The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JDM RZ rear brake caliper refurb parts - what size is the piston?

rider

Having completed the refurb on my front brakes I've decided that I may as well do the same to the rears.

I bought in a spare set available to refurb but I'm struggling to find out a definitive on the piston size for the OE rear single pot calipers. Some eBay sellers sell kits for both NA and TT cars, others sell kits only for NA cars. Begs the question, are the jspec NA and TT brakes the same or not? I could just measure the pistons out of the set I have available that were sold to me as full set of genuine jspec TT brake calipers but I'd hate to take the sellers word as one of the front calipers turned out to be non OEM. Armed with the piston dimensions I could confirm the calipers I have are correct for the car ahead of buying in the parts to refurbish them.

If you could confirm the ones on your shelf are 43mm pistons that'd be helpful as that is what I've ordered (still to arrive). I came across sites offering up 41mm and 43mm pistons for the Supra single pot calipers but for some reason, I cannot recall a specific reason, I have taken a punt on the 43mm ones.

People need to be careful with the aftermarket pistons, and I am not just saying this because I sell my stainless steel one... I see plenty that are just gold irridite coated, or a black phosphor finish. This lasts no time at all in an application like a brake caliper piston and I have seen them rust enough to partially seize the caliper within 18 months. If you don't go stainless they MUST be hard chrome plated to a good depth.