterprise rent a car have us one to repair and said take it out for a drive. Many of our customers say take their cars out, usually when they are proud to have something quick like a C63, McLaren, High spec single supra etc....but I never take them out as I always think what would happen if something went wrong when I was behind the wheel. However, as this was a rental i drove it back to the rental shop.....I put my foot down to see if these cars really are all they are hyped up to be.......JESUS CHRIST THESE THINGS ARE FAST!!!!! I have done a lot of track days in high end cars but this was unreal! 0-60 is supposedly 2.1 seconds and it really feels like it. Also I read Musk has said with the next update the car will then do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds!!!

We spend thousands on our cars to give them horse power and waive the turbo lag, Tesla’s are instant power, no lag, so fast.

If you have one you are lucky. I want one!

Not yet but I am seriously contemplating selling the Supra and my 335d Estate for a second hand mileage Tesla S. You can pick one up model 100 with 762bhp for around £50-60k with sub 40k miles and it will demolish most things and still return 300+ miles on a £10 charge! It’s a no brainier.

That’s something to be considered at the second hand end of the price range

/QUOTE]

It seems everyone is looking for a reason to say they are no good. Ok so the batteries are a serviceable part, but they will still last you 200k miles before even thinking about it. How much is your supra engine going to cost you In serviceable parts to do 200k...+ the 10k to try and get it to 700bhp in the first place.

Also consider the savings on running in the first place. 300 miles on a half hour fast charge.

We were talking about it at work, fuel/charge stations are going to become more of a social stop we think. Stop and get lunch while your car charges.

I want one anyway, it was unreal how fast it was.

Does it use more power driven hard? Of course, the same as any vehicle.

It's a no brainer. The batteries will last at least 200k from initial reports. To quote.....

"Tesla Batteries^Have 90% Capacity After 160,000 Miles, May^Last^For 500,000 miles. Way back at the dawn of the electric car era — about 10 years ago now — the knock on electric cars was that their^batteries^wouldn't^last^100,000 miles"

a) not a big enough sample yet

As with all batteries:

b) depends on external conditions / weather

c) depends on charge cycles / type of charge.

I think the fact one has covered 1 million miles on 2nd Bat pack is good enough for me and most.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1118293/Tesla-model-electric-car-one-million-miles-Elon-Musk/amp

Yes agreed on b and c. Use for me would be motorway mainly.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

I keep getting lease deal emails at the moment. £2000 deposit and £280 a month was the last one. That doesn’t even cover the depreciation you would lose if you bought one....and makes. then more affordable. I think the deals are to get a load of the model 3’s on the road.

Only problem I have with them....is I don’t like how any of them look. lol

Now if someone got one...tore it down...and put it all into a supra [emoji16]

I keep getting lease deal emails at the moment. £2000 deposit and £280 a month was the last one. That doesn’t even cover the depreciation you would lose if you bought one....and makes. then more affordable. I think the deals are to get a load of the model 3’s on the road.

Only problem I have with them....is I don’t like how any of them look. lol

Now if someone got one...tore it down...and put it all into a supra [emoji16]

The other problem is the spec. I wouldn't go for a base T3 as they're quickish but haven't near the potential of the Performance T3. That however is around £800 a month when I last checked.

I think the fact one has covered 1 million miles on 2nd Bat pack is good enough for me and most.

Well...They've made great strides at improving battery technology for sure...I just hope they've managed to consistently maintain the quality through production as it gets ramped up.

I refuse to read anything on the Daily Express site, but there are plenty of more reputable sites that do say similar. 10% depredation over 160k miles is pretty darn good.

However:

the most notable major events over the vehicle’s life time were the front drive unit replacement at 36,404 miles due to a part failure and two main battery replacements, one at 194,237 miles, the other at 324,044 miles. All three replacements were covered under the car’s 8-year, unlimited-mile warranty.

The first battery pack the Tesla Model S had experienced 1.2 miles of range lost per 10,000 miles while being driven about 17,000 miles per month and was replaced due to a battery chemistry issue. The second pack was losing about 4.7 miles every 10,000 miles driven, and its replacement was due to a defect in the battery assembly.

Warranty looks amazing to cover battery swaps like this. From: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-quality-durability-on-display-in-450k-mile-car-still-going-strong/

Check out his spreadsheet.

Well...They've made great strides at improving battery technology for sure...I just hope they've managed to consistently maintain the quality through production as it gets ramped up.

I refuse to read anything on the Daily Express site, but there are plenty of more reputable sites that do say similar. 10% depredation over 160k miles is pretty darn good.

However:

Warranty looks amazing to cover battery swaps like this. From: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-quality-durability-on-display-in-450k-mile-car-still-going-strong/

Check out his spreadsheet.

Yeah good point Pete. I guess we'll really see the full reliability over the next few years. I'd definitely be getting an extended warranty too.

• 3 weeks later...

Total junk, you'll have less issues having unprotected sex with a room full of hookers. Geez, just Google what goes wrong with these things. Whoever designed the transmission must have been still at school. Splied C/V joint shafts running un-lubricated inside the rear drive motor casings and they wonder why the motors croak due to a load of metal dust inside them....? I can complement their advertising department though, I know two people, both of whom I would call intelligent and savvy, who bought the things. Sadly both regretted it once the cars were spending more time being patched up than used. One came from a new Jaguar, I think some folk should just pay someone else to choose them a motor.

I drove one and was very impressed with the performance. 0 up to 80 is unreal and very addictive. But above that it can't be compared with a internal combustion car with similar power. I am also a bit concerned about safety. I watched this video recently with the model s in Russia which crashed and went up in flames.

My personal opinion is that if you are in the market for an electric car dont make any rush decisions. Every manufacturer will be bringing out model s competitors soon.

Piece of junk I know i someone that went back to a bmw 530d i personally have been in a few and the build quality is poor plus I dont care what anyone says it will never be as cheap as running a diesel over a long term period if you included purchase price then price of batteries plus eventually you will get stung for charging it