The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS sensors - mega rip off

rider

Although you can still grab the last remaining remnants of front ABS sensors, the rears have been gone for a while now. I was trawling around looking at ABS options, including bespoke ones, and there are still a few rears out their from companies like Standard who retail cheap auto parts, cough. Advertised at over US$600. Crazy world when most sensors retail around £40. I'm fortunate as I have a spare second hand set. Hopefully this will be one item that Toyota bring back if their heritage parts ever get going. It'd be remiss not to support a safety feature service part after all.

I'm surprised there are no Chinese knock offs appearing especially when you see the price of these things. One day we might all end up running around without our 7.5A fuses. I know of a few sets being hoarded by owners, seems they aren't yet worth their weight in gold, but soon could be.

I would like traction control. But I don't have ABS. I've been looking at new types of sensors.

Is the Supra ABS system, using a passive sensor? I think it is.

I'm tempted to try and make a retrofit kit for the output of the sensor, for the Syvecs to pick up.

Suppose you'd only need to replicate the sensor signal as per the original and it would validate as a replacement also.

knowing Toyota I would bet my bottom dollar that this would work as a rear replacement sensor https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-Speed-Sensor-Front-Right-TOYOTA-YARIS-VITZ-89542-0D010-LEMARK-LAB229/263210589215?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota&epid=248931702&hash=item3d4892dc1f:g:JNYAAOSw46hbGALq

I have used plugs from various Toyotas cam plugs are the same across practically every Toyota which would leed me to believe you could use the sensor in some applications, why would you research and develop something you already have that works

Seeing the Lexus 300's up to 2002 used the same knuckle as the Supra you'd imagine the 300 series sensors have got to be the same fitment and they do look the same. You can get ES300 front and rear ABS sensors from US$13 which look identical apart from being shorter. It doesn't seem justifiable or reasonable that a bit of extra wire adds $100's to the price.

Edited by rider
link added (see edit history)

I have a celica one I am going to try, again looks very similar, and cost me about £25. My faults codes give me 2 that have failed. I only found out after I noticed the wire had been cut and very badly joined behind the dash.

it gives you a fault of 2 failing because iirc they are linked diagonally across the car so front right is also linked to back left ect.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of aftermarket ECU's expect and demand a square wave from the wheel speed sensors and the stock ones give a sine wave. I used to be able to get converters but they dried up. I have a box of components to build my own sine to square wave converters but no time to complete a batch.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?316889-Traction-Control-and-ABS-analogue-to-digital-converters&highlight=sine+wave

A lot of aftermarket ECU's expect and demand a square wave from the wheel speed sensors and the stock ones give a sine wave. I used to be able to get converters but they dried up. I have a box of components to build my own sine to square wave converters but no time to complete a batch.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?316889-Traction-Control-and-ABS-analogue-to-digital-converters&highlight=sine+wave

Chris, what else is needed in order to finish the batch.

Any electronic assembly work or just part collecting?

I'd be interested to complete the work and trial an installation.

Sorry, it will have to be achieved in my own good time, it's something else on the back boiler and not Supra specific. They are something I want to offer, but at the moment I want to keep it in house, no offence :) Thanks for the interest!

No offence taken Chris. I've built analog to digital converters before. I'd prefer to wait for something from yourself than build my own for the time being.

I need a pair of front sensors apparently as Whifbtiz couldn't get my traction control working as had no signal from either. So if someone knows a sensor that would fit, regardless of the wiring, I'd be interested. Changing the wiring/sensor is no biggie.

You could still get the front sensors very recently, it was the rear one side that went and now I think both rears are no longer available. I guess they see more debris flying their way than the front sensor wires get. You could check with the likes of TCB and Rock Auto to see if they are still available at the front. It is a bit unusual to lose both fronts at the same time though. Presumably they have checked the sensor terminal resistance has failed and its not just the ABS rings are clogged?

• 2 months later...
You could still get the front sensors very recently, it was the rear one side that went and now I think both rears are no longer available. I guess they see more debris flying their way than the front sensor wires get. You could check with the likes of TCB and Rock Auto to see if they are still available at the front. It is a bit unusual to lose both fronts at the same time though. Presumably they have checked the sensor terminal resistance has failed and its not just the ABS rings are clogged?

Looks like the front nearside is now discontinued.

Any luck with he Rav4 or IS300 sensors? I broke both of my rear abs sensors...

For £20 this would be worthwhile having a look at. I'd cut the wire as close to the sensor as possible and solder the new sensor onto the old wire to try to fashion a new sensor as these Lexus ones are too short for the Supra but have the same pickup and shape on the sensor head. Let us all know how you get on.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Probably something you have tried already but I had the ABS light come up on the dash of one of my previous Supras, and I can't remember why I disconnected the battery, but I did, and lo and behold, the light went off and my TC started working again! Didn't have any issues with it until I sold it many years later. Maybe I got lucky or perhaps, they actually just freak out for whatever reason and go in to a 'safe mode' of sorts, like a computer?