The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Improving traction

Noz

Hi all. I dont have traction control.

I dont have the car back yet but I'm curious to what options I have as usually syvecs would have traction control setup. I used to spin at 420hp when the single kicked in, with lower gears.

I have an NA lsd and 345 tyres. Aside from setting up suspension correctly. What other options do I have to improve traction.

Running michilen pilot sports.

I've been looking at speed sensors and all sorts of abs installs. But I'm now thinking maybe investing in a better diff would be the option. Of course this would improve traction potential but not reduce engine power to allow for hook.

Aiming for 600hp.

Thoughts welcome.

Racelogic are they still going, but that replies on ABS sensors which you may not have by the sounds of it?

I have a TRD LSD with NA ratios I might sell http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?291987-Urgent-Diff-ID-and-advise-(UPDATED-pics)&highlight=diff, thinking about it the that ratio diff won't be helping with traction, or rather a lower ratio one might assist you?

Maybe a friendly map as well? One that can ramp in the boost slower than just bringing it on like a switch.

Adjustable anti-roll bars would help. I put Titan ones on mine and it helped combat wheel hop that I was getting and you can play around with 3 different stiffness settings. Diffs going to be the big one though, you can transform the way the car behaves with an uprated or more one more suited to 600+hp

Racelogic are they still going, but that replies on ABS sensors which you may not have by the sounds of it?

I have a TRD LSD with NA ratios I might sell http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?291987-Urgent-Diff-ID-and-advise-(UPDATED-pics)&highlight=diff, thinking about it the that ratio diff won't be helping with traction, or rather a lower ratio one might assist you?

I'd be interested to see how it handled against a typical A01B. You selling it? I might want a spare. I blew my A01A. I plan go collect a few trans and diffs as spares.

Maybe a friendly map as well? One that can ramp in the boost slower than just bringing it on like a switch.

Adjustable anti-roll bars would help. I put Titan ones on mine and it helped combat wheel hop that I was getting and you can play around with 3 different stiffness settings. Diffs going to be the big one though, you can transform the way the car behaves with an uprated or more one more suited to 600+hp

Maybe. Have yet to see the final dyno but so far the turbo isnt coming on as hard as I expected. Will have to see how it drives. Going to take little while just to be used to power again.

You wont have traction issues with 345 tyres and only 600hp

I hope not mate! Also hope it doesn't contribute to a new gearbox being needed. R154 wasnt planned on being a consumable :blink:

Have a race logic kit here, great bit of kit, dunno whether to put it into my new build or sell it on.

Anyone interested drop me a pm, full kit with the digital display

Theres a bit of wiring to do I thought. Personally I'd sell it if you dont have issues. What hp you running?

I'm only interested to see how people deal with it. I see these expensive diffs and wonder if theres really the hype.

I hope not mate! Also hope it doesn't contribute to a new gearbox being needed. R154 wasnt planned on being a consumable :blink:

I know that feeling, on my third R154 currently

If you are using a 420g on an NA lsd then you will be flying through the gears, very short ratio combo. First two gears will be next to useless in my experience.

I know that feeling, on my third R154 currently

If you are using a 420g on an NA lsd then you will be flying through the gears, very short ratio combo. First two gears will be next to useless in my experience.

Third lol omg. Making my panic now. 420g?

What hp are.ypu. I've read third hars shifting skills them commonly.

I'm hoping it lasts until I can save for a 6speed T56 conversion.

I'm hoping to sell the R154 and dive straight into the T56 and decide or find a bigger rear diff.

Usual poor traction is a car lowered too much on stiff rear springs, that squats on to its bump stops sending the already too high rear spring rate through the roof, a poor choice of LSD (Giken are THE BEST), and in the wet, too wide a tyre choice. If you have never driven a Supra on stock 16 inch rims and good dampers in the wet, you have no idea how bad some "mods" can make them :) I can recall some hot MKIV's that plain gave me the willies in the wet and weren't much nicer to drive on a dry road. The search for the right "stance" often leads to people finding the thing swapping ends unexpectedly or worse... Ask any recovery guy how many supercars they've scraped onto the bed when some hero fails to realize huge wide low profile tyres and a streaming wet motorway make poor bedfellows.

• 4 weeks later...
You wont have traction issues with 345 tyres and only 600hp

I can confirm at 70mph third gear the wheels light up. Even with the pilot sports and good tread.

I do think the car is really hard and that could be contributing to the slip. The thin tyres wont be helping.

For now. I think I'll research down the path of traction control and what parts I'm going to need to install wheel sensors.