The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Belt skipping a tooth

Glover

As frustrating as it is, I would remove the belt and realign the OEM match marks on the cam gears + crank pulley again and refit.

each of the cam gears should have a a line etched into them and the crank pulley is the white line to be matched to zero on the crank cover.

It’s okay I think we were over thinking it, the marks line up on the bottom crank to the mark on the engine and the marks on the cams line up with the grooves, we marked the belt but the belt would move one every time I believe ! Cranked it quite a few times by hand now and all the marks on the car line up perfect ! I could be wrong about the belt thing though if someone wants to correct me!

I don't think there's any requirement for the belt to be in the same place after a full revolution of the camshaft. The timing marks on each cam pulley should line up with the corresponding marks on the metal cover behind the pulleys, and the crank should line up too after a full rotation. I don't remember if there's a good mark on the main crank pulley, but there is one on the crank timing pulley.

Or another way, if you divided the number of teeth on the belt by the number of teeth on a cam pulley, you wouldn't get a whole number.

As long as the timing marks on the crank and the cams line up with the marks on the engine it will be fine, forget the belt

Yeah we did, we were just overthinking it and all the marks are lifting up fine. Fired it up and it’s running, just got to tweak it now to get it running spot on!

Yeah especially after me and my dad tackled the Blown head gasket ourselves. Started first time and when we got it ticking over nicely it sounded sweet! Just a few little things to rectify like the tick over, bleeding the water system because it’s got an airlock in the heater matrix now.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think there's any requirement for the belt to be in the same place after a full revolution of the camshaft. The timing marks on each cam pulley should line up with the corresponding marks on the metal cover behind the pulleys, and the crank should line up too after a full rotation. I don't remember if there's a good mark on the main crank pulley, but there is one on the crank timing pulley.

Or another way, if you divided the number of teeth on the belt by the number of teeth on a cam pulley, you wouldn't get a whole number.

Err, quite, quite, this man knows.... :)